This green decal is full of win

KYSVT

Banned
Not a cobra but here in KY i had an 02 Limited Edition ws6 and it worked exactly the same. Good post OP

Tractionless1

Established Member
:beer:

3000 miles a year, must be a special interest vehicle, limited production with documentation, list all modifications so you get full value if stolen or totaled, mine was insured at 60 k from new cost plus modifications, ( nice feeling knowing your covered after all the hard work and money you put into it) Especially with so many of these cars given away for a song now adays, now i'm all documented and registered and have certificates etc. with all modifications being appraised by people that ACTUALLY recognize this is a Modified Cobra and not just another mustang. , :rockon:

3,000 a year, and works for me as mine is a weekend bruiser..

Any other exemptions on the ins.? I saw most say you can only drive it to and from a car show; therefore, if you get in an accident going to the grocery store you aren't covered! If you're covered everywhere I'd like the name and contact info. for the insurance company please.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Just tried changing coverage from Grundy and they ended up being more expensive. I pay $800 for a $100K agreed value policy. They wanted double that so it's not good for everyone.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Dude just Google american collectors insurance or call them, you can find out on your own.

Requirements in NJ are:

Less than 3k miles per year
Must have a license for 10 years or more so must be 27 in nj
Car must be a limited production model so only cobras, bullits and mach1s would qualify. Or if you had a 7 up fox or something. Documentation is required.
Car is a required to be in a locked building on your property so garage is required. No carports.

I looked into this when I had my cobra but with an obd2 car like my 98 it doesn't matter here in nj as there is no sniffer for obd2 and I pay like $20 more per month with USAA for my gt so meh. Inspection for obd2 is literally plug in, check for cats visually (so a few hollowed ones would pass lol), check to make sure brakes work and check gas cap. Takes 15 minutes if you go when there are no cars and as long as not throwing any codes you are gtg.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Yeah in NJ they changed all the inspections about two years ago. All they test for is emissions, which is only plug into the OBDII port and visual for cats. You are allowed 1 monitor to fail or not be ready. In NJ they no longer check for safety issues, tint, tires etc.... So the only thing your avoiding with the collectors inspection is the OBDII check, which depending on your setup is good to avoid. On the downside with the collectors inspection you can not go over 6k miles for the two year the inspection is valid. You have to return after the two years to be re-inspected and issued a new sticker. They just check to make sure your odometer is working and thats it.

This option is good for some and not for others in NJ. I had Grundy Insurance and they were the cheapest and no mileage restrictions.

Last edited:

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Yeah in NJ they changed all the inspections about two years ago. All they test for is emissions, which is only plug into the OBDII port and visual for cats. You are allowed 1 monitor to fail or not be ready. In NJ they no longer check for safety issues, tint, tires etc.... So the only thing your avoiding with the collectors inspection is the OBDII check, which depending on your setup is good to avoid. On the downside with the collectors inspection you can not go over 6k miles for the two year the inspection is valid. You have to return after the two years to be re-inspected and issued a new sticker. They just check to make sure your odometer is working and thats it.

This option is good for some and not for others in NJ. I had Grundy Insurance and they were the cheapest and no mileage restrictions.
Valid point! One other thing i considered that definitely made me get this, was spot inspections, my friend got popped no cats,tinted windows, no front plate etc.Just because they dont care at DMV, still doesnt make it legal!! That wont be happening to me anytime soon!! And also emissionsarent that easy at DMV, most people like me got rid of all that egr crap and even when plugged into the obd had codes thrown that couldnt be turned off in tune, and if could would be costly as that has also happeend to my friends, bottom line, i use weekends, no more worries whatsoever and 289.76 to be exact with insured value of 60k! That definitely works for me!l:rockon:

Last edited:

zincslowbra

Established Member
nice! cant say enough about my zinc colored sticker to match my paint, cops even stare, prob the only good thing bout jersey with cars

zincslowbra

Established Member
Dude just Google american collectors insurance or call them, you can find out on your own.

Requirements in NJ are:

Less than 3k miles per year
Must have a license for 10 years or more so must be 27 in nj
Car must be a limited production model so only cobras, bullits and mach1s would qualify. Or if you had a 7 up fox or something. Documentation is required.
Car is a required to be in a locked building on your property so garage is required. No carports.

I looked into this when I had my cobra but with an obd2 car like my 98 it doesn't matter here in nj as there is no sniffer for obd2 and I pay like $20 more per month with USAA for my gt so meh. Inspection for obd2 is literally plug in, check for cats visually (so a few hollowed ones would pass lol), check to make sure brakes work and check gas cap. Takes 15 minutes if you go when there are no cars and as long as not throwing any codes you are gtg.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

<american collectors also

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
We have Collector plates in Ohio, as many states do. You don't have to go through your insurance company, but the only restriction is that you must have another vehicle that is your daily-driver. No mileage limit, and none of the ridiculous state inspections.

Users who are viewing this thread