To drive it? or not to drive it?

dcgtconv

Established Member
I bought my 2000R about three years ago - I put around 40 miles on it in that time, it now has 164.4 miles on the clock and I am the 4th owner, located in Alberta Canada. I bought it for an investment, but I am at the point where I want to sell it to buy something I can drive without guilt. I have the car currently listed on the Canadian site Kijiji for $85,000 CAD ($61,000 USD). Best offer I had so far was $70,000 CAD ($50,000 USD). I think this is to low for the mileage of the car, but am I wrong? What do you think this car should be fetching? It has everything including the black book, but the black book is missing the dash plaque, engineer bios and the assembly line pics. If I sold the 2000R, I was contemplating getting a GT350 or GT500 (if I can find one for sale) and drive that car. But if my 2000R with 164 miles is worth the same price as a car with say, 2500 miles, then maybe I should just keep it and actually drive it. Would appreciate the groups thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Darryl

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Drive it. I bought my 95R and 00R to enjoy them and drive whenever I can. They are awesome low mileage cars that will hopefully maintain value. If I’m going a few hundred miles I trailer them.

Yours is certainly worth more than $50. I recall talking to someone with a car like yours in Canada, but to me it wasn’t worth the premium since I plan to drive AND enjoy it.

If I were you I’d keep it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03SVT10

Established Member
I don't think Kijiji is the best place for your car. Surprised you got a 70K offer. Probably BS offer anyway. If you want top dollar while keeping the mileage under 200, I think you need to advertise elsewhere.

You can't drive any of the other cars in your sig?

Personally I would keep it, maybe drive it a little, watch the market and sell when you can score the most money for it. Or when you reach your target selling price.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
My opinion is; you woulda been a lot happier buying that car with 2,000 miles on it. Then you could have driven it 500 miles a year, with no guilt, and likely not affecting the value much either. These super-low mile cars are a PITA, but that's JMHO.

My modus operandi is to buy something nice, with low (not super-low) miles, then baby it and keep it pristine, and enjoy the heck out of it. Then sell it at some point and get most (or all) of my money back.

I understand what you're doing, and some folks have made fortunes buying cars for investment. But others have gone belly up. So it's a coin toss. Main thing is IMO to have fun with these cars. And it's REALLY hard to have fun if your car has to sit in the garage and you have to worry about it all the time. Of course, it can be fun if you make a big profit when you sell it, but that's never happened to me. I hope it happens for you! Good luck with whatever you decide.

dcgtconv

Established Member
Drive it. I bought my 95R and 00R to enjoy them and drive whenever I can. They are awesome low mileage cars that will hopefully maintain value. If I’m going a few hundred miles I trailer them.

Yours is certainly worth more than $50. I recall talking to someone with a car like yours in Canada, but to me it wasn’t worth the premium since I plan to drive AND enjoy it.

If I were you I’d keep it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I get the itch to drive the car every time I sit in it and start it up - it drives me crazy. I am starting to get the feeling that putting on a few hundred miles isn't going to affect the value that much. Thanks for the feed back

dcgtconv

Established Member
I don't think Kijiji is the best place for your car. Surprised you got a 70K offer. Probably BS offer anyway. If you want top dollar while keeping the mileage under 200, I think you need to advertise elsewhere.

You can't drive any of the other cars in your sig?

Personally I would keep it, maybe drive it a little, watch the market and sell when you can score the most money for it. Or when you reach your target selling price.
I know, my options for listing in Canada are limited right now. Once the borders open up again I will try Bring a Trailer or Ebay. Unfortunately I painted myself into a bit of a corner with some of my other cars. The 1990 7up is the same boat as the Cobra R, to low of original miles (858 on that one), the 69 is a MCA gold winner and to keep that value up I trailer it. I do drive the Boss, 79 pick up and 68 vert. if I don't sell it in the coming weeks I think I will spend some time driving it this summer. Thanks for your reply

dcgtconv

Established Member
I think a 00R with the that mileage should be in the range of 55k to 60k. And I think that's a deal considering the rarity, and performance value even in today's world.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
looking at some of the sales results from last year and Hagerty Valuation tool I think 60 is the right number for my car. but as always there needs to be a buyer that agrees with me lol. Thanks for your feedback

dcgtconv

Established Member
My opinion is; you woulda been a lot happier buying that car with 2,000 miles on it. Then you could have driven it 500 miles a year, with no guilt, and likely not affecting the value much either. These super-low mile cars are a PITA, but that's JMHO.

My modus operandi is to buy something nice, with low (not super-low) miles, then baby it and keep it pristine, and enjoy the heck out of it. Then sell it at some point and get most (or all) of my money back.

I understand what you're doing, and some folks have made fortunes buying cars for investment. But others have gone belly up. So it's a coin toss. Main thing is IMO to have fun with these cars. And it's REALLY hard to have fun if your car has to sit in the garage and you have to worry about it all the time. Of course, it can be fun if you make a big profit when you sell it, but that's never happened to me. I hope it happens for you! Good luck with whatever you decide.
you are absolutely correct. I wish I did buy a car with more miles on it and these are a PITA! thanks for your reply

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
If that car sells for less than $60K US, that is a good deal! The 00R is an amazing vehicle. I recommend driving it sparingly. I bought mine in 2016 with 750 miles. It now has 1250. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of those miles!

I also recommend removing the original wheels/tires to preserve the tires. When I take my R out, I want to spin and slide... it’s crazy fun. You wouldn’t want to do that on the irreplaceable original tires though.

TFStang

Established Member
I had the same situation, so I bought two. One with 129 miles and the other with 3K miles. I must say the one with 3K miles was enjoyed a lot more than the garage art with 129 miles. I say try to trade for one you can drive and possibly pull some cash out of the one sitting in your garage. Once you start driving a 00R, you will wonder why you didn’t do it earlier and more often. Car is definitely worth north of $50K, but if you want $50K for it I’ll take it off your hands. :)

dcgtconv

Established Member
Thanks everyone for their replies. I have decided to keep the 2000R for now. I am going to purge my 69 SCJ and 90 7 up and search for a 2020 GT 500. This isolation time is giving me to much time to think lol.

03SVT10

Established Member
I know, my options for listing in Canada are limited right now. Once the borders open up again I will try Bring a Trailer or Ebay. Unfortunately I painted myself into a bit of a corner with some of my other cars. The 1990 7up is the same boat as the Cobra R, to low of original miles (858 on that one), the 69 is a MCA gold winner and to keep that value up I trailer it. I do drive the Boss, 79 pick up and 68 vert. if I don't sell it in the coming weeks I think I will spend some time driving it this summer. Thanks for your reply

NP. I wish I had your car troubles .

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I would suggest not driving it (to preserve the most value). They are only "wrapper" cars once. Some people are into that (Im not). You could not have picked a worse time to be attempting to sell anything. Maybe this summer things will settle down.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Thanks everyone for their replies. I have decided to keep the 2000R for now. I am going to purge my 69 SCJ and 90 7 up and search for a 2020 GT 500. This isolation time is giving me to much time to think lol.

Well, it doesn't seem like you're 'suffering' all that much, hahahaha! You still have some toys available....................

I love Canada; born in Halifax, NS many years ago. Still visit often. My father just celebrated his 100th birthday up there. He got a speeding ticket from the Mounties 6 months ago, at age 99. Maybe he'll buy your 2000R!!!! ;)

-

Users who are viewing this thread