What does it take for me to win in the Cobra? :(

St_Evo

Established Member
So to make a long story short... The last 2 cars I've owned were Evo's, I had a '04 Evo RS and a '06 Evo IX. Both of the cars ran great and it seemed like I would win most of my races against other cars. Well, after having a motor issue with the Evo 9 I decided it was time to upgrade to a '03 Cobra. I get the Cobra bolted up with the typical mods with 2.76 upper and lost every race..Lol. I lost to my good friends Evo 8, Turbo'd Integra, RSX Type S w/ nitrous, and last but not least my buddies SRT-4.

Here are a few races with the other cars. I don't have a video with the SRT-4but he pulled me by a car and a half.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKCmvreKTk"]YouTube- 2003 Cobra vs RSX-S w/ nitrous.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybp5MgHJmTM"]YouTube- Evo with FP Red vs 03 Cobra with bolt ons vs Built Turbo Integra GSR[/ame]

The good news is that I have recently installed a Ported blower and I am running a 2.93/4# combo. Here is my dyno video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHcS7be08w"]YouTube- 2003 Cobra Steig Stage V Ported Blower Dyno[/ame]

The Bad new is that the Evo now has upgraded to the new FP Black turbo w/ E-85 and the SRT-4 now has a built motor and a 50 trim w/ E-85. I know the Integra won't be a problem now along with the RSX but I need a little help with the EVO and the SRT. What is it gonna take? Lol. The Evo owner thinks there is no way I could hook well enough from a 40 roll to be able to pull him back. I know with the power I am running now that there is no way of beating him but I am considering running a shot. How much would it take?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
dude you're running some pretty built cars.. I say a Whipple and D/R's.. Race them from a dig..

St_Evo

Established Member
dude you're running some pretty built cars.. I say a Whipple and D/R's.. Race them from a dig..

I had the Nitto 555r's on it but I recently upgraded to the Nitto NT05R in a 315. They have been getting really good reviews so I am sure they will belp but I need more powa!

St_Evo

Established Member
Slap a small shot of Nitrous on it and you'll be fine.

I was thinking the NX kit but would I have to upgrade my fuel system for a wet kit? The only fuel mods that I have are 60lb injectors and a BAP. Also, what size shot should I run that would be the safest and still make good power?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I run a 100 Dry Shot on mine with no worries at all. You could run that or if it blew your tires off (which it probably will) go with a 50 or 75 easily. Your car with that pulley combo and nitrous would most likely run 10.50's in the 1/4 if it hooked just for reference lol.

St_Evo

Established Member
I run a 100 Dry Shot on mine with no worries at all. You could run that or if it blew your tires off (which it probably will) go with a 50 or 75 easily. Your car with that pulley combo and nitrous would most likely run 10.50's in the 1/4 if it hooked just for reference lol.

Why did you choose to go with a dry shot over a wet? Also, isn't there a way for me to prevent from blowing my tires off? Lol, like a window switch or something?

I appreciate your guys' help. Coming from a 4 banger I have to hold up the rep of the V-8 and it's hard when you lose to all of your closest friends. Lol.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Honestly I have more friends that run dry shots so knowing I can call them if I have troubles is the reason I chose it. As far as getting the car to hook remove your front swaybar and that'll help a little bit but it'll understeer pretty bad.

St_Evo

Established Member
Here is a video with the old setup on the Evo running a Whipple Cobra.
Skip to .53 seconds for the Cobra's mod list and 2.38 for the race.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M55qkBVgQE"]YouTube- Williamson Meet 2009[/ame]

ITL Cobra

Established Member
2.3 Whipple 18 lbs of boost some DR's should put you into into the 610 rwhp.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
I have a Stage IV Ported Eaton with 2.90/4lb combo on 305/35/18 Nitto DRs and I'm hooking with no problem from a 20 roll. You'll definitely hook from 40, so he's crazy if he think you won't. Only time I have trouble hooking is when it's cold out, but if the street is warm (70 and above) I'm hooking with no problem with the 555Rs. Don't know how well your new Nittos will hook compared to the DRs. I would do a 40 roll and try him from a dig too. If he has too much power he'll spin even with AWD. I only ride my clutch 1/4 of 1st gear and I'm hooking after that, so my foot goes to the floor.

I guess Dave Guy's your tuner? Talk to him and he should be able to tell you what you need as far as Nitrous if you can't beat them with your Stage V combo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would have skipped the port and bought a Whipple or KB SC.

Definitely! MOST definitely! With the evolving competition the OP has I would definitely go for a big jump in performance. Nitrous with a ported blower (and maybe around 17-18 lbs. of boost) would be a nice combo. But I've never been a big fan of nitrous.

St_Evo

Established Member
I'm hooking with no problem with the 555Rs. Don't know how well your new Nittos will hook compared to the DRs. I would do a 40 roll and try him from a dig too. If he has too much power he'll spin even with AWD.

The new Nitto's are DR's. Here is a pic for reference.

NT05R.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread