Tires on high hp DD

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Hankook R-S3s are well received by everyone I have ever known to have them.

They lean in favor of dry grip over wet but they aren't bad in the wet.

MastaAce03

Established Member

kaz109

Established Member
Did you get rid of the Camaro?

The idea of having to buy $350 tires every 6-8k miles isn't terribly appealing :/

I didn't think I would ever see ppl as cheap as ppl on the srt4 site and yet this site proves me wrong time and time again. Dude suck it up... you wanted a high hp daily now live with everything it comes with. My C63 is not at all what I would consider high hp but my tires last 6k miles and even less after a track day...but I am not naive in thinking I can have all the grip and still last 12-15k miles.

You have a 70k car with 707hp and pretty much pennies for maintenance ....now you want all grip tires that last forever lol

Troponin

Established Member
Here's tirerack test results: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=217

Mpss: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=218

Results: Indy 500/MPSS/PZero
Dry - 8.42/8.55/8.12
Wet - 7.84/8.30/8.32

Indy 500 almost the same dry as the mpss behind in the wet. Pzero almost the same wet as the mpss behind in the dry.

Largest size I can find is a 285. So the testing above is probably done with something like 245s. Would love to see them in 305s

Troponin

Established Member
So Discount ordered the wrong tire when I went to have the tires put on. Now they are telling me that Michelin discontinued the 305/35-20 MPSS and I can't find it anywhere.

Ugh! I feel screwed here. I really didn't want to go to a DR, but it doesn't seem like any other tire performs close to the MPSS. Is there any other tire outside of DRs that might perform even close to the MPSS?

Troponin

Established Member
305/30 an option? I know those are still in stock at some online vendors.

Those are almost an inch and a half smaller than the stock tires, so they are out. That is the size the guy ordered that was wrong. The choices are basically 305/35s or 315/30s in 20s/ I have to step down to a 19 to keep it close.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
So Discount ordered the wrong tire when I went to have the tires put on. Now they are telling me that Michelin discontinued the 305/35-20 MPSS and I can't find it anywhere.

Ugh! I feel screwed here. I really didn't want to go to a DR, but it doesn't seem like any other tire performs close to the MPSS. Is there any other tire outside of DRs that might perform even close to the MPSS?

go with 295/35/20 mpss. that's what i have on my 20x11s. theyre as wide as nitto 315. only 10mm narrower than the 305s

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Wow. That is a significant size difference. Sound like changing rims will open more options for you. Do you want factory replicas or are you going to look for a new style wheel?

Good luck either way. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Troponin

Established Member
Wow. That is a significant size difference. Sound like changing rims will open more options for you. Do you want factory replicas or are you going to look for a new style wheel?

Good luck either way. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

I got 10.5" replicas for the rear.

Yes, I have heard many times that the MPSS run wide. In fact, this is why I didn't want to go with the MPSS in 315s, because they will be closer to a 320 or 325 in some other brands and then I would have fitment issues.

Unfortunately, 295s create a large diameter difference over stock.

Zemedici

Established Member
Dude, just put drag radials on it, an dont drive the thing like a jackass in the rain. I dont understand why you guys insist on reinventing the wheel. I've got customers with 850-900whp cars that they daily drive on NT05Rs & MT ET Streets. My car makes 620 and its on NT05Rs, and Tanyas car makes 672rwhp, and is on 305 / 35 / 20 ET Street Rs. Just pony up.

You're asking for a tire that's cheap, has a long life, and will hold down 650whp. Not going to happen. The MTs WILL hold the power down, but they will NOT last. Just part of it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Dude, just put drag radials on it, an dont drive the thing like a jackass in the rain. I dont understand why you guys insist on reinventing the wheel. I've got customers with 850-900whp cars that they daily drive on NT05Rs & MT ET Streets. My car makes 620 and its on NT05Rs, and Tanyas car makes 672rwhp, and is on 305 / 35 / 20 ET Street Rs. Just pony up.

You're asking for a tire that's cheap, has a long life, and will hold down 650whp. Not going to happen. The MTs WILL hold the power down, but they will NOT last. Just part of it.

Going to have to agree here.

Before quitting the track, I DD'd my 600rwhp 5.0 with 275/65 15" ET Streets and some 165 bicycle tires up front. Pay to play man.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I ran DR's on my 2007 Mustang on the street and they did the trick pretty well. I would use them to daily on the Hellcat, but I plan on taking it on the road course. I'm looking for a shorter, multi-layer sidewall for cornering, but I am avoiding having 2 or 3 sets of wheels and tires.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Drag radials and dont drive like a moron in the rain.

yep. 555r's are the best all around tire. They are decent in the rain as long as your not going 90-100. They handle well, and work well as a sticky tire. With mixed driving you can get 10-15K out of them. I've had them on pretty much every car I've had. I am currently running them on my stock GT500 PP rims. Car made 650 and dead hook once in 2nd. At the strip I can go low 1.7's on them.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
my previous car had 640 whp and the Michelin Pilots were essentially useless!

there is really no point on owning a high HP car if ur gonna put radials on it.

lotta talk about how a DR is dangerous in the rain. yea, maybe they are but you know whats FAR more dangerous? is mashing the pedal and losing traction and smashing into a telephone pole sideways at 70+ mph!

like others stated u jus can't drive fast in rain but imo there in no happy medium for you. once you start getting over the 600 wheel hp mark u need some sort of DR at least and the 555r is ur best option.

I'm sure if u can afford a Hellcat u can afford to buy an extra set of tires each year.....

Healthforhazard

Established Member
R888 have better water shedding grooves than most DR but they are also like 5/32 tread or something shallow and will lose that ability quickly. Once they are slick they will perform in the rain similar to a worn DR.

Jefe

Established Member
Im going to be in the same boat soon. PZeros struggle to hook up from a 50 roll so I need something stickier and I would be thrilled with 10k miles out of a set. We've all seen the horror stories on this site with the 555Rs in rain but you have to remember we have better weight distribution and weigh a whole lot more than the 03/04 Cobra.

There are a few guys going with the Conti ExtemeDWS06 but I cant find anyone to tell me how well they hook up. I ran them on my SRT Jeep and they never spun but that was 300 less hp. Great tire and they come with a warranty.

That Hankook Ventus R-S3 looks promising. You may not be able to go as wide as you want but what about these:

BFG GForce Sport Comp 2
Goodyear Efficient Grip Runonflat
Nitto 555 G2
Kumho Ecsta PS91
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2
Toyo R888R(actual water channel vs R888)

Jefe

Established Member
@Troponin What tires did you go with? I need to buy some rears in about a week and have a dyno day and auto cross track day coming up. Other than that they will be street tires.

I was dead set on getting the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but Im leaning towards the R888R now. They wont last long but they should be fun on the street for at least 6K miles. Im also hearing good things on the Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires

Users who are viewing this thread