TR6 Plug Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

M240Bravo

Established Member
I have TR6s in my whippled 600 tune and I have really bad idle. Thinking of using something different.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I was running the tr6 in my set up had a bad popping sound at idle and bad stupder at 1200 to 2200 rpms. Talk to my budding whos a svt mechanic. He said go back to the motorcraft stock plug , gab it at 50 and see what happens. Changed the plugs today. my car runs better then it ever did with thoses tr6s. I read alot of poeple saying after they have done the pully change that they have had the same prob. Ive been chasing this prob for three months. Seems my car likes the stocker plugs better. Mods on my car are 276 pully change kn filter . She runs like a stipped ass ape going after pussy now. Just my two cents on thoses tr6 plugs. When all eles fails go back to the stockers. Best of luck every one....

IDK man, I'd keep an eye on those plugs. It may feel great but detonation could occur by running a stock heat range plug and that wide of a gap especially when adding 5-6psi of boost over stock. You really should try the NGK tr6ix or the autolite 103's. But then again I'm not a svt mechanic.

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
there is a 2 heat range cooler motorcraft platinum plug available. I would maybe use those instead of the stockers. I still say gap is the key no matter what plug you run. Too hot a plug in a forced induction, high compression or alchohol car and you will melt the tip. These cars were force inducted from the factory gapped at .052-.056. thats a hell of a gap but with the right spark curve they obviously thought it was safe. Safe enough they abandoned the knock sensor system they were having problems with. I run the autolight 103's with no idle problems or major driveability concerns, but I also gapped them at .035. I am considering the motorcraft platinum now just because the autolights dont seem to be staying clean, (I pull shit apart and keep an eye on things regularly) that tells me they are a little too cold. You want tr6's without a rough idle, try gapping them a little wider than .032...

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
Well i know the plugs im using are a single platnum plug. I dont know guys but my prob with the misfire and shitty idle started when i changed to the tr6 plugs. Took her out today runs like a whole new car. All im saying here is what my cars doing. Best of luck to every one facing this prob.

Blueline

Established Member
After reading this thread i decided to change my plugs. I had the TR6's in there when I bought it. I checked the plugs when I got the car and decided I would be changing them soon, they were pretty much done. So the other day I decided to change the plugs and try out the TR6IX's. All I can say is WOW! The car feels like a totally different car. Now, I cant say if it was because the Tr6s were not good, or just old. I didnt have any problems with the TR6's, but now she pulls like a freight train. Car idles perfect and feels great too. Just want to clarify, I dont know if it feels better just because they are new plugs or what, just figured I would post my experience.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Why do some of you guys call those plugs, tr7ix?

I thought they're called tr6ix???

You're confusing the F out of me. LOL.

03 VENOM

Established Member
I've heard many different opinions on how and what tool to use for gapping plugs. Spark plug gap tool? Or gently tap plug on a piece of wood to close gap?

Thanks in advance.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
Why do some of you guys call those plugs, tr7ix?

I thought they're called tr6ix???

You're confusing the F out of me. LOL.

The TR7 is the plug model that is a heat range colder than the TR6. The IX is the designation for Iridium.

stang8762

Established Member
I have a new set or TR6 plugs gapped at .030 in my turbo cobra and i have a slight hesitation at 1500-2000rpm .. i wonder if this could be my prob .

I thought iridium plugs were not that good for boosted cars? or is this a misconception?

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
I have a new set or TR6 plugs gapped at .030 in my turbo cobra and i have a slight hesitation at 1500-2000rpm .. i wonder if this could be my prob .

I thought iridium plugs were not that good for boosted cars? or is this a misconception?

lol I should have a dollar for every person who posted in this thread with the same kinda question

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Why does no-one try a wider gap with the TR6's? Is the risk of spark blow out that bad? AFAIK there's no repercussion aside from a loss of power and you can always go back to a tighter gap if it happens.

stang8762

Established Member
Im going to say it i tried swapping to the NGK TR6 ix plugs gapped at .030 and it solved 90% of my hesitation on my 99 turbo cobra . It still hesitates while cold or after i shut the car off for 15 min or more at 1700-2100rpm but after it sits idleing for 5-10min the car has no more hesitation .

My TR6 copper plugs gapped at .030 were new ... THe Iridium plugs worked

Its worth swapping plugs .. just do it ..

Last edited:

04screamingvert

Established Member
Tr6ix are in and I gaped them at .040 to start with. My stock plugs are have a gap of .045 so with higher psi of 10.6 I feel this is a good place to start. I did try to regal the tr6 plugs that my tuner put in the car. He had them at .032 so I went up to .040 with some small improvement then I open them up to .045 that was worse than the .032. So I put the stock plugs back in and it was a big change back to the way it ran before the pulley change and tr6 plugs. So now I am going try the tr6ix plug hoping for performance of the standard tr6 and driving quality of the stockers . Wish me luck

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
NGK TR6 gapped @ .35 with a feeler gauge. I like em no problems here. Almost returned them after all the neg responses but figured I'd give them a try.

Spoolx

Established Member
NGK TR6 gapped @ .35 with a feeler gauge. I like em no problems here. Almost returned them after all the neg responses but figured I'd give them a try.

wow .35 huh? Thats a pretty big gap.. didnt know they could go that big.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
What plugs should i use for my 2.8 kb with 22lbs of boost and meth injection.. I have TR6 but im having what feels like it bogs down at 5k rpms and from a stop feels like its running super rich then takes off like a rocket
gapped at .26

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard many different opinions on how and what tool to use for gapping plugs. Spark plug gap tool? Or gently tap plug on a piece of wood to close gap?

Thanks in advance.

For the iridium plugs I gently tapped the end on side of my tool chest to get the gap I wanted.

SBVERT03

Established Member
I know im bringing back a thread from the dead, but I have a question regarding an issue that has arose with my car after doing a pulley swap with big help from two other members on here. We put on a 2.76 pulley, snub idler and bracketr6, swapped the belt and plugs, and loaded the tune from Bob Kurgan. The plugs I am running are tr6's gapped at .028. The problem I am having is the car has a miss at around 5500 rpm under WOT. It almost feels like traction control kicks in but it is off. The car runs great other than that and very strong. It even idles just fine. Kurgan suggested I recheck the gaps and maybe close the gap some, but aren't I already running a small gap? Should I try switching plugs to say a br7ef or tr6ix? Or do you think this is a fuel/tune issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread