Tune/tuner combos

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
If you have a bone stock car, with no mods and we tune it
and the next guy has a bone stock car with no mods on it, and we tune it, both will have the same custom tune.
If you have a bone stock car with a jlt and we tune it, and the next guy has a bone stock car and we tune it, both will have the same custom tune.
If we have a great custom calibration we have developed for a particular combo, why would someone get something different?
now, where the difference will come into play would be a special request, for example, you want your car to shift sooner, later, etc. something along those lines.

now, help me understand this. I could care less about the current tuner wars, I went with who I went with after the MM&FF article. I cut that page out, put it on my cubicle wall and when I bought my mustang and saved enough for the CAI, cat delete, suspension and tune I did it all at one time. I bought my LCA relo brackets from Terry, and my tune from AED... so I have no alegencies at all.

How does a tune on our motors factor in gas quality? That is what I thought the basic premise of a data log was for. It was to help determine how far to take the tune based on what your local gas was. If it's as simple as you say why did ford do such a crappy job on the initial tune? I figured it was just to make sure there was no POP goes the motor.... which if the wide band was good enough to detect knock with any tune how were tuners in the early days popping motors? I am no tuner, the datalog I did blew my mind... so much info coming my way I am sure with practice I would see something in the graphs but it was overload for me... LOL

I get it, there is a lot at stake as we all talk about if datalog is necessary.. . . I have been a salesman my entire life and when I sell a product I sell the hell out of it! I have no horse in this race though... I would like to believe data logging isn't necessary; it's a pain in the butt for sure. I just want a straight answer so it's easy to understand for me as I do revisions moving forward, and for others trying to make the call. Logically, I see the merit. EVEN on a simple bolt on car. But I want to hear it from the adversarial side to the argument, explaining how different all of our gas is across the country and our altitude.... humidity... etc.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If the car see's knock with bad gas it will pull timing from the base timing that is set to save the motor. IMO I think even you don't have to datalog the tune it is still good to do so to check fuel quality and see if the gas you are using is really bad.

Zemedici

Established Member
So then what your saying is everyone is getting the same caned lund tune lol.

you're missing the point of what he's saying.

Yes it is in essence a 'canned' tune. However, its not. They want to know what mods you have, therefore its custom to your vehicle. As he stated, the cars can adjust timing/fuel etc by themselves. They're not like cobras, where 2 cars are pullied, one needs a BAP and one does not. 5.0s arent like that. They take down your specific mods, and use tunes they've PROVEN work on other vehicles with the exact same mods. So unless you're doing some off-the-wall 'never been done before' (lets get real, they've all been done) then it'll work extremely well.

5.0jake

Established Member
If the car see's knock with bad gas it will pull timing from the base timing that is set to save the motor. IMO I think even you don't have to datalog the tune it is still good to do so to check fuel quality and see if the gas you are using is really bad.

AED Shaun told me whenever knock/timing pulled (if fuel related not false) is seen during data-logging that engine damage may be occurring. Truth?

Also how bad is it when I see 1.0 Lambse and 1.0 measured AFR during WOT?
I have seen that from time to time on every tune I've had (big name tuners), even stock. When it happens it usually occurs for a second and then goes down to .82-.84.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
now, help me understand this. I could care less about the current tuner wars, I went with who I went with after the MM&FF article. I cut that page out, put it on my cubicle wall and when I bought my mustang and saved enough for the CAI, cat delete, suspension and tune I did it all at one time. I bought my LCA relo brackets from Terry, and my tune from AED... so I have no alegencies at all.

How does a tune on our motors factor in gas quality? That is what I thought the basic premise of a data log was for. It was to help determine how far to take the tune based on what your local gas was. If it's as simple as you say why did ford do such a crappy job on the initial tune? I figured it was just to make sure there was no POP goes the motor.... which if the wide band was good enough to detect knock with any tune how were tuners in the early days popping motors? I am no tuner, the datalog I did blew my mind... so much info coming my way I am sure with practice I would see something in the graphs but it was overload for me... LOL

I get it, there is a lot at stake as we all talk about if datalog is necessary.. . . I have been a salesman my entire life and when I sell a product I sell the hell out of it! I have no horse in this race though... I would like to believe data logging isn't necessary; it's a pain in the butt for sure. I just want a straight answer so it's easy to understand for me as I do revisions moving forward, and for others trying to make the call. Logically, I see the merit. EVEN on a simple bolt on car. But I want to hear it from the adversarial side to the argument, explaining how different all of our gas is across the country and our altitude.... humidity... etc.

The difference is, if you're beefcake it's fine let the car retard and advance timing all on it's own, no reason to dial it in. If you're tuners who are adamant about logs they can advise you of poor gas quality, and tune specifically for a higher octane that is known good fuel and adjust the specific spark settings in Advantage III to accommodate. Then dial in VCT Calibrations further as well. It comes down to do you want to min/max? Or don't you want to half ass your setup. quality vs. quantity.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
AED Shaun told me whenever knock/timing pulled (if fuel related not false) is seen during data-logging that engine damage may be occurring. Truth?

Also how bad is it when I see 1.0 Lambse and 1.0 measured AFR during WOT?
I have seen that from time to time on every tune I've had (big name tuners), even stock. When it happens it usually occurs for a second and then goes down to .82-.84.

This is technically true, these cars and only advance/retard so far. What good is a 12" net if 8" of it is a hole ? Logging and dialing in, makes a 12" net a 12" net.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

Classic Amazon sales rep contracting the owner. They sure have their stuff together LOL. No, seriously Thomas (Blazer) is right, if you aren't datalogging you aren't doing it right period. We've seen plenty of blown motors due to people not logging, lets also no forget where 90% of these big name "canned" folks bought their R&D'd tunes from. Duh duh duhhhhh!

redline5.0

Established Member
Op pick your own tuner don't let anyone push you pick one or the other. If you got a local tuner go that way if not decide for your self, do a little research and move on.

clc44

Established Member
Op pick your own tuner don't let anyone push you pick one or the other. If you got a local tuner go that way if not decide for your self, do a little research and move on.

Crazy how a little thread gets people so defensive.
don't do that man, you aren't going to go wrong with Lund, or AED

Those are most likely one that I'll go with. I have a local tuner but for my mods don't want to spend 450 on a dyno tune. A lot of people are doing good things with email tunes for barely any money. If I was doing a cj intake with full bolt on I'd fork out the money. I just want to have a little extra, nothing crazy and def not trying to be the fastest.

Users who are viewing this thread