What gears are suggested

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I thought you decided to keep your 4.56. Are you again thinking about or wanting a taller gear?

shurur

Established Member
3.73 N/A just isnt enough gear for the 96-01 cobras. 410+. 96-98 need 430-456.
Never said it was...in fact I said I got that gear was for procharger that I had in mind.

I said 4.10 seemed about right for NA

Not sure why you think 4.30 is needed for the sn95.
Is the B head that much more doggy than the c head at the lower rpms?

Also OP wants a 1st gear that is not useless.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Never said it was...in fact I said I got that gear was for procharger that I had in mind.

I said 4.10 seemed about right for NA

Not sure why you think 4.30 is needed for the sn95.
Is the B head that much more doggy than the c head at the lower rpms?

Also OP wants a 1st gear that is not useless.

The B head design were completely different. Had primary and secondary ports. That the secondary ports would not start to open till 3500rpm.

The C heads were a huge improvement and gain about 20hp and 20tq over the B heads. Also got better tq curve across the whole band.

As stated above from some others a taller tire will effectively reduce the gear. Making 1st gear useful for the OP needs. Must of never drove a fox body with 373/410s. 1st gear would be the same. But its all dependent on drivers ability.

BigScott96

Established Member
I thought you decided to keep your 4.56. Are you again thinking about or wanting a taller gear?
I was going to. But it’s just so much gear to drive in LA. I’ve had Fox body’s with 410-411 and they didn’t seem this bad. It’s literally feeling like the car is maxing out all the time. I’m a experienced driver and had many 10 second cars that were street able ( about 8-9 of them ) None of them felt like this. As for the taller tire I’m running 18” wheels with 40 series tires. I don’t want a taller tire. Don’t like that look on these cars.

I appreciate all the advice. I’ll probably drop the gear eventually. If I keep the car I’m going FI. All the advice and tips from everyone has really helped. The car is fun to drive with the 456. But it feels like I’m pushing the cars limits just driving around the block! Lol!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Like A Boss Flirting GIF

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
You have to be careful with running a bigger tire in the rear because if you get the size off too much from the front you will kick off the ABS. I am having that issue now and need to figure out the tire size based on what is available for an 18 inch tire. So you would need to see what's available based on what rim size you have, stock 17s vs. something larger. I just had 4.30s installed (what a damn expensive nightmare due to a bent tube).

I am guessing you have a Speedcal in the car so if you change gears you will need to change the dip switches to account for the change in gear.

Mark99GT

Established Member
What brand 4.30s are you guys running, since FRPP are not available? I can't decide between Motive Performance Plus and Nitro.

Mark99GT

Established Member
What size wheels and tires are all of you 4.30 guys running? Not to hijack the thread; but I think it's relevant when recommending gears.

I'm on stock wheels tire size right now, but hopefully not for long. I don't think 4.10 will be enough, and 4.56 may be a little too much.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
What size wheels and tires are all of you 4.30 guys running? Not to hijack the thread; but I think it's relevant when recommending gears.

I'm on stock wheels tire size right now, but hopefully not for long. I don't think 4.10 will be enough, and 4.56 may be a little too much.
Many, many years ago when it was NA and had 4.30's, the car ran on 305/35-17 drag radials.

Mark99GT

Established Member
Also USA GEAR and Richmond

Too many choices...
Right, for 4.30s I saw:

Motive (apparently 3 different models)
Nitro
US Gear
USA Standard
Richmond
Yukon
Alloy USA
Sierra Gear & Axle
Elite Gear

There are probably more, but those are the ones I looked at. Any experience or recommendations? I'm guessing Motive would be the go-to?

Users who are viewing this thread