What are the best 2 gauges for terminator?

What gauge besides boost

• Air/fuel

Votes: 215 47.7%
  • fuel pressure

Votes: 170 37.7%
  • oil pressure

Votes: 66 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpjr

Established Member
so is the thinking that if you saw your fuel pressure gauge go down that you would know the car is therefore running lean and you could kill the motor?

if that is the case, i thought that the ECM did that? or is it just not reliable?

coleman

Established Member
do the boost gauge overlay, then get fuel pressure and wbO2 gauges.
then get a canton oil pan to prevent any possible oil starvation issues.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Why spend extra $$ on boost gauge when you already have one!! lol Just get a overlay, geez. Buti it is kinda cool to have one. I'll probably get A/F and Fuel Pressure.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Boost, Fuel pressure, and A/F are a must.

If you only get two, I'd say get the Boost and A/F. The fuel pressure is nice to know when you're trying to keep things safe, but I don't think it's nearly as important as the other two.

I'm going to have Boost, A/F, EGT, and fuel pressure on my turbo setup.

On a side note, who makes a steering column pod with room for two gauges?

Last edited:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
All of the major manufactureres that make A/F gauges bundle them with a wideband sensor.

Aside from that, you're right..the readings on the stock narrowbands are no good for anything other than stoich.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
Why is boost a "must"? To me, it is little more than a number.

If you don't know how much boost you're running, how can you know what your fuel pressure should be?

If you don't know how much boost you're running, your A/F ratio is little more than a number.

Honestly, if you don't know how much boost you're running to start with don't even bother worrying about what your fuel pressure is.

A/F might be a little more helpful, yes, but you still need a good handle on all 3 variables for maxiumum effectiveness.

A boost gauge alone, is just that, a number. A boost gauge with a fuel gauge is twice as helpful.

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
wideband a/f, and fuel pressure.. boost is just for show in my opinion. always nice to know how much psi you're currently running at WOT

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
jdk said:
All of the major manufactureres that make A/F gauges bundle them with a wideband sensor.

Aside from that, you're right..the readings on the stock narrowbands are no good for anything other than stoich.

I thought he meant something like an autometer a/f gauge. Both AEM and FJO and maybe some others make gauge-style wideband displays now. I personally don't like the aem because the richest it will read is 11.0:1.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
I thought he meant something like an autometer a/f gauge. Both AEM and FJO and maybe some others make gauge-style wideband displays now. I personally don't like the aem because the richest it will read is 11.0:1.

Yeah the autometer A/F gauge is garbage. It dosent give a real readout anyway. Just "lean" or "rich".

FWIW, the widebandcommander shows all the way down to 10.0:1. Anything that will read between 11 and 12 is fine by me :pepper: That is probably the unit I'm going to get, but I'm not totally decided yet.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
jdk said:
If you don't know how much boost you're running, how can you know what your fuel pressure should be?
Are you going to make changes to your fuel pressure running down the road at different boost levels? I want my fuel pressure to stay static. I do not need a boost guage to do this.

If you don't know how much boost you're running, your A/F ratio is little more than a number.
Disagree. Boost won't change without a pulley change (or perhaps induction). A/F can be and should be tuned (ie...changed). You have to know this "number" (the A/F) in order to adjust it up or down to whatever one considers safe or desireable.

Honestly, if you don't know how much boost you're running to start with don't even bother worrying about what your fuel pressure is.
Honestly, we just tuned my KB yesterday - without a boost guage - and the fuel pressure and A/F (measured with SCT software and a wideband) were adjusted and tuned to meet the demands of the engine.

I still don't know what my exact boost is, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care. It is just a number (much like RWHP is nice to know, but otherwise a rather meaningless number).

A/F might be a little more helpful, yes, but you still need a good handle on all 3 variables for maxiumum effectiveness.
You need a basic idea of what boost your running in order to get a basic idea of what kind of power you'll be making so that you can get a basic idea of what your fuel needs will be. I can do this with some simple math (or a table with pulley sizes). Beyond that, it is just a nice-to-know number that is otherwise virtually meaningless.

A boost gauge alone, is just that, a number. A boost gauge with a fuel gauge is twice as helpful.
To do what? Do you go down the road at part boost and record fuel pressure? If you're loosing fuel pressure - you have a problem.

One of these days, I'll probably get a boost guage, out of curiousity more than anything else. But it comes after a real water temp guage, a real oil pressure guage, an air/fuel guage, and a fuel pressure guage (in that order).

Your order may be different. :)
Bob

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Obviously you're not going to make fuel pressure changes on the run. The entire point of the gauges, imo, is a safety precaution. If you know what level of boost you're running, then you know what your fuel pressure should be. If you're not at the fuel pressure you should be at for any given amount of boost, you shouldn't be WOT, it's that simple. You can't just say "I have x pulley, so I'm making x boost". Not with an eaton at least..The eaton makes considerably varying boost levels between 3000 rpm and 6500 rpm.

Granted if someone had access to everything you personally have access to, a boost gauge is a nicety but not neccesary. Too me it's still important.

That is all for now.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I wish that someone would come out with a sensor package like the C5/C6 Vette has, telling in a digital readout, your oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, batt voltage, tranny temp(for auto) etc etc etc.. then you can have it read off all the OBD II codes. We have as much computing power in our car as the C5, just no way of reading them out without buying a high dollar programmer or computer program for a laptop..

Bob Cosby

Established Member
A boost guage is nice to have - it is far from necessary, and has no real value in keeping something "safe".

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
fuel pressure and oil pressure is by far the most important gauges you can invest in then get a water temp. guage imo all others are for the bling effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread