Traction on the street

tvanlant

Established Member
I'm having trouble getting the car to hook on the street.

Symptom: hooks initially, but starts spinning at the top of 1st. Then shifts to 2nd and blows 2nd away. I can pedal 2nd and get it to hook after a few pedals, but by then the race is usally lost. I also have to manually shift it or it will shift right to 3rd. Does this with or without traction control on.

Setup: Auto, 650-700 rwhp, MT ET PRO radials on back, skinnies on front, UPR non-adj poly lower control arms, BMR relo brackets, strange single adjustable shocks, battery in trunk, sway bar delete, dss driveshaft with -2* pinion angle.

Ive tried all the holes on the BMR brackets. Stock hole works the best. I've tried full soft to full stiff on the shocks with no noticeable difference.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Clipboard

Established Member
you want 650 rwhp to hook on the street of which has no consistency? only thing i can tell you is to get more rubber in the back or change your ring and pinion

tvanlant

Established Member
At 630 rwhp it would never slip a tire in any gear, on any shift, with stock suspension. I recently added 30-50 hp and that seemed to be over the traction threshold, so I added the suspension parts to no avail. Even bought a new set of the same mt et pros and nothing changed.

There are guys with more horsepower (and especially more torque) that are hooking on this same street.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Are you heating them up? What psi? I run 25 for normal use 17-18 for fun. same et pro with 700whp and I', stick so harder on tires. I can dead hook on shitty streets 90% of the time and always dead hook top of first.

tvanlant

Established Member
Do u have any suspension work?
Ive tried 12-26 psi, no noticeable difference. Ive tried no burnout to john force burnout, no noticeable difference.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes, d spec shocks, bmr springs, upr heim joint upper and lower control arms, upr anti roll bar, bmr relo brackets, front sway delete with upr radiator support, big and littles with et pro out back on 15x10s. I get a little spin if I don't heat them up but they get sticky quick and then they hook. I leave on the street around 2k, still need to install my 2 step then I can play with launch rpm.

tvanlant

Established Member
So you have a stick car? I wonder if the different gearing helps. What do you think I should do with my setup?

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
3.15 rear gear? Do you have a torque converter? I know of two guys with 1k+ that hook of these tires with autos. One is a turbo the other centri.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Odd how is your rear sway bar setup? stock bar? the anti roll bar added some serious traction even on street tires for me. I run my lower control arms in the top hole on the bmr relo brackets. also did you set everything with the car weight on the tires? pinion angle etc.?

tvanlant

Established Member
Steeda sway bar relocation. Stock panhard bar too.
I checked pinion angle with the jack stands under the axle tubes and front jacked in the air so the car was level. I dont have the ability to adjust pinion angle with my current parts.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Stock panhard? are you lowered? that could be an issue. I would say you need to find someone with ramps locally. I set my pinion angle on jack stands then read the bmr recommended all four wheels supporting the weight of the car, made no adjustments got it on ramps and I was off 1 degree. I have pinion set to 0, but that is withheim joint control arms.

tvanlant

Established Member
Stock ride height. Stock sway bar and panhard bar. I will have to get an adjustable upper before I can adjust pinion angle.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You have stock upper control arm? Do you spin or hop? I would replace the upper asap with an adjustable poly or heim and set pinion angle on ramps.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I could make my car work on the street going 8.7's....

Geometry becomes your friend at this point. Upper c/a and mount to start with, then move on to the lowers, possibly lcas,

feel free to call and we can discuss options for you
beef
513-478-1965

hopony

Established Member
Stock ride height. Stock sway bar and panhard bar. I will have to get an adjustable upper before I can adjust pinion angle.

BMR tech told me to get adjustable uca and mount and use lower hole in mount if not lowered. I am at 600 whp but also on street tires. The uca and mount made a big difference on the street. It really changed the way it launches at the track, but without the uca & mount the car would unload in the rear when it hit the bump stops. Mine isn't an auto, but maybe yours is doing something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread