Tranny no.2 gone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Hey guys, so about 3 weeks ago did a little second get pull at about 40 mph and half way threw the gear tranny popped and I blew up third ger. I didn't even throw third and third blew!! Took the car to the dealer on Tuesday last week and picked it up Thursday with a brand new tranny. I babied it all weekend breaking it in, and I did notice a really loud rear end noise after the new tranny went in almost like howling. Monday comes around and for the first time I get on it with the new tranny in third And at around 7k rpm tranny blows up again this time 4th and I didn't throw it either. Idk what the hell is going on but I'm getting frustrated already. And I don't have $4300 for a t56 just laying around. Car is only making around 460rwhp so there gotta be something else causing it to go!!! Any ideas???

87hatchy

Established Member
Man that's pretty strange. Maybe its just a really crazy coincidence and some super bad luck. If it was covered under warranty, eff it, take it back again! I know it sucks to be without your car but as long as its covered with a warranty, take advantage of it!

Now if it happens a 3rd time, screw that trade it in lol

Mutt69

Street Racer
Established Member
My first MT-82 went south at about 10k, now at 15k the second one is starting to do odd stuff.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Thats really strange. Ive got 8800 miles on my 2013 and so far so good. If the tranny in mine goes then Auto conversion???

Deespeed99

Established Member
Stock shifter or not? Mine went at 2500, had it replaced put a barton in it and havent had a problem since. Even the dealership determined the shifter to be a weak point.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hmmm that's wired. Something must not be setup right.

CPRsm

No wheel hop or spinning? Have seen popped parts from spinning and when you let go the tires hook. BOOM

bmitchell373

Established Member
I'm at 24k miles, stock shifter. Ive been pretty hard on it and no issues. Mine was produced may of 2011. don't know where everyone else falls into place.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Wow, that sucks. I have 17k miles on mine and don't have any issues (not even a bracket installed). I have to say that I bang the gears daily and never had an issue.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I spin but not in third!!! Plus I went from 50 mph which is about 3k rpm to about 7k and mid gear it popped makes no sense! I don't know. I had the car with 14k miles and I wasn't easy on it no problem. Went E85 and three days later BOOM!! I have lower control arms so I don't really get wheel hop anymore. Everything was covered under warranty so I should be getting another new tranny. If anyone wants a brand new mt82 as soon as I get the car back I'm selling it with McLeod rst(has about 4k miles) and steeda bracket for $3k. If anyone is interested tranny is gonna have about 20 miles on it when I get home.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ya, that's weird for sure during a run and no spinning for the gear to just let go. Sorry to hear. I also have a ton of passes on my trans stock shifter and bracket and 7600 miles no issues

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I spin but not in third!!! Plus I went from 50 mph which is about 3k rpm to about 7k and mid gear it popped makes no sense! I don't know. I had the car with 14k miles and I wasn't easy on it no problem. Went E85 and three days later BOOM!! I have lower control arms so I don't really get wheel hop anymore. Everything was covered under warranty so I should be getting another new tranny. If anyone wants a brand new mt82 as soon as I get the car back I'm selling it with McLeod rst(has about 4k miles) and steeda bracket for $3k. If anyone is interested tranny is gonna have about 20 miles on it when I get home.

It just seems to be a hit an miss on the 11-12 MT82 tranny. Some have zero issues an others have all kinds of issues.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Im shocked your getting warranty work with a modded car. Whats your secret?! Hopefully third ones a charm :/

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
Thats crazy. I'm at 20k on my 2012 and it feels as smooth as day one...actually better with my Barton bracket

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I need to start setting some bucks aside just in case. I'm sure a dealership would take one look at the new motor mounts and send me packin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread