Whipple owners BEWARE!!!!!

MY DREAM

Established Member
Ok, this is not a negative bash on Whipple, I love my Whipple supercharger and they have been really good with me. With that said. I noticed my sight class was blackened and I could not see the fluid level. Because of this I decided to remove the snout and front cover to clean the sight glass and then put fresh oil in. I stopped at Whipple in Fresno CA as I was traveling through and bought some oil. I get home and later that weekend I pull the snout off to find that the "Carbon Coupler" that joins the snout shaft to the gears is all cracked and about to fall apart (so it seems) I immediately picked up the cell and called Whipple, spoke with Mark and he asked what HP I am pushing. I told him about 650, Mark tells me that when running "high HP" you need the "high HP" "Carbon coupler". The one that comes in the Gen II 2.3L apparently does not have the "High HP" coupler. Now, I would think that if these are being sold for the 03 04 Cobra......they should come with a "High HP" coupler, just my opinion. Anyway. I asked how much and Mark told me $85. I said done deal, how can I pay you and let's get this out. Mark proceeds to tell me that they do not accept orders over the phone. I have to go to the Whipple web site, download an order form, fill it out and put "Carbon Coupler" for the part then fax it over to them or scan it and email it. In todays modern world and with a company as big as Whipple, I kind of expected better. So, without farther a dew....I give you the pics. I suggest you pull your snout to check yours. It is a very, very simple procedure to do.

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5027.jpg

A little more info, I bought the Whipple new in March of 2007, and I have only about 15K on it. I rocked the 13 pounds for a few weeks, then went right to the 15 pound pulley for about a year, then went to 17 pounds Dec 08...ben their since. Occasional drag race with the occasional road course race.

James

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Sup James,
Sorry to hear.. That's the reason i got rid of my whipple! :banana:

va boy

Established Member
Good info, I will be ording one of those, perfect timing as mine is not on the car yet, thanks for posting! I agree, should have come with a "high HP coupling" from the factory. Isn't a 2.3 synonymous with high HP???

MY DREAM

Established Member
va boy, "Isn't a 2.3 synonymous with high HP???" That's what I was thinking....oh well, such as life.

NOEL!!!!! Dude what's up bro?!?! So did you sell the slowbra and get a ZOSEX? I been kicking around the idea of adding one to my stable.

James

Teej281

Established Member
OP, ever think that the heat of road course racing could have played a role in this? I really dont think that this would be an issue, but with the OP admitting road racing as one of his activities with a car, it obviously gets pretty damn hot and can start warping and cracking stuff.

Just sayin' guys.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
NOEL!!!!! Dude what's up bro?!?! So did you sell the slowbra and get a ZOSEX? I been kicking around the idea of adding one to my stable.
James
Hanging out / working myself to death.. :rolling:
Otherwise things couldn't be better.
I seen the show you & Mike were on - Man it was a great episode! (Felt like i new a couple of celebrities) Nice work..

Yea, I went back over to the darkside.. Highly recommend, you won’t be disappointed.

If i see you before you pick one up - i'll toss you the keys so you can check it out. :thumbsup:
Hit me up if you have any questions (the darkside is alway accepting new applications). :-D

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
OP, ever think that the heat of road course racing could have played a role in this? I really dont think that this would be an issue, but with the OP admitting road racing as one of his activities with a car, it obviously gets pretty damn hot and can start warping and cracking stuff.

Just sayin' guys.

This is absolutely true. Heat has everything to do with anything. I am in no way bashing your post so please take no offense, but in the OP's defense for making the thread, most guys who put high boosting Whipples on tend to use them for exactly what they put them on for which is racing and high power outputs. He just was giving everyone a heads up for whoever is in the same boat.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have dealt with Whipple directly also, and agree with the op on their ordering process being way antiquated! I mean, how hard would it have been for the guy to just take your info over the phone, and put the order through, like EVERY other company out there does? Or better yet, if they don't want to interact with their customers, just have a freakin shopping cart added to their site!:rollseyes

MY DREAM

Established Member
For those that are concerned with the heat from track racing, I have only tracked it 3 times, 2 times at Thunderhill, and once at Buttonwillow. Heat from this may indeed be an issue however, when I spoke with Mark at Whipple he never asked anything other than HP level. That's all he was concerned with.

So I guess if you are putting a Whipple on your car for any reason other than looks (you know, for tons of power) than I would look into this "Carbon Coupler" just to be safe. Just saying.

James

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I have dealt with Whipple directly also, and agree with the op on their ordering process being way antiquated! I mean, how hard would it have been for the guy to just take your info over the phone, and put the order through, like EVERY other company out there does? Or better yet, if they don't want to interact with their customers, just have a freakin shopping cart added to their site!:rollseyes

+1. I wanted to order a smaller pulley for the whipple and once they told me I had to DL a form and submit it back to them I just ended up dealing with Lethal and have them take care of everything.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Hanging out / working myself to death.. :rolling:
Otherwise things couldn't be better.
I seen the show you & Mike were on - Man it was a great episode! (Felt like i new a couple of celebrities) Nice work..

Yea, I went back over to the darkside.. Highly recommend, you won’t be disappointed.

If i see you before you pick one up - i'll toss you the keys so you can check it out. :thumbsup:
Hit me up if you have any questions (the darkside is alway accepting new applications). :-D

Noel,
I would take you up on that offer but I won't just yet as I am sure that after sitting behind the wheel of one....I would go buy one....like right then!

Glad you saw the show. I have the car we built on the show in my garage now too! Don't know what to do with it. Just working on my Cobra, my 65 mustang and the NASCAR from the show. Always keeping busy. We need to just plan a date to come down your way and hang out.

James

Teej281

Established Member
This is absolutely true. Heat has everything to do with anything. I am in no way bashing your post so please take no offense, but in the OP's defense for making the thread, most guys who put high boosting Whipples on tend to use them for exactly what they put them on for which is racing and high power outputs. He just was giving everyone a heads up for whoever is in the same boat.

No harm, no foul man! I'm just saying that I think that when pulley'd down he would have been fine with the road racing. Knowing that he is pulley'd for high hp and racing the car at the track(road course and 1/4 mile) that this would be a necessary upgrade. I really dont think that street cars would have to be worried about it as they are not submitted to prolonged periods of going WOT and laps upon laps of high heat and stress. Similar to why street cars dont have to run a diff cooler, but cars that run at the track usually like to run a diff cooler. This is where something like the LC blowers from KB would be good.

I think heat, more so than power, did this. Not bashing you or coming back at you being a dick or anything, just explaining things further.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I just don't understand why they wouldn't use the best coupler for this application since anyone who is putting one of these on a Cobra is obviously looking to exceed stock HP levels, otherwise they wouldn't bother to spend the extra $4-5K in the first place!:rollseyes You know that even though they may charge $85 for the coupler, that it is probably something they pay $10, or less to have made, so even if they had to mark up the price of the blower a few bucks to cover it, it seems like it would make sense to do so.:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread