Whipple owners BEWARE!!!!!

black 10th vert

Established Member
I forgot to mention that the new one has a "P" etched into the center. After I did some research, it appears the "P" denotes that it is the Carbon coupler. It's made by PEEK and contains 30% carbon fiber.

James

Thanks for updating the thread, as now at least we will be able to identify if they sent the right one.;-)

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
OP, ever think that the heat of road course racing could have played a role in this? I really dont think that this would be an issue, but with the OP admitting road racing as one of his activities with a car, it obviously gets pretty damn hot and can start warping and cracking stuff.

Just sayin' guys.

It doesn't matter if he was running the car on road courses or not.... When he bought the whipple it didn't come with a warning label that says do not use on road courses. Whipple is pretty shitty when it comes to helping out with stuff... I just tried to deal with them on buying rotors for a 3.4 not long ago and got about 3 different priced before they said " ohh wait we can't sell just the rotors"......

Good luck man but I wouldn't go through the trouble with the ring because it probly needs bearings too. There's no way I would put it back together without replacing the rear bearings first... Trust me

cobracide

Established Member
Stress fractures

As an engineer I can tell you this is a design flaw and I bet it wasn't discovered until many blowers have been installed in cars and they quietly produced a corrected part and are marketing it as an "upgrade" to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation telling the customer this is what they need if they want their blower to reliably produce boost as advertised (in the OEM world this is called a "recall"). Are they installing this upgrade on all their new blowers? Something tells me they are.

You don't design a blower to produce 25 lbs with a hub that will fail.

Yes, the jagged lines tell us that the fracture happened slowly. Totally agree here, quiet part change so they did not have to take big hit on replacement costs.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
To update this thread i just ordered one today. My upper pulley had alot of play. Took the snout off and the coupler was in 3 pieces.

evolve

Established Member
Wow thats crazy! I went with Vortech because of a friends recommendation. Then the sale and I jumped.

MY DREAM

Established Member
To update this thread i just ordered one today. My upper pulley had alot of play. Took the snout off and the coupler was in 3 pieces.

Hey Carlos,

Anyway you could post up some pics of it? I would like to see if the stress fractures are similar? Good to gather data and share with others. I have had the new coupler on for a while now, I should take the snout off and see how the new one is holding up.

James

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Hey Carlos,

Anyway you could post up some pics of it? I would like to see if the stress fractures are similar? Good to gather data and share with others. I have had the new coupler on for a while now, I should take the snout off and see how the new one is holding up.

James

Please do. I would be interested in finding this out. My car is running a Gen 1 2.3. I can only imagine whats going on in there.

Always something new to deal with. I came on after this thread was first opened. Thanks for refreshing it.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Damn. I bought a used 2.3 Gen II from a guy on here and sold it before ever mounting it when I bought the Lysholm kit. He said it leaked from the snout during transit, I wonder if it also had a cracked coupler.

racebronco2

Established Member
Here are the only pieces i could find. I did but the blower used but when i installed the blower it did not have any play. In fact i changed the pulley about two weeks ago and it had zero play. I did order tow couplers just in case. For now i used an m90 coupler and had to enlarge the dowel pin holes and spread the pattern out a little. I need to do some testing before the next track day. I should have then here on friday but can't wait for the testing that eeeds to be doen.
dsci0125a.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
Bump for new (used) whipple Cobra owners. Try to make sure all are aware before damage can result.

James

Thanks for bringing this up to the top. Can you remove the snout with out draining the oil? Will it leak? I just spent $25 in oil to fill the damn thing. Also is there a gasket between the snout and the case?

Give us the goods on removing the snout please. :rockon:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Thanks for bringing this up to the top. Can you remove the snout with out draining the oil? Will it leak? I just spent $25 in oil to fill the damn thing. Also is there a gasket between the snout and the case?

Give us the goods on removing the snout please. :rockon:

Gonna have to drain/suction the oil out to remove the snout. You can suction out enough to get the oil level below the snout opening, that way you can save and reuse the oil. It is very simple to do. Remove your belt, suction out the oil through the top fill plug, then remove the bolts holding the snout to the front cover. Just pull the snout straight out and the coupler will ether be on the snout or the supercharger. Make sure you put a rag under the snout befor you remove the bolts and pull it off. That way if any oil does drip out you can catch it before it makes a mess. No gasket between the two pieces. I did use a very tiny amount of form-a-gasket (very, VERY small amount) between when I put it back together. May not be needed but I just wanted to make sure. I bought the Whipple oil that is $45 so I was damn sure to not waste any of it. Good luck and post up with your findings.

James

testorossa1989

Established Member
I work manufacturing it seems like just a field failure. The unfortunate luck of the draw and falls into a 1/20,000 chance of happening again. If this was something to happen 2 months after putting it on i would be skeptical and contacting their quality control department right away but you stated you had it since 2007. Many things could have come into play. Also, whipple wont tell you this but they likely have a bundle of field failures and improved design over the years and changed a few things here and there and never stated it, released information of it or updated it to a GEN II design. That is if its something that occured between a certain batch of blowers that were built. That being said, you really wont know the sure answer soooo the next course of action is up to you

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
That is why I posted this. The only way for Whipple owners to know is to pull the snout and check. Better safe then sorry. It will cost nothing to check it out. Suck out the oil for reuse and pull the snout. Sorry but I disagree with your "1/20,000 chance of happening again" as others have already confirmed they had the same issue. As I have stated before, I am just trying to help others out and let them know to check it, thats all. It very well could have happened 2 months after I put it on.....we will never know.

James

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
never knew about this, thanks for keeping the thread alive. Will have to examine mine for play.

Users who are viewing this thread