Tranny no.2 gone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

c. love

Established Member
I bought mine with a brand new trans installed. Story was it was bought back by ford because of said tranny issue. From the tech notes it was displaying the same issue as the OP stated. I know in my old nissan the trannies were crap in them at anything about 400 wheel--after 6 years I never had an issue. I attributed that to the fluid--Redline MT 90.

Ive owned my car for a less than a week and I had a close friend of mine tell me change the fluid out for a Redline fluid and it will instantly get better and also change the shifter out. However, I cant remember what weight/type of redline oil or what kind of shifter to get. <ha need to text/call the guy

My trans started feeling "notchy" so I was going to change the fluid out at next oil change. I love redline products problem is I dont know if the warranty on the new trans is going to be void.

Anyway short story will a better gear oil be a cure-all? one way to find out :burnout:

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
It's actually caused by a weakness in the trans. Their are plates that snap under load because the walls are made of a thin aluminum. When it snaps, the gears will not align properly thus not going into gear. I forget the name of the shop out west who found this out and has a fix but cost money. I believe Shaun is friends with him.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It's actually caused by a weakness in the trans. Their are plates that snap under load because the walls are made of a thin aluminum. When it snaps, the gears will not align properly thus not going into gear. I forget the name of the shop out west who found this out and has a fix but cost money. I believe Shaun is friends with him.

Isnt it adam at pops racing?

-Thomas

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mine makes noise, but it goes into gear. The only issue I really have is I have to go slow the first time I put it into 5th when it is cold. If you go to quickly, you get a quick grind.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Mine makes noise, but it goes into gear. The only issue I really have is I have to go slow the first time I put it into 5th when it is cold. If you go to quickly, you get a quick grind.
this happened on my 2011 and 2013 now, its so annoying

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I hear that man. My auto is trouble free, however its boring as all get out.

I loves my auto. I wish Ford would build a streetable Cobra Jet with a beefed up 6R80. Be what the Boss is to the road course. Ford are you listening?

Napoleon85

Established Member

this happened on my 2011 and 2013 now, its so annoying

Mine used to do this, but it's gotten worse over time and now I'm getting lockouts and the like. I'll be taking it into Ford this spring for service, not planning on them doing much but I have to try. Like the OP, I just flat out don't have $4300+ for a T56 Mag XL conversion, and I don't have the tools/space/lift to do a trans swap.

I for the life of me can't figure out why some of these are so bad at stock/near-stock power levels, and others are problem free with bonkers amounts of rwhp.

GrnBullitt08

Established Member
Broke my first MT-82 @ 933 miles.... On my second MT-82 with around 3,500 miles and its still running good. (Installed Steeda Bracket on the new one)

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I'm at 22k miles and drive the hell out of my car with the stock shifter, I haven't had any issues at all. I didn't know MT82 issues were this common.

5pnt0

Established Member
13k with no issues yet, knock on wood, except for grind into 2nd when cold.

wnt2gofst

Banned
And this is why I got rid my manual. Lost first tranny at 2000 miles, second one started going out around 5000.

from the famous tapatalk.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
So here's the update, called the dealer to check the status and the service writer told me they took everything apart and fourth was infact gone but ford wanted to send a rep so he can take a look at it! So they're waiting on him now!! Now I'm worried cause the rep might look at the mods and say no warranty! But I wonder they just warrantied it last week same mods so idk. Ill wait and see what they say!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So here's the update, called the dealer to check the status and the service writer told me they took everything apart and fourth was infact gone but ford wanted to send a rep so he can take a look at it! So they're waiting on him now!! Now I'm worried cause the rep might look at the mods and say no warranty! But I wonder they just warrantied it last week same mods so idk. Ill wait and see what they say!

Good luck I think you may end up with an issue now.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Wow, that sucks. I have 17k miles on mine and don't have any issues (not even a bracket installed). I have to say that I bang the gears daily and never had an issue.

probably because you know how to drive stick. i have not had an issue yet. i put a steeda short throw in.

BPatterson

Established Member
My first one went at 7500 miles, but man did it shift good! On my second one, and have done every MT82 mod imaginable, and it still shifts like shit. It has around 20k miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread