Went to 4 Ford dealers in Maryland in last 4 days = interesting story

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
1bad04cobra said:
lol,your a funny guy.Imo the car ain't worth 1 penny over msrp.Right now there in high demand but if they make it for at least 3 years as planned your 07 won't be worth sh#t come 08-09 and you will have lost money.I'd like to have the car,but i guess i'm not as desperate as you.Also don't assume people don't have the money because i'm sure many people like myself could easily swing it with the markup,but again the car is not worth it imo.The car is awesome but i for one will not give in and will wait till 09 if need be.

About 5000 people think your wrong. (thats the number of 07's currently sold at last check) The majority of which paid some fraction over MSRP.

IMHO, the car should be sold at MSRP, POSSIBLY with a bit of a markup if there is a long list. Otherwise, no, you will be able to buy this car at msrp, you should buy it at under MSRP soon. Order bank i believe is almost open for 08s. My name is in for one. Probably be waiting a year for it, but what do i care.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
69b302 said:
I thought it was a well known fact the Ford/SVT has a two year contract on the GT500 with the thrid year optional. Production is expect to be 8k-10k car per year. The third year is considered very unlikely if the Mustang get a makeover in 09. Where did you ever hear 4-5 years?

I interesting market research. I think the prices will continue to drop, but those holding out for MSRP will be GT500-less. There will always be enough people willing to pay a few K over.
I hope they do stop making it for 09!Get the name "Shelby" off of it and call it a cobra again,But i think they will continue to make them.I know you guys that paid alot are praying that msrp doesn't happen,but imo it will ,especially with compitition from the camaro and challenger.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
KMCBOSS said:
I have to chuckle when reading some of these posts! We live in a free market society folks! Since when is it OK you to rip a car dealer off by paying under MSRP but it is not OK for the dealer to rip you off by charging more than MSRP? If you had a house worth 200K market value and someone demanded that you sell it to them for 150K would you do it? Get real guys - get a life - either make the committment and pony up the money or move on.
This sets a new low for posts here.
Congrats on being totally clueless!:beer:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
About 5000 people think your wrong. (thats the number of 07's currently sold at last check) The majority of which paid some fraction over MSRP.

IMHO, the car should be sold at MSRP, POSSIBLY with a bit of a markup if there is a long list. Otherwise, no, you will be able to buy this car at msrp, you should buy it at under MSRP soon. Order bank i believe is almost open for 08s. My name is in for one. Probably be waiting a year for it, but what do i care.

Fair enough.
But when you have large dealers purchasing GT500's from other dealers at a marked up price, preventing ligitimate customers from buying the cars, and then marking them up even further to make another proft off of them..

Dont you think thats undermining the system just a little? :rollseyes The whole point of allocating the cars to all the dealers this time, rather than just the SVT dealers, was to try and prevent this type of thing.

The greedy dealers are killing this car. At least so far..

69b302

Established Member
1bad04cobra said:
I hope they do stop making it for 09!Get the name "Shelby" off of it and call it a cobra again,But i think they will continue to make them.I know you guys that paid alot are praying that msrp doesn't happen,but imo it will ,especially with compitition from the camaro and challenger.

MSRP at 45k for a typical coupe plus whatever/if any ADM is alot no matter how you cut it. Why do you think this car will sell for a lot less then Salleen mustangs or other Special Edition Mustangs in the 400 to 500 HP range? Most people who bought the GT500, myself included, did not buy it for resale value, so the current and future value of the car is irrevelant to me. Again, most people who REALLY want a GT500 would never settle for a vette, camaro, or challenger. Many still have brand loyalty. Please wait patiently for your price.

Last edited:

Davidnz

Established Member
good stuff:pop: ...all of you that are waiting on MSRP or x-plan think that you could walk in to dealer in the next 4 years and pick you choice of gt-500 and walk out? is that the plan??:-D just making sure...

and No i DIDN'T pay over msrp for my gt-500(helps when you work for a ford owned company) so i don't have a pony in this race..

1bad04cobra

Established Member
69b302 said:
MSRP at 45k for a typical coupe plus whatever/if any ADM is alot no matter how you cut it. Why do you think this car will sell for a lot less then Salleen mustangs or other Special Edition Mustangs in the 400 to 500 HP range? Most people who bought the GT500, myself included, did not buy it for resale value, so the current and future value of the car is irrevelant to me. Again, most people who REALLY want a GT500 would never settle for a vette, camaro, or challenger. Many still have brand loyalty. Please wait patiently for your price.
The saleen has always been a rip imo,not a good comparison.Every regular production car that is new has had a markup,mustang GT included.As said earlier it's just more severe with the shelby with all the hype.Your right brand loyalty will be there but there is also people who just want the newest thing out or a fast ass car.Many ,even on this board have bought elswhere whether it be a corvette or whatever because of the markup,they just don't think it's worth it.With the compitition from the other companies they will have the next new big thing,and i'm sure just as much hype.That will draw people to them& bring down the rediculess sp? prices

chuckstang

Established Member
I am very eager to see what happens to prices when 08s start arriving at dealers!
Um ya, can you say price drop on all remaining 07s!

Well said.There will be no shelby GT500,in 2009,unless Ford renogicates a contract with Mr. Carol Shelby,from my understaning. And yes you can buy it for MSRP,if you do your home-work and find the dealer willing too sell it for MSRP,as i did. This same dealer is selling all there 2007-Shelby GTs,for MSRP. They have one for sure and has others comming in,call them. Heres there name-Robinson Brothers,in Baton-Rouge ,Louisiana,ask for Andy,or Mr. Gainer/sales mgr.,1-888-293-8111--1-225-293-8900-if looking for a shelby gt-call them.I'm sure they will sell you a shelby gt,for MSRP.

Last edited:

svtstang34

Established Member
BANDIT HPT said:
Give it some time. The prices will come down and we'll all be laughing about how much people payed over before too long.

Thats If the 08 is even built??? I can't get a straight answer from the local stealerships around here!!

chuckstang

Established Member
08's are without a doubt a go.
Do you realize how little business sense it would make for them to take all the r&d to make the GT500 to only sell it for one year? If they did that, it would be another Ford GT which is not what Ford needs right now! And please dont tell me that the GT500 is Fords Halo car lol, no shit.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
If I were Apple Ford I would have told you to hop on down to the local Chevy dealer and buy that "better" car.

Middle aged woman? Stalled four times? Hum? And you were going to light her ass up. Wow. Kicked any puppies lately. She probably didn't even give you a whiff of notice. I wouldn't have other than laugh at your GTO. To tell ya the truth, a GTO looks like a Honda with dual fart pipes to me. A 300 HP GT is about all a GTO will light up these days.

Are they are making GTO's today? The local Pontiac dealer had 04's on his lot up into early 06. There was a reason, nobody wanted them, well, I guess you excluded. How do they say it, well, "the GTO has a nice interior". My satin silver 03 was the rarest of 03 Cobras.

:lol:

great post :thumbsup: :beer:

BTW I just lit up a gto with my Terminator this past weekend. :burnout: :-D

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

Established Member
Purvis said:

So YOU have all the answers? Just keep in mind, that the Ford dealers are in business to make money - not give cars away. I suspect that since most Ford models are not selling at MSRP, then they have to make money somehow. They only make 50 Shelby GT500s per day, 5 days per week, and this car is capable of generating money for the dealers. I suspect the dealers will take full advantage of the situation for as long as they can. It doesn't make business sense to do otherwise. Put yourself in the dealers position - would you sell them for MSRP if you could get more?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Purvis said:

I don't get the jist of your message here Purvis?:shrug:

Plenty of people have sold $250K homes in a sellers market for $295k.

By the same token, plenty of people bought $250K homes for $195K in a buyers market.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't like the ADM's these cars are bringing and I don't approve of them either. But it is econ 101 at it's most basic principals.:read:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
KMCBOSS said:
So YOU have all the answers? Just keep in mind, that the Ford dealers are in business to make money - not give cars away. I suspect that since most Ford models are not selling at MSRP, then they have to make money somehow. They only make 50 Shelby GT500s per day, 5 days per week, and this car is capable of generating money for the dealers. I suspect the dealers will take full advantage of the situation for as long as they can. It doesn't make business sense to do otherwise. Put yourself in the dealers position - would you sell them for MSRP if you could get more?
I don't fault the dealers for selling for whatever they can. My point is that they are doing do by holding out for the one sucker that is willing to pay it. If all the dealers do this, they will eventually get overstocked (nationwide, not at each dealer). When that happens, the price will drop. If you follow ebay, the ones that are selling are going for 10-15 over. However, not very many of the cars sell at that price (let's say 10% for giggles). If Ford is making 250/week, then 225 are not being sold each week (yes, I realize that many are already sold orders independent of ebay). Eventually, the market will catch up.

mousetom78

Established Member
asperformance said:
You guys missed the ADM train, I have a G.T 500 Bought it last Sept, and I also have a Shelby G.T, well the wife does, and I can tell you, if your GTO is stock it won't stand a chance aginst the Shelby G.T. It hauls ass. I know it only has a few mods, But if you ask me it is the car to Buy, I actually think i prefer it to my 500, But don't tell the wife, She paid Close to sticker for hers. And where can I get a 07 Z06 For 60K I will take 2, A friend of mine paid 90K for his 07 Z06. I think you are on the wrong site.

I do not see Shelby GT runs 12's stock. It maybe a driver race between stock LS2 GTO vs Shelby GT due to mods on Shelby GT. Your statement GTO (6.0 400 HP) wouldn't stand a change on a Shelby GT (325Hp version) would be a a very bold statement. A few LS2 GTO's have run high 12's bone stock. Most falls into low 13's @ 108's range. Simple small Cam/headers swap on LS2 can be 420-440 rwhp. Head/Cam swap can be 500 rwhp on a 3700 lbs car. I dont see many N/A 4.6 motor pulling more than 400 rwhp. Of course, they do make a supercharger, nitrous and turbo kit for both 4.6 and LS1/2 motor so dont even go there. To due all the respect, I like GT500 because of the 5.4 motor S/C with forge bottom end and it is already factory supercharged. I know what it is capable of running low 12's stock. 10's with basic mod pulley/chip/exhaust/tires and running reliable 300 miles/week all day long. My GTO is not my beater and I have another car. It is nice to know that I can drive a car in summer time to work 5 days if I wanted to. Afterall cars are meant to driven. I save my toy car for summer. While it is hard to built a 10 seconds GTO and run reliable (mean daily drivable 300/week) all day long with head/cam/spray or force induction. I can build a mid-high 11's GTO with cam + all bolton spray with a small shot. For you ford guys to rip on GM cars like that it is uncalled for when you dont know much. I respect all well built factory car and I am not brand loyal. GM is capable of building a fast factory car. Any LSx car especially newer LS2/LS7 can be modded a lot easier than LS1 because of more CI. A lot of people have trouble driving GTO due to IRS.

I know Krebeck Corvette store at Atlantic City is selling z06 @ MSRP now @ around high 60's-low 70's depended of options

C6 LS2 is going for only 40k a piece. I saw one in carmax with 2000 miles for only 38k couple days ago. A LS2 C6 is a driver race with GT500 according to many sources. They are going a lot cheaper. Of course corvette has a pimp factor.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
OK this is getting a little out of hand. guys. I liked the GTO. I wanted one for my wife but two door and kids dont mix. I respect any fast car. but am brand loyal also so I give the gm guys, and others a rough time in good humor. with that being said... I beat a few gtos both 5.7 and 6.0 in my lightning when it was stock(close races though) and really tore them up with a few mods. You can buy a NEW c6 vette for 40-42K right now. which me being a ford guy I would have a tough time buying a shelby when there is a vette for the same price that would beat it stock to stock.

Now reqeusting x-plan... I get that through work. Dealers dont loss money on selling a car/truck on A-or X or any other plan. They fill out some paper work submit it to ford and are reimbursed by ford. Some dealers just dont want to go through the hassle of doing it, and waiting for the check. yes they probably loss a couple hundred bucks but not thousands. OK and if I was a dealer and wanted to make a quick 10-15K yes I would sell the it at ADM there are a lot of people out there that have more money then brains. but you will eventually run out of them and the prices will drop. Now has if I was in buisness for the long term. I would sell my shelby for sticker and that person would tell their friends about a dealer that actually wasnt money grubbers. and they may come in to buy one also, or another car. I would rather have a customer for life and make 10-15k over a few car and get the word spread around about fairness and atract more buisness for the long run. I was in line for a few different shelbys. ONE in particular rubbed me the wrong way. I was given a verbal commitment that my shelby would be ordered to my specs for MSRP. I went in with the downpayment and was going to have my bank confirm with the dealer that I was already approved for the financing for the rest. just for when I arrived they said the owner did some research and had another offer by another dealer for the car for 10K over. So they were going to keep it and sell for 20K over but I could get it for 10 over(I had 5K in hand, and was going to give them another 5k upon delevery.) if I was willing to. IF they would have just stuck to there agreement(verbal or not) I was going to buy it, a loaded limited freestyle for my wife, and my older brother was willing to give them aanother 5k downpayment for his shelby for when they would be able to order another one. They could have sold three cars and made the same amount of money. but now they will never get any of my, my familys, or friends buisness. And tell everyone of their doings.

Bob POynter Ford in seymour IN. is the place that broke up the deal.

If everyone would have refused to buy the cars for adm the adm wouldnt be. I'm glad for you that you are doing so well that you could loose an extra 10K or more and not care and feel good about it. I would love for the shelbys to be done in 08. then in 09 give us the same car but write cobra on the back and spare the hype just because of 6 letters. the car is worth 40K to me more with options, so thats what I will pay. just like the old cars are worth X-amount to someone else. I may buy a shelby or just keep my 03 and get a boss, it depends on how well I like the car after I drive one.

KMCBOSS

Established Member
mousetom78 said:
I do not see Shelby GT runs 12's stock. It maybe a driver race between stock LS2 GTO vs Shelby GT due to mods on Shelby GT. Your statement GTO (6.0 400 HP) wouldn't stand a change on a Shelby GT (325Hp version) would be a a very bold statement. A few LS2 GTO's have run high 12's bone stock. Most falls into low 13's @ 108's range. Simple small Cam/headers swap on LS2 can be 420-440 rwhp. Head/Cam swap can be 500 rwhp on a 3700 lbs car. I dont see many N/A 4.6 motor pulling more than 400 rwhp. Of course, they do make a supercharger, nitrous and turbo kit for both 4.6 and LS1/2 motor so dont even go there. To due all the respect, I like GT500 because of the 5.4 motor S/C with forge bottom end and it is already factory supercharged. I know what it is capable of running low 12's stock. 10's with basic mod pulley/chip/exhaust/tires and running reliable 300 miles/week all day long. My GTO is not my beater and I have another car. It is nice to know that I can drive a car in summer time to work 5 days if I wanted to. Afterall cars are meant to driven. I save my toy car for summer. While it is hard to built a 10 seconds GTO and run reliable (mean daily drivable 300/week) all day long with head/cam/spray or force induction. I can build a mid-high 11's GTO with cam + all bolton spray with a small shot. For you ford guys to rip on GM cars like that it is uncalled for when you dont know much. I respect all well built factory car and I am not brand loyal. GM is capable of building a fast factory car. Any LSx car especially newer LS2/LS7 can be modded a lot easier than LS1 because of more CI. A lot of people have trouble driving GTO due to IRS.

I know Krebeck Corvette store at Atlantic City is selling z06 @ MSRP now @ around high 60's-low 70's depended of options

C6 LS2 is going for only 40k a piece. I saw one in carmax with 2000 miles for only 38k couple days ago. A LS2 C6 is a driver race with GT500 according to many sources. They are going a lot cheaper. Of course corvette has a pimp factor.

I was never in the market for a GTO but I can tell you there are many Ford guys like myself, who grew up in the musclecar era (mid 60's early 70's) that really wanted to see the GTO do well. GM had to ruin the car by copying a Japanese design and try pass it off as a successor to the GTO lineage. If the GM designers would have taken a page from history like the Mustang designers did, I think it would have been a hit. I know several diehard GTO guys that wouldn't touch to latest GTO with a 10 ft pole. IMHO GM should give the GTO another try with a retro look. I can only hope that GM, Ford and Chrysler will get a clue and stop trying to make their cars look Japenese!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
KMCBOSS said:
I was never in the market for a GTO but I can tell you there are many Ford guys like myself, who grew up in the musclecar era (mid 60's early 70's) that really wanted to see the GTO do well. GM had to ruin the car by copying a Japanese design and try pass it off as a successor to the GTO lineage. If the GM designers would have taken a page from history like the Mustang designers did, I think it would have been a hit. I know several diehard GTO guys that wouldn't touch to latest GTO with a 10 ft pole. IMHO GM should give the GTO another try with a retro look. !

I completely agree with you regarding the GTO.

KMCBOSS said:
I can only hope that GM, Ford and Chrysler will get a clue and stop trying to make their cars look Japanese!

Which cars look Japanese to you? Maybe if the big 3 could build something of comparible QUALITY to the Japanese, they would sell more!!:idea: I have never owned any Ford other than my 3 Cobra's, and most likely never will until they can build a better car......

Users who are viewing this thread