Vortech Mach 1...BPV,BOV,MAF questions

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
You want to make sure it is large enough to release the air the SC is making. Unlike turbo's, centri blowers are blowing air the whole time they are spinning, obviously. I would try to choose one of the BOV's I mentioned if it were my car. You don't really want to run a weaker spring than a 3psi spring. Remember that the blower will create more boost the faster it turns and you won't always be wide open throttle at higher RPM's. I have noticed that half throttle acceleration is not the best thing to do with our type of setups. The reason is because the blower will start building boost and half throttle is enough to shut the BOV. Since the motor is not pulling in all that air that's being pushed, I can hear the blower's impeller start to shutter a little, which is what you don't want. So basically, I like to keep it real easy or push it hard. I personally would go with the Procharger unit or the Tial unit w/ the 3psi spring. But there alot of guys running the Vortech Mondo's making alot more power than I am with no issues at all so basically it's personal preference.

Also, the spring used in the BOV is usually determined by the amount of vacuum the car naturally has, not boost. I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. It was quite awhile ago. I think the way it works is the vacuum is what actually pulls the BOV open and when you get to a certain amount of throttle, the car goes to zero vacuum which shuts the BOV.

BTW JP, that noise you are hearing is not compressor surge it is valve flutter, it happens because we need such a light bov spring. You have nothing to worry about this is normal at part throttle. Compressor surge happens when your bov fails to open or the spring is too heavy, common on turbo cars. With a 3 psi spring this is virtually impossible unless your valve is sticking closed mechanically some how.

Last edited:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Be fore warned the Tial is loud. If you can find the quiet one get that thing. I hardly drive my mustang but I get annoyed by the constant loud noise of discharging air being bounced off other cars.

Same with my vortech BV57, which i why im going to switch to a BRRV and run it recirculated.

MACB

VORTECH V3 INTERCOOLED
Established Member
I'm running the SCT BA5000 as mentioned above...Its a Great Choice! I'm also switching to the Tial Q 50mm BOV in January. It's definitely the best option in my opinion.

I would also suggest the Treadstone TRV25-o if you haven't already made a decision on your intercooler. It has an amazing reputation for very minimal boost drop. Which is why I'm switching to it in January too. I'm currently dropping rediculous amounts of boost with the piece of s*** CX racing IC.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I'm running the SCT BA5000 as mentioned above...Its a Great Choice! I'm also switching to the Tial Q 50mm BOV in January. It's definitely the best option in my opinion.

I would also suggest the Treadstone TRV25-o if you haven't already made a decision on your intercooler. It has an amazing reputation for very minimal boost drop. Which is why I'm switching to it in January too. I'm currently dropping rediculous amounts of boost with the piece of s*** CX racing IC.

Look into the tr1235, also has the same rep and is cheaper.

MACB

VORTECH V3 INTERCOOLED
Established Member
A member on my other forum Modded Mustangs is running my exact same setup with the trv25-o & has less than 1psi drop. Another guy is running 20pai and experiencing only 1 or 1.5 psi drop. I called Treadstone and the only IC they recommended me was the trv25o. Im gonna stick with it, cuz I feel more comfortable with their suggestion and the other 2 guys results....I learned my lesson in cutting corners to save money when I ordered from cx racing.

Stanger00

Established Member
I get a little flutter with the Tial but it's not bad enough to cause compressor surge. It happens at 5 psi or at 16 psi just a couple flutter noises at first and then jet engine noises to annoy you. At first I thought it was hilarious to have an obnoxious car but now not so much.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
i was looking into the treadstone 1235 or even the shorter 1035. I only plan to make ~450 rwhp so i was thinking the 1035 might suit me fine and i wouldnt have to do near as much cutting/trimming to fit in with the factory crash bar/bumper support (whatever its called).

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ Take the stock bumper support out and put a lite chromoly one in place, much better flow for the Radiator etc.. when you have that big intercooler in front!

svtcobra394.jpg

photo0017lo.jpg

MACB

VORTECH V3 INTERCOOLED
Established Member
^ Take the stock bumper support out and put a lite chromoly one in place, much better flow for the Radiator etc.. when you have that big intercooler in front

Where did you get the chromoly one from? I like that. Weight reduction without having to abandon the bumper support.

JP_Stang

Established Member
BTW JP, that noise you are hearing is not compressor surge it is valve flutter, it happens because we need such a light bov spring. You have nothing to worry about this is normal at part throttle. Compressor surge happens when your bov fails to open or the spring is too heavy, common on turbo cars. With a 3 psi spring this is virtually impossible unless your valve is sticking closed mechanically some how.

This is really good news to me! Thanks for clarifying that for me man!

JP_Stang

Established Member
There is no doubt that the open BOV's are loud! I can see how it could get annoying after awhile. It sounds cool at first, but it loses its cool pretty quickly. I don't drive my car very often so it doesn't really get old to me, but if I had to drive the car daily it would drive me insane.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
it would be kind of dumb to recirculate when using a blow through system to get rid of noise though right? I dont want a extremely loud BOV but i would like to be able to hear it a little. Can one of the cheap BPV's that vortech supplies to use as drawthrough be used as a BOV with the recirculating part disconnected on a blow through? Once again i will only be running 8~10 psi.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
There is no doubt that the open BOV's are loud! I can see how it could get annoying after awhile. It sounds cool at first, but it loses its cool pretty quickly. I don't drive my car very often so it doesn't really get old to me, but if I had to drive the car daily it would drive me insane.

i only drove my car 2 times with the bv57 BOV before i was tired of it. My car didnt even get 500 miles put on it with this setup.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
it would be kind of dumb to recirculate when using a blow through system to get rid of noise though right? I dont want a extremely loud BOV but i would like to be able to hear it a little. Can one of the cheap BPV's that vortech supplies to use as drawthrough be used as a BOV with the recirculating part disconnected on a blow through? Once again i will only be running 8~10 psi.

Why would it be dumb, or i guess what does blow through have to do with anything? It's a personal preferance type deal i guess.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Yeah, Vador is right. It is strictly a personal preference. Neither way is the right or wrong to do it. I guess in theory it could be a little quieter with a different BOV, but either way I think it is going to be pretty loud. Personally, I think it is kinda cool so i like it like that on my car. I was just saying that I don't think I could handle it on a daily basis, but I don't hate it either.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Yeah, Vador is right. It is strictly a personal preference. Neither way is the right or wrong to do it. I guess in theory it could be a little quieter with a different BOV, but either way I think it is going to be pretty loud. Personally, I think it is kinda cool so i like it like that on my car. I was just saying that I don't think I could handle it on a daily basis, but I don't hate it either.

You will still hear it at shifts, but, you won't really hear the constant air blowing at idle. Just blower whistle mainly.

Users who are viewing this thread