Whipple owners BEWARE!!!!!

MY DREAM

Established Member
No harm, no foul man! I'm just saying that I think that when pulley'd down he would have been fine with the road racing. Knowing that he is pulley'd for high hp and racing the car at the track(road course and 1/4 mile) that this would be a necessary upgrade. I really dont think that street cars would have to be worried about it as they are not submitted to prolonged periods of going WOT and laps upon laps of high heat and stress. Similar to why street cars dont have to run a diff cooler, but cars that run at the track usually like to run a diff cooler. This is where something like the LC blowers from KB would be good.

I think heat, more so than power, did this. Not bashing you or coming back at you being a dick or anything, just explaining things further.

True true, all good points. However, I (and I am sure many others) had no idea that their was an option for a different coupler that would be necessary for high stress, heat and HP levels. I knew nothing about the coupler or if their were other options until I took mine apart and found it to be cracked.

Also, off topic a little but I doubt that many people have bought the 2.3L Whipples and left them at the 3.5" pulley (with stock lower) 13 pound set up. The 2.3L Whipples are as I was told by Whipple when I got it is that is optimum range is 17-24 pounds of boost. I am at the bottom of it's efficiency range.

My sole purpose of this thread was to make all 2.3L Whipple owners aware that this may happen to theirs and they should check it out before damage occurs. I provided all the information and background of my setup and left it to every one to make their own choice as to weather or not it may or may not apply to them. Just want my Cobra brothers and sisters to be informed.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
Hmmmmm, I wonder if an aluminum coupler would be a suitable option? I'm just throwing that out their.

James

black 10th vert

Established Member
Hmmmmm, I wonder if an aluminum coupler would be a suitable option? I'm just throwing that out their.

James

Bad idea due to the harmonics. A much better idea would be not to use that cast plastic they do, and machine it out of Delrin, or UHMW, now that would hold up for sure, and control the harmonics that the gears transmit. I should have taken the dimensions when mine was apart, so that I could have made a spare out of Delrin.:bash:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
my snouts leaking so i'll check mine in september when I get back from vacation...txs for the heads up -op

mach1033

Established Member
Hmmm when I called Whipple last summer to order new stickers for my 2.3 they took my order right over the phone :shrug: Maybe they changed there policy.

Blown38

Established Member
We picked up a used 2.3 whipple the end of last year. And I took it apart to check everything out and clean the oil resevoir, as it was black and couldn't see oil level. I also found a hairline crack in the coupler. Nowhere near as bad as the OP's coupler. Called whipple to get a new one and had the same pain trying to order, especially cause their fax machine was acting up. Whipple gave 600hp as the threashold for the heavy duty coupler.

Finally took the car to the track to test eveything out and the blower made 24psi. A ton more than I expected. Time to do some pulley swapping and research.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hmmm when I called Whipple last summer to order new stickers for my 2.3 they took my order right over the phone :shrug: Maybe they changed there policy.

Maybe they got a trained chimp to box up and send out the stickers but the more beefy parts are beyond his expertise:D

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
No harm, no foul man! I'm just saying that I think that when pulley'd down he would have been fine with the road racing. Knowing that he is pulley'd for high hp and racing the car at the track(road course and 1/4 mile) that this would be a necessary upgrade. I really dont think that street cars would have to be worried about it as they are not submitted to prolonged periods of going WOT and laps upon laps of high heat and stress. Similar to why street cars dont have to run a diff cooler, but cars that run at the track usually like to run a diff cooler. This is where something like the LC blowers from KB would be good.

I think heat, more so than power, did this. Not bashing you or coming back at you being a dick or anything, just explaining things further.

Not at all bud. Now that you explain your point more thoroughly, I see where you are coming from. I agree with you.

Ironhand

Banned
This is for everyone's knowledge.

If you call Whipple you must talk to either Dustin or Mike Calicoat. If you get anyone else, try again later. Mike took a card over the phone on a few things including a rebuild that he cut almost 300 dollars off of.

Anyone else and you'd be wasting your time. Im gonna call on Monday and see what Mike has to say.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Dustin is a cool guy, he took me on a tour of the Whipple facility like 2 years ago, pretty nice guy.

James

Teej281

Established Member
True true, all good points. However, I (and I am sure many others) had no idea that their was an option for a different coupler that would be necessary for high stress, heat and HP levels. I knew nothing about the coupler or if their were other options until I took mine apart and found it to be cracked.

Also, off topic a little but I doubt that many people have bought the 2.3L Whipples and left them at the 3.5" pulley (with stock lower) 13 pound set up. The 2.3L Whipples are as I was told by Whipple when I got it is that is optimum range is 17-24 pounds of boost. I am at the bottom of it's efficiency range.

My sole purpose of this thread was to make all 2.3L Whipple owners aware that this may happen to theirs and they should check it out before damage occurs. I provided all the information and background of my setup and left it to every one to make their own choice as to weather or not it may or may not apply to them. Just want my Cobra brothers and sisters to be informed.

James

Yea, not a lot of people that buy the whipples will keep them pulley'd with the stock 3.5". But for those individuals that are road racing actually do keep their whipples pulley'd like that. Twin screws, while more efficient that roots blowers, make heat still and when driving them hard at the track will super-heat them. If you notice, the guys that road race never pulley their cars, or if they do, its not very much at all. They use other ways of making power that dont add heat. Putting on a whipple and stock pulley making 13psi would be an awesome upgrade from a stock pulley eaton for road racing by adding power while not adding heat.

But I digress. I'm sorry to clutter up this thread. But I thought it would be duely noted that this issue was probably not caused by the amount of power produced, but rather the heat and stress it was put under while at those power levels. Is it worth a check, sure. But I doubt that this will be an issue with most of the users of whipples.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I'm bashing, for the cost of their blowers they should throw in the $85 part (probably costs them less than that) to begin with instead of putting the burden on their customers. Not to mention, I bet if you bought one new under warranty, found out about the deficiency, and installed the part yourself (still under warranty) they'd reject any claim.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm bashing, for the cost of their blowers they should throw in the $85 part (probably costs them less than that) to begin with instead of putting the burden on their customers. Not to mention, I bet if you bought one new under warranty, found out about the deficiency, and installed the part yourself (still under warranty) they'd reject any claim.

That's what I was pointing out above. You know that part costs them very little, despite the $85 retail price. Also, I can't understand why they would even use a cheap, cast plastic part there, instead of machining it from a durable material made for this type of application like a Delrin, UHMW, nylon, etc. Any of those would hold up against the heat also.

Tractionless1

Established Member
That's what I was pointing out above. You know that part costs them very little, despite the $85 retail price. Also, I can't understand why they would even use a cheap, cast plastic part there, instead of machining it from a durable material made for this type of application like a Delrin, UHMW, nylon, etc. Any of those would hold up against the heat also.

S*it I didn't even notice it's plastic!! What a F'ing joke, another wonderful example of soaking customers while padding the bottom line. Whipples for sale everyone going TVS!!

cbr repsol

Established Member
just spoke with mike at whipple:

He advised me the new 2.9 for the 03/04 cobra has the upgraded coupler so there is no worries.

The 2.3 gen1 or gen 2 all have the coupler shown in the pic. He also advised me and anyone to upgrade to the carbon coupler at 600 rwhp.
Im at 552 rwhp right now but i bought my whipple used and its seen over 600 rwhp, So this is my to do mod asap.

Users who are viewing this thread