What to do with my Terminator

SVT Pille

Established Member
Guys I have no idea whats gotten into me but I'm thinking about selling my car. It's a Mystichrome 'vert with 35k. After owning the car for 7/8 months I'm thinking about selling. Reason behind this is not that I'm not satisfied with it, but I want something I can seriously modify for a road course/strip and not worry about if the 'vert is holding me back. I'm also paranoid about the paint and lack of leather for the seats if anything happened to them. The other thing is that I'm being stationed overseas in March for a year and a half and the car will be just sitting in a garage, although it would be paid off when I come home.

For the past few months I've been looking at A LOT of '95 Cobra R's, it seems like they sell for around what my car is worth now. My last car was a head/cam '94 Cobra and looking back on it I really miss that car a lot. If I kept it, I probably would have turned it into the car I want now but that's not really an option. The regular Cobra would be a lot more cost effective since I want to go all out and most of the R specific parts would be getting upgraded, possibly even the engine to a 408 or 427w if I ever have the money.

So pretty much the options I'm giving myself is:
1. Keep my Terminator and decide what to do with it when I get home in 2014
2. Sell it now and start looking for a '95 R
3. Sell it, and buy a 94/95 Cobra and build the hell out of it

Last edited:

SVT Pille

Established Member
I've tried to convince myself to but I keep coming back to this idea.

oldmodman

Established Member
Keep the Mystichrome Comvertible Cobra.

But an older Fox to build into a race car. And don't spent 10K on a paint job:burnout:

cobracide

Established Member
Road course and strip are two entirely different things. Good ladder subframes on a vert can help you keep the Terminator.

As far as a road course, a N/A hardtop 2011+ S-197 would be better. A Boss would be killer.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Road course and strip are two entirely different things. Good ladder subframes on a vert can help you keep the Terminator.

As far as a road course, a N/A hardtop 2011+ S-197 would be better. A Boss would be killer.

I know that I just like the sn95's a lot for some reason, If I sell the termi I don't want to spend more than 20 grand on a car which rules the boss out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Find a mystichrome coupe and see if theyll trade.

I wouldnt sell it for a 95 or even a 95 R. Stiffen up the vert properly and itll do what youre asking of it and actually look good doing it.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Step 1 - Sell your Terminator

Step 2 - Save all you can for the next year while you're overseas

Step 3 - ???????

Step 4 - Buy a 2013 GT500

Step 5 - PROFIT

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

Step 3 - ???????

Step 5 - PROFIT

That's actually something I am looking at doing.......we're supposed to do something next year, when we get closer I'll announce it, i'm on list to go though.....:rockon:

Jroc

Established Member
A Boss would be killer.

This.

Quit dicking around with Fairmonts, and step up to a much better engineered, better balanced, and much stiffer chassis car. I had quite a bit of suspension work done to my Terminator and I still prefer the way my stock L handles overall compared to my old Mustangs.

I remember a few years back reading something on a Mustang handling forum. The question at the start of the thread was, "how do I make my streetcar Fairmont handle as good a Z06?" The answer was you don't. The old Fairmonts aren't very good at pulling double duty as a competitive track car, and a good street machine.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Step 3 - ???????

Step 5 - PROFIT

Excellent recommendation! OR a Boss! I understand his concern about the Mystichrome upkeep/repair down the road (expense of paint and the seat material). And not wanting to store it all that time. If it were me and I was going to be overseas for 18 months I would rather sell the car, and use the sale proceeds, the savings on cancelled insurance, and other money I could put aside during that 18 month tour of duty to hopefully make for a nice down payment. Sacrificing over that 18 months by not spending more money than you really have to just could get you into that nice '13/'14 GT-500 or Boss. JMO.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Excellent recommendation! OR a Boss! I understand his concern about the Mystichrome upkeep/repair down the road (expense of paint and the seat material). And not wanting to store it all that time. If it were me and I was going to be overseas for 18 months I would rather sell the car, and use the sale proceeds, the savings on cancelled insurance, and other money I could put aside during that 18 month tour of duty to hopefully make for a nice down payment. Sacrificing over that 18 months by not spending more money than you really have to just could get you into that nice '13/'14 GT-500 or Boss. JMO.

Bob that's what I am starting to think now, save save save plus extra hazard, sea, and other allowances I might be entitled to depending where I go and then come home with something sweet.

With all this talk of Boss 302's you guys have me thinking about '00 R's. I know they might not be as fast and are a little dated but the SN-95 chassis is what I grew up on and I am partial to it over the S-197's. The prices on them seem to be coming down with the Laguna Seca cars coming out, and I think selling a Terminator for an '00 R would be a no brainer.

RSbeast

Established Member
Sell the terminator; buy c5z06

I've owned a road race prepped sn95 vert and I do favor it completly over my s197. I will say while you CAN make the sn95 do stupid things handling wise with enough money; the chassis really just isn't there. Even with full length subframes, extreme chassis matrix and a cage. They get really heavy to boot.

Until you go to an sla setup, a watts or irs out back, stiffen the shit out of the car and get raceweight down to 3100ish it won't be as competitive as even a stock c5z with good tires

The s197 is a FAR better chassis but I hate the size and the lack of power. They still feel awful back to back with a stock z.

$.02 worth of actual experience. Just depends on your budget/goals. It will be cheaper to buy a high mile z than build an sn95 hands down tho.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Sell the terminator; buy c5z06

I've owned a road race prepped sn95 vert and I do favor it completly over my s197. I will say while you CAN make the sn95 do stupid things handling wise with enough money; the chassis really just isn't there. Even with full length subframes, extreme chassis matrix and a cage. They get really heavy to boot.

Until you go to an sla setup, a watts or irs out back, stiffen the shit out of the car and get raceweight down to 3100ish it won't be as competitive as even a stock c5z with good tires

The s197 is a FAR better chassis but I hate the size and the lack of power. They still feel awful back to back with a stock z.

$.02 worth of actual experience. Just depends on your budget/goals. It will be cheaper to buy a high mile z than build an sn95 hands down tho.

Thought about it but I can't sell out and buy a 'Vette. I am a Ford guy and I would miss my Mustangs too much. I've prettymuch made my mind up that I'm selling the Terminator after Mustang Week, and I have 2 years to decide what my next buy will be. Just had to make this thread for a sanity check.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I want something I can seriously modify for a road course/strip and not worry about if the 'vert is holding me back.

The regular Cobra would be a lot more cost effective since I want to go all out and most of the R specific parts would be getting upgraded, possibly even the engine to a 408 or 427w if I ever have the money.

So pretty much the options I'm giving myself is:
1. Keep my Terminator and decide what to do with it when I get home in 2014
2. Sell it now and start looking for a '95 R
3. Sell it, and buy a 94/95 Cobra and build the hell out of it

Which activity are you more focused on Open Track/HPDE? or Drag strip?

How many open track events have you done so far?

04silvervenom

Established Member
I'm looking to exchange my silver vert for a mystichrome and fear I will be too anal with it. Is it that difficult to repaint it and find seats for it if needed?

SVT Pille

Established Member
Which activity are you more focused on Open Track/HPDE? or Drag strip?

How many open track events have you done so far?

Jimmy this might sound retarded so spare me, but none. Don't ask why because I don't know but ever since I started getting serious with my '94 I always wanted a stripped out race car, like something you would see in a magazine. I had a feeling this would happen when I bought my car but I just went ahead with it because I wasn't finding anything else. The R to me seems like the best compromise between a hardcore track car and something you can drive on the road somewhat comfortably.

I'm looking to exchange my silver vert for a mystichrome and fear I will be too anal with it. Is it that difficult to repaint it and find seats for it if needed?

You paint it like any other car, don't listen to anyone who says you have to repaint the whole thing even if only 1 panel gets damaged, touch up paint pens are available, and good luck finding the leather for the seats/steering wheel. TMI has a few sets of Mystichrome seats left and they used new old stock leather for them but that was the last of it. A used set in decent shape usually sell for 2 grand on Ebay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread