Whipple owners BEWARE!!!!!

MY DREAM

Established Member
They need to set that RWHP lower for the upgraded coupler becuase I am 592RWP, I know it's close but still. Just to be safe, if you have the 2.3L Whipple it's probably best to upgrade before something goes wrong and it ends up costing more $$$ to fix.

James

They shipped mine out today so as soon as I get it I will post pictures of the new one.

cbr repsol

Established Member
They need to set that RWHP lower for the upgraded coupler becuase I am 592RWP, I know it's close but still. Just to be safe, if you have the 2.3L Whipple it's probably best to upgrade before something goes wrong and it ends up costing more $$$ to fix.

i think its cheap insurance....To me its not that big of a deal...eaton couplers go bad as well. So now we are in the strength territory. Kind of like running 700 rwhp on a 10 spline input shaft. problems are just going to happen so upgrade to the 26 spline.

Teej281

Established Member
Customers should be made aware of whats inside the blower and be made aware of the coupler's strength limits from the beginning. Also, they should add an option for it at the beginning as well.

Just another $85 closer to the price of a 2.9 whipple! lol

cbr repsol

Established Member
Customers should be made aware of whats inside the blower and be made aware of the coupler's strength limits from the beginning. Also, they should add an option for it at the beginning as well.

Just another $85 closer to the price of a 2.9 whipple! lol

yes it should be know and a option...@ the 85 buck closer...yes true but, the 2.9 just came out. Most have had their 2.3's from back in the day when the next upgrade was only 3.4.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Man, I would be willing to bet that they are the same!!!

I may just buy one to compare it and see.

James

Blown38

Established Member
I believe the whipple unit is bigger in diameter and thicker. I looked for my cracked one earlier to get a picture up but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Stress fractures

As an engineer I can tell you this is a design flaw and I bet it wasn't discovered until many blowers have been installed in cars and they quietly produced a corrected part and are marketing it as an "upgrade" to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation telling the customer this is what they need if they want their blower to reliably produce boost as advertised (in the OEM world this is called a "recall"). Are they installing this upgrade on all their new blowers? Something tells me they are.

You don't design a blower to produce 25 lbs with a hub that will fail.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Stress fractures

As an engineer I can tell you this is a design flaw and I bet it wasn't discovered until many blowers have been installed in cars and they quietly produced a corrected part and are marketing it as an "upgrade" to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation telling the customer this is what they need if they want their blower to reliably produce boost as advertised (in the OEM world this is called a "recall"). Are they installing this upgrade on all their new blowers? Something tells me they are.

Amen brother, that's what I am getting at! The 2.3L was designed for optimum performance at boost levels between 17 and 24 pounds of boost. I am at the bottom of that scale. Yes I tracked it a few times and it was exposed to heat.....but isnt that what superchargers do, generate heat? I'm no engineer....just sayin.

I'll say it again, if you have a 2.3L......you should just check it, it won't hurt to check and it doesn't cost anything to check it and make sure.

James

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Interesting. I have a 2.3 that seized on me sitting in a box. Was making just short of 700 rwhp at the time it went. Never have pulled it apart to see what went wrong. Just replaced it with a crusher 3.4. Would be interesting if it was something as simple as this though. That would be a cheap fix to have another blower sitting around.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Amen brother, that's what I am getting at! The 2.3L was designed for optimum performance at boost levels between 17 and 24 pounds of boost. I am at the bottom of that scale. Yes I tracked it a few times and it was exposed to heat.....but isnt that what superchargers do, generate heat? I'm no engineer....just sayin.

I'll say it again, if you have a 2.3L......you should just check it, it won't hurt to check and it doesn't cost anything to check it and make sure.

James

There is nothing you can do to compromise that hub like that. That is likely a result of fatigue. There are many other parts inside the blower more worthy of damage like gears, bearings and rotors. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and will be a rare occurrence.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Yes, I hope this is isolated. Best that folks check and find no damage, but if you do find damage, hopefully it was in time before doing anything serious.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
Well, I finally got the new one in today. I did not take pictures of it because it looks, feels and weighs the same as the original but without the cracks. What a disappointment if this happens to be the same damn thing. The paper work says it is the high HP carbon coupler. Guess I will see. Has any one else checked theirs yet?

James

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, I finally got the new one in today. I did not take pictures of it because it looks, feels and weighs the same as the original but without the cracks. What a disappointment if this happens to be the same damn thing. The paper work says it is the high HP carbon coupler. Guess I will see. Has any one else checked theirs yet?

James

Thanks for the update! I really hope they did send you the right one, but even if they didn't, a new stock one should hold up for quite awhile anyway. You would certainly think it would look, or feel different in some way, though, like color, texture, or weight.:??:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Thanks for the update! I really hope they did send you the right one, but even if they didn't, a new stock one should hold up for quite awhile anyway. You would certainly think it would look, or feel different in some way, though, like color, texture, or weight.:??:

That's what I thought, but it is exactly the same!

James

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Lol at Whipples ordering process and $85 option that nobody knows about. Common! Whats the hell were they thinking anyway???

javierrflores

svt
Established Member
Stress fractures

^^this^^^

MY DREAM

Established Member
I forgot to mention that the new one has a "P" etched into the center. After I did some research, it appears the "P" denotes that it is the Carbon coupler. It's made by PEEK and contains 30% carbon fiber.

James

Black Sex

Established Member
Im going to look at mine when I get home. I have the snout off now to strip and polish it. The coupler stayed in the blower and didn't come off with the snout.

Users who are viewing this thread