Too much for stock motor?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Like most of us I want to take my car to the edge without falling off. My motor is stock w/35k miles on it. Mods are in my sig. I'm getting a Vortech V2 SQ kit w/aftercooler and 3.1 pulley. What numbers should I expect and do you all think I'm going to far for a stock motor? Also, any recommendations on mods (w/o getting forged internals that's about 10k miles down the road) to maximize performance? I'm already looking into a front k-member kit w coilovers, panhard bar, rear steeda springs and full length subframe connectors.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
450-460whp is generaly the rule for the limit for Mach1 motors, after that you should REALLY get forged internals.

Here is my line of thinking. I just bought a bare Teksid block, I'm looking at a few forged stroker kits for it as well as some stage II FI cams- I'll keep the Mach heads since they are really good stock. Since I'm leaving in Hawaii in June of next year (8 more months) I can survive with a lower HP# until I can get everything put together in CONUS. Then I can really get crazy and get a different head unit and or pulley, bigger injecters, and viper spec T56 w 331 gears.

I guess the better question would have been can my motor last 8 months until I can build a better one? I'm "guestimating" that I'll be @ appx 470ish RWHP.

Isn't someone on this board running 490's on a stock Mach motor?

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I just turned 71,000 miles on my Mach of which 65,000 have been supercharged. With methanol injection and an electric water pump I turned 540rwhp. I run headers, catless exhaust and Borla stingers. I change the oil every 2,500 miles and clean the K&N every other oil change. Knock on wood I have never had any issues with the motor and she still runs like the day I bolted on the Vortech.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
You can run that much whp, but take it easy for those 8 months.

will do...I still need a good clutch and 31 spline axles. But those will have to wait too. Shipping to Hawaii is EXPENSIVE..

And Mr. Mach-ete 540 is damn impressive. Comforting to hear that you've got that many miles with the Vortech. I can't wait to get her bolted on.

Thanks all for all the info- it's greatly appreciated. I'll post #'s and pics once I get her hooked up.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
The most important thing is your tune. I am running 11.1 A/F at WOT and with 12 degrees of timing I put down 462 rwhp and 461 rwtq at 10 psi. I think most guys on here will agree that the 450 - 470 range is pretty safe for the factory internals!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
um..3.1, isn't that a 10-12psi pulley?

450-470..just play it safe for 8 months. ALSO, remember, with centrif. blowers you are in vacuum alot of the time. posit displ. hit boost alot sooner. So, for the lower rpms (unless you stick your foot in it alot), you won't be putting much boost in it....in essence, creating much power.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
um..3.1, isn't that a 10-12psi pulley?

450-470..just play it safe for 8 months. ALSO, remember, with centrif. blowers you are in vacuum alot of the time. posit displ. hit boost alot sooner. So, for the lower rpms (unless you stick your foot in it alot), you won't be putting much boost in it....in essence, creating much power.

I figure the 4.10's will help with the RPM issue. The thing I love about the Centri's is once they start to pull they pull hard through the entire RPM range.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to go forged now or wait til I get back to conus. I picked up a Teksid for dirt cheap and found a forged 5.1 stroker kit for 2200 shipped here. By the time it's built it will only run me about 3500. Pretty cheap all things considered. But if I include the engine build + parts with the SC build + parts I'm looking at 8500-9000 total investment (including tuning. But if I just do the SC+install+tune and take it easy til June I can save about a grand on the engine build and I can put some of the $ into a good clutch and axles right now (and gauges). The other thing if I wait I can actually build the motor right with decent cams and and a good port job on the heads.

Basically do I want a 470ish RWHP car now or a 550-600ish car right now. Decisions decisions. Practicality tells me to wait on the engine because 500+ in Hawaii is rediculous. On the other hand 500+ ANYWHERE is a kick in the ass.

