Who else has given up two wheels?

nickf2005

Established Member
I put 10,000 miles on a Yamaha V-Star in 3 years while we lived in Tennessee. Beautiful riding through the hills and lots of downtime as it was just my wife and I.

We then moved back to Indiana and I sold it a couple months later. Riding was boring between a bunch of corn fields and 1 trip on 465 during rush hour was enough to scare even the manliest of men. Plus, more serious talk of kids started happening. I don't think I'll ever look back and try to get back into it. I now enjoy tractors and chainsaws.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Rode for well over 35 years and finally gave it up. Guess about mid 90's moved and had the bike in the shop and rode off and on for a while. Eventually it just came to sitting there and never being rode. So a few years back sold it. I still have a scooter I got free that I have never gotten around to getting running. Just kind of eased out of it over the years.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Went to Italy last August as I usually do every year. My cousin had a Ducati 959 and I would drool every time I saw it.
So essentially I bought my dream bike 2 months ago ..

2015 Ducati 1299 w/ full race Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust w/ Loaded Ducati Corsa Race Map.. Needless to say I can't wait for the spring!!!

View attachment 1457107 View attachment 1457108 View attachment 1457109

Nice to see someone else thats into ducati 's too. I just got my 1299SL a few months ago. Loving it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Damn, sorry to hear about your accident man.

I first lerned to ride 10 years ago when I lived in Tucson. Bought two Harleys when I was there. Loved it. Moved to California and it became my only form of transportation for over a year...**** that noise man. The joy of riding is depleted real quick when its not purely for fun.

I bought one other Harley in that time period, but in late 2014 traded it in on a brand new 2014 Mustang GT and with it my entrance to this amazing world of Ford Performance. Eventally led to my beloved Shelby.

I had to buy a motorcycle (2004 Yamaha FZ1) to commute to work at the end of 2016. I lived 35 miles away from work before I was able to escape California for Arizona. I rode my bike literally a handful of times in Phoenix after I moved before I parked it. Been almost 6 months, but shes getting ready to have a for sale sign put on it. Truth be told, Id enjoy riding it for 10-15 minutes before I got bored and wanted to be in my Shelby. But that's not the main reason. Its being on the road with literally the worst drivers in the world.

I absolutely refuse to ride in AZ now unless its the middle of the night. The drivers here in AZ (Phoenix at least) are HORENDOUS. I rode for almost 10 years in California and while I had close calls a few times, nothing compares to the incompetence of AZ drivers. You made the right call here.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I sold my second GSXR 600 a couple years ago. I rode a lot for several years with a group of buddies. Those were some of the most fun, exciting, scary times of my life. Bikes, especially sport bikes, can be some of the most exhilarating experiences you can have. But you can't cheat death forever so I sold it before it got me. I love bikes though and always will.

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
At the moment I am without a bike. I have owned several, and my go-to bike will always be a Hayabusa.

There are risks in everything we do in life. I drag raced bikes for years. Everyone thought I was nuts. Seven second passes at close to 200mph. I enjoyed every second, and today I miss it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I honestly wish I could have brought myself to ride when I was in my early 20's. I just couldn't do it despite having a number of friends who rode.

When I was 6 we stopped by the local convenient mart for some milk, paper etc. I waited in the car for my mom to come back. I was watching out the side window and saw a wheel come off a K5 blazer and hit the front wheel of a Harley (or similar cruiser) and cause the guy to go headfirst over the handle bars and face plant into some decorative rocks on the other side of the road. I still remember it vividly and how random it was. We had to stick around at the scene because my mom's an RN and she was obligated to help. He was transported to the local hospital in the trauma unit. My mom watched the guy die that night. I figured if random events like that have a slight chance of taking me out, how easily could the stupidity of others kill me on two wheels?

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Quit when i moved down here (nowhere to ride). Moving back to the country and will be off-roading a dirt bike. No more streets for me

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have an incident then take short breaks. Never quit for good. Yet. The day is coming. Seems like every summer I have a close call. One of these times my ticket will come due. I'd rather not experience that.

Two summers ago I had a lady pass me on the median on the highway. She was in a Suburban. Concrete barrier to her left, me to her right, and semi to my right. Basically I was the meat in bad physics sandwich. The lady was a complete psychopath. As this is happening she is yelling and flipping me off. I literally have no idea what set her off. I followed her (from a safe distance) for as long as I could. At the time my blood was boiling and was waiting for her to pull over. I'd probably be in jail today if I caught her.

Thabeast

Established Member
I quit in 2015 after several years of riding. Seemed like I could ride all day out on the rural highways and every time I was in town someone in a car/truck/suv would try to kill me. When a drunk driver ran over two people on a Harley (instant death) on one of my favorite rural highways I sold my rather trick Buell Thunderbolt and bought my vert gt500.

11sec Guy

Established Member
I know the risks, but it’s a indescribable feeling riding something like this. It’s something that I won’t ever give up doing.
eddf59b9e040d54fe8ed95e947295456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I've mentioned it in other threads but I've given up riding. It was bad enough dealing with drivers that didn't give a shit about bikes on the road or were inattentive, but now with smartphones everywhere? Yeah **** that. I almost get into a wreck every single day in my truck and it's pretty hard to miss. I'm not risking it when everyone has their faces buried in their phones instead of watching the road.

I do miss my Busas though, they were fun as hell.

_Snake_

Established Member
I sold my second GSXR 600 a couple years ago. I rode a lot for several years with a group of buddies. Those were some of the most fun, exciting, scary times of my life. Bikes, especially sport bikes, can be some of the most exhilarating experiences you can have. But you can't cheat death forever so I sold it before it got me. I love bikes though and always will.

I can relate. I scared myself at least once almost every time I threw a leg over my sportbike. Although 50% of those moments were my own doing, the end result would have been the same.

My94GT

Established Member
I gave it up for the time being but I'm always tempted to pick another one up. frankly I just don't have the free time for track days any longer and I doubt ill enjoy a bike as much if I'm not at the track so its not a major concern. ATGATT crew checking in though.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I haven't given it up yet but I have considered it. I did give up sport bikes for my own good, i was too reckless on them, always trying to see how much faster i could go around a corner than i did it last time etc. I moved to harleys and have since slowed way down and just enjoy the ride now.

When i moved to the city a few years ago I brought the bike but barely ever rode it, I lived 2.5 miles from work so it wasn't worth the time it took to get geared up, bike uncovered and ready to go just to ride for 5 minutes. And forget joy riding in the city it was a accident waiting to happen. I still work in the city but moved way outside in the country. The only days i ride to work are saturdays since i come in so early there is no traffic and barely any when leaving in the afternoon. Otherwise I just joy ride in the country away from as much traffic as possible.

I will say riding a motorcycle has made me a better driver, super aware of what everyone else is doing at all times, I only wish all other drivers had the same sense of awareness and responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread