What are the best 2 gauges for terminator?

What gauge besides boost

• Air/fuel

Votes: 215 47.7%
  • fuel pressure

Votes: 170 37.7%
  • oil pressure

Votes: 66 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Joe D said:
WOW!!!!! That's really cool, but I'm afraid to check and see how expensive it is!

I haven't checked yet either, but have heard they are pretty spendy. There's that whole "pay to play" thing at work again. I think they are on jegs or the other big online sites.

I'm definitely doing these in an 05, so I'll share my experience when it gets finished up.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
with a Heaton on your car I would def say a pyrometer... i dunno why nobody has said it yet. Especially with the weak ass teflon coated pistons and the knocking caused from running EGT's to high...

other than that, i would put a boost guage or water temp, or fuel pressure...

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Damn, we are getting into aircraft shit. That would be cool though have a Caution Panel in your car. I'll have to go test my car to figure out operating limitations. That would be one hell of an owners manuel. Like a NATOPS for you Naval Aviator types or a dash-1 for you Air Force Types. EGT gauge that would be sweet. Driving my car would be like flying my aircraft, maybe I could use it to keep up my currency when I don't get much flying time when all of our aircraft are broke (often). Helicopters have audible torque horns that will sound when you pull too much power. It would also be cool to have something like that in your car. Then again so would having one of the T-58-GE-16 engines with 1870 shaft horsepower.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
The thing about gauges..especially in a turbo or supercharged car makes in excess of 2HP per cubic inch...it's alot like an high performance aircraft...If something degrades...it likely does it in a hurry at the worst possible moment..Your scan is out side..not on the gauges..So there is a "master caution' light that gets their attention that can be placed a little closer to where they might be looking,along with a 'bitching betty"..Autometer makes pencil lights for this purpose..IE low oil pressure...overheat condition. etc..the lights get your attention back on the gauges & your foot out of the throttle...If you really scienced it out..you could rig up a low fuel pressure warning light...it would require the use of a logic device that took into account TPS/RPM data in order prevent false alarms.. Oh & one more reason for a boost gauge..but this applies to turbo cars..detection of boost creep..When your boost controller fails & the car suddenly gets a bunch faster....right before "ping ping ping...BOOM"..

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Just a comment about the A/F meter: if it's not a wideband unit, you just wasted your money; the narrow-band units are useless.
You can put 4 gauges on the A-pillar: I did. I have Fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp (sender between 7&8) and boost. My LM-1 wideband unit does not have a 2" gauge face.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Can someone advise which A-pillar to get? Speed of sound only makes the 2 pillar pod. What do you recommend? I would like 3-4.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Can someone advise which A-pillar to get? Speed of sound only makes the 2 pillar pod. What do you recommend? I would like 3-4.

Triple pods are easy to find, available most anywhere. 4 pod pillars also exist, maybe from Lotek? Try www.gaugepods.com

If you have the newer style a-pillar, you might need to get a 94-02 coupe pillar to make one of these fit. Since the triples/quads are meant to be pillar covers, they are recommended for mounting to the oem pillar with screws.

Too bad the SOS pillar doesn't work for your requirements, it's sweet! ;-)

Alan

93Snake

summit has the nexus line listed... about 250.00 bucks a gauge

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
THose Gauges are sick..........and I'm buying five of them here we go!

Fuel Pressure
Oil Pressure
EGT
Water Temp
Boost - just for giggles

With pods it looks like it is going to be close to 1500 bucks.......but damn they have remote playback with stepper motors in the damn gauges......they must be accurate like crazy.

drohan8592

Established Member
wouldn't you think an air fuel gauge is better than a fuel pressure gauge. you will know if something is wrong with the fuel system if your air fuel meter goes lean. having a fuel pressure gauge is a good idea but it seems you would get more out of a quality air fuel gauge simply for the fact that you can monitor your air fuel ratio and you can't with a fuel pressure gauge.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Unless you get the wideband O2 sensors the A/F ratio is meaningless on a narrowband unit. Fuel pressure is a better gauge to have.

BigshotJG

Established Member
where can you get an overlay for the stock boost gauge. i have only heard of these but never seen one. what are the ranges that they cover. thanks? what is the problem with the autometer A/F gauge? is this wideband? and what is better about a wideband A/F gauge? thanks

joe

RiChie

mOdifi3d!
Established Member
I have the new Autometer C2 gauges, nice bright blue light at night. :rockon:

I say get Boost and Fuel Pressure. Don't waste your money on the A/F gauge unless you just like flashing lights. If you're looking for a real A/F gauge I suggest the AEM unit with a wideband. It will give you real and very accurate readings. Unfortunately, it will run you about $600+

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
One of these days, I'll be getting three. They will be oil pressure, water temp, and Boost/Vacuum. If I could only get two, it would be oil pressure and water temp.

Hmmm I posted first and read later....

Looks like someone else is very familiar with keeping engines alive :rockon:

Jimmy :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread