Turbo mustang owners, come in.

thepostageman

Established Member
Ya, just take the oil supply line off the turbo slowly and see if there is a nitrous jet in there. Mine were AN fittings so I had no choice but to put something there, otherwise it would leak. I don't know how the older kits had their oil supply run. Take a pic and post up.

Will do when the car cools down, been driving all day.

Last edited:

thepostageman

Established Member
These 62mm turbos that come with the kit are not ball bearing correct? If so, I was told it didn't need restrictors. I'm assuming they checked this out as well. They are thinking it may be a turbo now.

CPRsm

Hard to say. The drain(poorly run, bad angle or too small) and crank case ventilation can cause oil to push past seals as well

thepostageman

Established Member
Well I ended up driving over to another shop, never heard back from the original one in awhile, and they checked everything out. Only thing wrong they found was a slightly humped hose that they thought may have cause it. Now it's a matter of checking the turbos, except it's gonna be pricey to do so?

CPRsm

A Hump can cause it. Problem is any residual oil can still be burning even if they fixed the drain. But it should noticeably better if it was fixed

thepostageman

Established Member
I was told it was fixed, weird thing is it never smoked when it was there, minute I get home it starts again pretty bad this time. I'm confused.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I have to use a oil restricter in my journal bearing PT6262 turbo on my supra because of all the smoke. The restricter is not as small as the one you would use on a BB turbo. I wish I could remember the size of it. Nolimitmotorsports where I bought the turbo recommended the oil restricter.

thepostageman

Established Member
I have to use a oil restricter in my journal bearing PT6262 turbo on my supra because of all the smoke. The restricter is not as small as the one you would use on a BB turbo. I wish I could remember the size of it. Nolimitmotorsports where I bought the turbo recommended the oil restricter.

Alright, well if they are not in then I all have them check it. Im taking it back up soon to see if it is a turbo.
Also thinking about getting new valve springs and a billet oil pump gear. This seems like a smart idea since I plan on using the stock block. Any input?
If anyone has done this, what have been install quotes for doing this?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Interesting differences of opinion in this thread.

Dustin, would you say there's no such thing as "too much oil" for a journal bearing turbo?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
You're right, you should not put restrictors in a journal bearing turbo.

Would this not be dependent on where you are tapping in for oil? As far as I am aware it is possible for too much pressure to push the bearing down and or push oil past the seals.

I've always gone by give it as much as you can drain out, without it backing up and blowing past the seals, lol my last supra used a -12an return.

Last edited:

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
99.9% of precision turbos need oil restrictor. I run the 60 thou restrictors and have not had any smoking prob yet, this is on a PTE6266 JB turbo. If your running a garrett or borgwarner turbo they almost never need restrictors these are my observations from hundreds of turbo over the years.

CPRsm

Interesting differences of opinion in this thread.

Dustin, would you say there's no such thing as "too much oil" for a journal bearing turbo?
I wouldn't say too much isn't possible. The "seal" in a turbo isn't like a valve stem seal.

SSM I'm sure the farther down the oiling system you to the less oil you're going to see. But most tap into the oil pressure sending unit, which is always ready close to the pump.

I'd call the turbo manufacturer before adding restrictors blindly. Think you'll be hard pressed they'll recomend them. Another scenario is a turbo that is bad, then it's over restricted trying to stop smoke until it fails from oil starvation and no warranty.

That's odd Jim. Smoking from a PTE turbo is the only problem I never had lol. Didn't run restrictors in my GT500 or anything else we ever put them on.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Do you guys place any faith in flowing a turbo? I'm a turbo noob so I just went with what I was told from Hellion. They wanted 10-15oz of oil per turbo, over 30 seconds (at idle). With the .030s in, I see 12oz per side at idle and 0 smoke under any condition (idle, cold start, etc)

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
The ID of the oil supply line and whether or not its single or twin turbo could also have an effect on the necessity of a restrictor, no?

CPRsm

If the turbo company knows what its turbo needs and you can verify that should be fine. But like I said too much oil is much less of a chance than a poor drain, silicone hanging into the flange at the drain, bad seal, crankcase ventilation,etc. That's not to say a restrictor can't fix a poor drain, just not right.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
I wouldn't say too much isn't possible. The "seal" in a turbo isn't like a valve stem seal.

SSM I'm sure the farther down the oiling system you to the less oil you're going to see. But most tap into the oil pressure sending unit, which is always ready close to the pump.

I'd call the turbo manufacturer before adding restrictors blindly. Think you'll be hard pressed they'll recomend them. Another scenario is a turbo that is bad, then it's over restricted trying to stop smoke until it fails from oil starvation and no warranty.

That's odd Jim. Smoking from a PTE turbo is the only problem I never had lol. Didn't run restrictors in my GT500 or anything else we ever put them on.

It seems the only problems I come across are smoking turbos in FL, most are from too much oil pressure. but there are some that have drain back issues also.

Do you guys place any faith in flowing a turbo? I'm a turbo noob so I just went with what I was told from Hellion. They wanted 10-15oz of oil per turbo, over 30 seconds (at idle). With the .030s in, I see 12oz per side at idle and 0 smoke under any condition (idle, cold start, etc)

I don't have faith, Also the hellion kit uses 3/8 npt fittings on the oil pan which have a 1/2 ID on them meaning it is a restriction. the smallest the line should be is 5/8. I didn't know this until about 3 weeks ago when i read there instructions, wish i would of sooner so i could of told you to go 1/2in

The ID of the oil supply line and whether or not its single or twin turbo could also have an effect on the necessity of a restrictor, no?

Yes feed line ID makes a difference. I normally like to use -3 line for t3 size turbos, -4 for t4 and up. your larger 80mm and up usually require -6.

If the turbo company knows what its turbo needs and you can verify that should be fine. But like I said too much oil is much less of a chance than a poor drain, silicone hanging into the flange at the drain, bad seal, crankcase ventilation,etc. That's not to say a restrictor can't fix a poor drain, just not right.

Agreed, I would only suggest a oil restrictor after you know that your feed and return lines are the right size and are free flowing.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Great info Jim, thanks for sharing. I wanna say the return line was -12 AN each but I'm not 100% sure on that. I have the bigger bulkhead fittings I can add to the oil pan at some point--maybe during the next phase. (if it ever happens)

Nuar

Established Member
way off topic on the oil suply, but all you hellion guys...
I saw two twin hellion cars in person and both of them had the piping way too close to the coil covers on the driver side. To a point where the covers were melted a little. Is this common, or can that be adjusted a little bit. (neither of the 2 cars had exhaust wrap though)

Users who are viewing this thread