Last edited:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I figure the 4.10's will help with the RPM issue. The thing I love about the Centri's is once they start to pull they pull hard through the entire RPM range.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to go forged now or wait til I get back to conus. I picked up a Teksid for dirt cheap and found a forged 5.1 stroker kit for 2200 shipped here. By the time it's built it will only run me about 3500. Pretty cheap all things considered. But if I include the engine build + parts with the SC build + parts I'm looking at 8500-9000 total investment (including tuning. But if I just do the SC+install+tune and take it easy til June I can save about a grand on the engine build and I can put some of the $ into a good clutch and axles right now (and gauges). The other thing if I wait I can actually build the motor right with decent cams and and a good port job on the heads.

Basically do I want a 470ish RWHP car now or a 550-600ish car right now. Decisions decisions. Practicality tells me to wait on the engine because 500+ in Hawaii is rediculous. On the other hand 500+ ANYWHERE is a kick in the ass.

Man I think that you need to wait and do it right and forge it. If money would have permitted it that's what I would have done. I just got such a great deal on my kit that I could not pass it up. It will be well worth the wait when you can throw some serious boost at it!

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Man I think that you need to wait and do it right and forge it. If money would have permitted it that's what I would have done. I just got such a great deal on my kit that I could not pass it up. It will be well worth the wait when you can throw some serious boost at it!

+1

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

The 4.10s will definitely help. But if you stay with stock internals, I wouldnt' do the gears....if you have the gears already...then forge it. The fun factor won't let you keep the foot out of it.

+2

BM1

Established Member
Your stock motor will eventually pop if you put a blower on it. Period.

Expect to spend $10,000+ when it's all said and done for a new bottom end including the blower kit.

It's not worth it at all.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Your stock motor will eventually pop if you put a blower on it. Period.

Expect to spend $10,000+ when it's all said and done for a new bottom end including the blower kit.

It's not worth it at all.

REally?.......putting a blower on it will pop it?.....so, it doesnt' matter if it is 6 or 12 psi or tune or driving habits? That was a pretty bold and ignorant statement. A crappy tune, sticking your foot in it all the time, high psi, or a combination of them is what will kill the stock short block. NOT a blower itself.:bash:

BM1

Established Member
REally?.......putting a blower on it will pop it?.....so, it doesnt' matter if it is 6 or 12 psi or tune or driving habits? That was a pretty bold and ignorant statement. A crappy tune, sticking your foot in it all the time, high psi, or a combination of them is what will kill the stock short block. NOT a blower itself.:bash:

Enjoy your time bomb. A Mach WILL blow even on 6 pounds due to the shithole bottom end. It doesn't matter how good your tune is. The cheap rods cannot handle the torque.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Enjoy your time bomb. A Mach WILL blow even on 6 pounds due to the shithole bottom end. It doesn't matter how good your tune is. The cheap rods cannot handle the torque.

I am taking that you are speaking from experience? Anything is a time bomb waiting explode. That's just the chance that you take. If you research and read you will find that there are several MACH owners on here that have been successful with 6-12 psi of boost. Heck one owner has been blown for about 3 years. I have been running 10 psi for about 6 months now. :banana:

BM1

Established Member
I am taking that you are speaking from experience? Anything is a time bomb waiting explode. That's just the chance that you take. If you research and read you will find that there are several MACH owners on here that have been successful with 6-12 psi of boost. Heck one owner has been blown for about 3 years. I have been running 10 psi for about 6 months now. :banana:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Buying a blower kit for $4,000 is a ridiculously bad decision on these motors. You will end up spending double that when it's all said and done.

I guess if your goal is wasting money on a shitty platform go for it. I personally don't even like this car. A Cobra would have been better but I am notorious for impulse buying.

Spartacus

Banned
Wow. Someone is bitter. You havent even done any of this have you? Everything you post everywhere you post it is negative. If you dont like your car trade it for a honda then you can have all the rice excuses in the book.

btw, even if you had bought a cobra we would still beat you. Mod for mod the Mach 1 will always win!

Go hang yourself now.

Users who are viewing this thread