This Bites

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
What I'm getting at is, IMO Ford is responsible for the ADM's based on the lack of production at introduction.
I would agree with you, if the numbers agreed with it. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,800 Ford dealers in the United States... and since the "hot ticket" is the GT500, lets say (a ballpark figure) that 75% of them ordered an allotment of them. Assuming Ford meets the goal of 8000 units during the 07 run, then that would be 8000/(3,800 x .75) or 3 units per dealer. The only figure I could get on the number of SVT dealers was about 600 in the US (back in 2001). So going with that number, on average - each SVT dealer would have gotten approx. 13 units (all things being equal. But the reality of the situation was that the higher volume dealers got more units, with lesser volume dealers getting fewer).

It's easy to see the even with that above being approximated... the end consumer (you and me) would have been far better off with the "SVT dealership only" getting the GT500. Simply stated, the $20k markups on 3 units would equal about $4.5k on 13 units. The larger SVT dealers could (and probably would have) sold their entire allotments quite easily with an average $5K markup and made more money then they can under the existing circumstances. We would have won, the SVT dealerships would have won, and Ford would have won too. Problem is - seems that Ford apparently cared more for giving every dealer a piece of the pie then it did about giving the consumer a good value or honoring those SVT dealers who made that program what it was.

It's all pie-in-the-sky talk though. It is what it is... and it's ain't what it used to be ;-)

Last edited:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
sn8k said:
It's easy to see the even with that above being approximated... the end consumer (you and me) would have been far better off with the "SVT dealership only" getting the GT500. Simply stated, the $20k markups on 3 units would equal about $4.5k on 13 units. The larger SVT dealers could (and probably would have) sold their entire allotments quite easily with an average $5K markup and made more money then they can under the existing circumstances. We would have won, the SVT dealerships would have won, and Ford would have won too. Problem is - seems that Ford apparently cared more for giving every dealer a piece of the pie then it did about giving the consumer a good value or honoring those SVT dealers who made that program what it was.

Yup.

Interesting to note that up here in Canada, they kept the SVT dealer allotment intact for this year, but will reportedly kill it for next (08) MY. Strange how my local dealers keep insisting I should buy it now at 100 grand, and suggest that waiting to order an 08 at MSRP is not a good option because of potential manufacturing limits(even though I could theoretically order one from any unaware dealer just for the cost of certification). Then I remind them that they are being force feed the 07 cars and will have on the order of 15 to unload in the next six months, as well as the possibility of reduced allotment form unsold showroom spots, suddenly I am the enemy, and was not serious. Four times now I have offered different ammounts ranging from sticker to 15k over sticker, and yet I am not serious about the (breathlessly now) "NEW SHELBY?

I keep trying to engage the SOB's in the reverse logical argument that if Ford did a very simple thing by making ONE single production announcement of two or even three years at 9000 per year with the current allotment structure intact, they would have to find a way to move a FORCED allotment of 45 of these per SVT dealer. Then I ask them if they think they have the ability to retail each of these forced cars for the amount they say the market demands. Any dealer who suggests they would not make out like a bandit moving that many cars with a MSRP dealer profit of AT LEAST five grand per(actually more) shows the true atributes of their sickly breed.

Of course, the reply is that Ford has announced nothing to them, so their official stance is that it is a limited edition and should demand the premium.

Yes Ford is responsible, both directly and indirectly, and on the off chance they decide to offer up another super premium car or two(Shelby GT and Boss) they might just have a bunch of us show them the same reach around. As for the dealers, it is hard to fight Ebola, and Ford doesn't seem to understand why it is hemoraging so much.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i find it simply amazing that people will continue to shop and argue with dealers such as this!

i for one will not buy anything at a dealer that will lead the clients astray to bring in more revenue. money is not the core issue for a business, creating and retaining clientelle should be thier main goal. remember its only going to get easier and easier to go nation wide for the best service and prices. any dealer/salesman that will go out of thier way to develope that all important business relationship will have a customer for life and all the referalls that go with it. :idea:
basically anyone who flat out lies to me, or marks up any one of thier cars will not recieve any business from me!

modmayhem88

Established Member
bottom line, I'll wait 2-3 years from now to pick up a used GT500. Either that or I'll wait until a "regular" Cobra comes out in 09.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Poking around via email about 2 weeks ago, basically all of the dealers around me in So Cal (10ish) were asking $20k or more.

Hmmmmmmm :dw:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Dave01M3 said:
I know that wasn't me...

No no, i just couldnt find you one at the time.

You didnt, they were not regular posters, i was just trying to help.

Once again, Ford can't keep up with the demand, and people want them. So people will pay more. Simple economics.

Trust me, Ford COULD CARE less if the dealer makes money. I know this FIRST hand.

chuckstang

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
If there is such a demand that people are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars over retail, why can't Ford produce enough cars to sell the crap out of them the first year? Didn't they sell 500,000 mustangs in '65? And that was WAY more than was anticipated? Somehow though they built as many as the buyers wanted. Why can't they take advantage of the hype while it's fresh?

I don't know about other manufacturers, but Ford, seems to build this HUGE hype about a new product, then 3 years later when it's finally available, production is slow and they're hard to get. Why can't they step up production to build and sell 1/4 million cars while the hype is still there and the buyers are ready all in the first year?

What I'm getting at is, IMO Ford is responsible for the ADM's based on the lack of production at introduction.

Well Ford does keep some of the hype for a reason, but the production is much slower than a normal mustang because of the tranny and engine. The engine taking 2 hours to assemble from 2 employees and the tranny's and blowers I would think have a somewhat limited supply?

Users who are viewing this thread