What is this opening? (GT500 block) see pic

que4dog

Established Member
Why is this opening on the gt500 block? It sits behind the oil cooler but the cooler runs pass it and does not bolt to it? What is the purpose?

x3s8c3.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Isn't that where coolant feeds the "adapter assembly" for the oil cooler, etc, etc?

coolant_5_4_1.jpg

que4dog

Established Member
Thanks. I did not see the initial reply. I found that it is a water passage for other applications but not the GT500.

CPRsm

Yeah, I come back to look at it and it's a little hard to find. Wanted to make it easier for myself.

Nice post Tob. Helped out a ton.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This opening feeds the lower radiator hose and oil filter adapter on all Modulars (except the GT 500) with coolant.

The GT500 does not use this passage but it must be blocked with the freeze plug behind the water pump or water will poor out!

The GT500 lower radiator hose is part of the water pump/timing cover provision on the GT500 models, similar to a older Pushrod Ford.

MMR

MMR%202010%20launch%202.jpg

65fastback2+2

Established Member
hate to bump an old thread....so would the opening that is pictured be used on all non-GT500's?

Im asking because Im putting a gt500 shortblock in my lightning and want to make sure Ive got the water passage thing figured out. I know I remove the plug behind the water pump for lightning use, but Im not sure what I do with the opening pictured in the OP

MRL Performance

Established Member
For your lightning, the oil filter adapter gasket will go around this opening and direct coolant through to the lower rad hose. Just order the gasket applicable to your truck and you will be fine.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
For your lightning, the oil filter adapter gasket will go around this opening and direct coolant through to the lower rad hose. Just order the gasket applicable to your truck and you will be fine.

sweet, i should be good to go, just gotta knock out the center plug in the front and put the water pump nozzle in there and go

que4dog

Established Member
sweet, i should be good to go, just gotta knock out the center plug in the front and put the water pump nozzle in there and go

Yeah, you should be good to go. I ordered my short block for the GT500 but it did not have the plug & nothing noted that I needed it and caused me a big headache and time

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The engine when used in a lighning cannot be used with GT500 oil cooler which mounts to this location, the problem is the oil cooler is also the alternator bracket. the only way a GT500 engine will work in a Lightning is if you purchase the MMR GT500 alternator bracket kit (made for this specific reason) , once you have installed this everything else will work but it still requires the GT500 water pump/outlet location.

Please give us a call and we can explain a little bit more about this and the product we have to fix it.

We will try to post some pics shortly!

MMR
805 383 4130

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread