What is the easiest way to QUIET my exhaust some?

Tygr1

Established Member
I have an off road x (don't know whose) and a Magnaflow cat back system. It's just too loud for my old ears. So tell me kids, what IS the easiest way to quiet it down some?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
H pipe with cats will be the quietest, but either an X with cats or an offroad H will be better. Off road X is the loudest style of midpipe. Regular Magnaflow is one the quieter cat-backs, so it's probably the offroad X that's making it too loud for you.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
A catted mid pipe will quiet it down some but if your looking for more, the stock mid pipe is probably your best bet.

Fr500handbuilt

Established Member
I will have a stock mid pipe for sale as soon as I become unlazy and put my prochamber on lol. I can barely hear my car with a mac catback on it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
H pipe with cats will be the quietest, but either an X with cats or an offroad H will be better. Off road X is the loudest style of midpipe. Regular Magnaflow is one the quieter cat-backs, so it's probably the offroad X that's making it too loud for you.

THIS!

It's almost a daily occurrence when someone hangs an off-road mid pipe thinking it will add all kinds of juice at the rear wheels before they realize the downsides are not worth the 10-15 hp added to a 600+ hp car. Adding quieter mufflers will be just as restrictive as a pair of cats. Better to have clean air that won't smell like rotten eggs and be legal plus the tree huggers will be disappointed to learn your socially irresponsible Mustang actually passes emissions.

Get a 2 1/2" catted H like what MRT makes which fits in the stock location. The 4 cat 2 1/4" OEM mid-pipe has nasty kinks and are not mandrel bent. Plus the H pipe maintains that nasty pissed-off Mustang exhaust note that Camaro and BMW owners dread! I never cared much for the sound of an X pipe but that just me.

Maggie cat backs are very low restriction straight thru muffles that are fairly quite during cruise but produce a nice growl when you step on it and will have the women gathering the children while sending cats scurrying up the trees at WOT :mj: I had this old fart pull up next to me in an overstuffed benz and actually comment how much he liked the sound of my Cobra :rockon:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was in the exact position you are once. I had a Magnaflow catback and for me it was too loud. Plus it produced an annoying drone around 2,200 rpms. Had it literally for a week. Sold it and bought a Steeda catback (with cats) on advice from a fellow SVTP member. Perfect....for me. Idle was a tad quieter, but absolutely no drone or raspiness. WOT was just right; not as loud as the Magnaflow. If you can afford to go with a new catback, seriously consider the Steeda catback. I do not advise going with an 'offroad' cat-delete option as it will increase the noise level. Trust me on this. Also, be aware that an H-pipe has a different sound than an X-pipe. I always thought of H-pipes (ie. MRT) as having the traditional Mustang Muscle sound. Whereas an X-pipe has more of a raspy Nascar-like sound. But every X-pipe is different, with varying levels of raspiness, with Steeda being the least raspy. Ford Racing used to sell a nice catback that was in-between the stock noise level and the Steeda; quietest by far. But it is no longer available.

SVTXTC

Established Member
I think the Flowmaster American Thunder is one of the most underrated available exhausts, because everyone is always looking for big power and not mellow sound. It was one of the first available catback aftermarket exhaust systems available for our car back in the day. It has a nice sound that is mild and pleasant to the "too loud" crowd. This combined with a catted or off-road H pipe special from Summit or a paid vendor makes for a good combo that won't upset the neighbors. I have one for sale in the market coming off my 14k mile Cobra as I'm going the loud route. Let me know I will give you a great deal on it shipped to Texas.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have flowmasters..

has nice sound and only load when you get on it..

I have both off road and a catted x pipe..didnt notice much in loudness but felt a huge difference in just throttle responce..off road was better

I also kept all old parts for if ever I need to change..

my exhaust is 13yrs old..

I wouldn't worry on buying used parts to save cash on this item..

as long as nothing has been welded our exhaust system is so easy to remove

awful knawful

Established Member
THIS!

It's almost a daily occurrence when someone hangs an off-road mid pipe thinking it will add all kinds of juice at the rear wheels before they realize the downsides are not worth the 10-15 hp added to a 600+ hp car. Adding quieter mufflers will be just as restrictive as a pair of cats. Better to have clean air that won't smell like rotten eggs and be legal plus the tree huggers will be disappointed to learn your socially irresponsible Mustang actually passes emissions.

Get a 2 1/2" catted H like what MRT makes which fits in the stock location. The 4 cat 2 1/4" OEM mid-pipe has nasty kinks and are not mandrel bent. Plus the H pipe maintains that nasty pissed-off Mustang exhaust note that Camaro and BMW owners dread! I never cared much for the sound of an X pipe but that just me.

Maggie cat backs are very low restriction straight thru muffles that are fairly quite during cruise but produce a nice growl when you step on it and will have the women gathering the children while sending cats scurrying up the trees at WOT :mj: I had this old fart pull up next to me in an overstuffed benz and actually comment how much he liked the sound of my Cobra :rockon:
yep. i put an O/R pipe on my Fox with BBKs and a Magnaflow CB. 200kms, way too loud, back to stock h with cats. Much better!

SlowSVT

Established Member
I was in the exact position you are once. I had a Magnaflow catback and for me it was too loud. Plus it produced an annoying drone around 2,200 rpms. Had it literally for a week. Sold it and bought a Steeda catback (with cats) on advice from a fellow SVTP member. Perfect....for me. Idle was a tad quieter, but absolutely no drone or raspiness. WOT was just right; not as loud as the Magnaflow. If you can afford to go with a new catback, seriously consider the Steeda catback. I do not advise going with an 'offroad' cat-delete option as it will increase the noise level. Trust me on this. Also, be aware that an H-pipe has a different sound than an X-pipe. I always thought of H-pipes (ie. MRT) as having the traditional Mustang Muscle sound. Whereas an X-pipe has more of a raspy Nascar-like sound. But every X-pipe is different, with varying levels of raspiness, with Steeda being the least raspy. Ford Racing used to sell a nice catback that was in-between the stock noise level and the Steeda; quietest by far. But it is no longer available.

Bob

Steeda sold catted "cat backs"? That doesn't sound right. (no pun intended)

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I would look at the mid pipe, I have a Magnaflow catback and Bassani catted x pipe and my car is pretty quiet during normal driving with no drown. It does get load if you get on it though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
615THgRzfZL._SL1305_.jpg

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Steeda sold catted "cat backs"? That doesn't sound right. (no pun intended)

The Steeda cat-back is essentially the same as the Borla "Touring" kit, and cost a bunch less.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-cobra-mustang-cat-back-exhaust-040-13908/

http://www.borla.com/products/mustang_cobra_catback_exhaust_touring_part__14858.html

It's one of the nicest sounding kits out there, with the exception of the FRPP FR-500:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/exhaust.htm#Ford_Racing_FR-500_cat-back_

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We would also recommend going back to stock midpipe. This is most likely what is causing the exhaust to be too loud, since our exhaust are typically always more on the quiet side.

Users who are viewing this thread