Why are s550 GT500s so slow?

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Why should they? They sell literally every car they make and then some.

Profit isn't in stripper models and the gt500 isn't meant to be a straight line car. It's more than just an 11 second car. And they run 10s stock.
I saw one lose to a Dodge TRX truck. Sad day for Shelby.

10.99 on a good day maybe.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
So FP needs to cater to you and your needs? Plenty of other people apparently wanted the DCT so FP was clearly prepared to lose a potential buyer like you. Can't please everyone.
If a 100k automatic transmission Shelby that runs 11s pleases you then that's great. No it does not please me and that's why I dont have one or have any desire for one. Lots of other great choices for less than 6 figures.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Back in 2013 when I ordered my 14, the MSRP for a base coupe was $ 54,800.00, + $ 795.00 delivery charge..
And in 8 years that number has nearly doubled. We can blame inflation sure but look no further than 20k wheels, 16k wing and 25k auto transmission. 60k in parts that should have been options for those who want them.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
They are an option. The Ecoboost you seek is available for 60k less.
I was promissed the eco BEAST in 2013 for the upcoming model. I even spoke to the engineers and saw the prototype. What we ended up with is a major disappointment. And at the price point its also laughable.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As stated, it’s a transmission thing.

It’ll get there

You guys forget the coyote / 6R80s have been around for over a decade at this point. GT500 still ‘new kid on the block’

I guess I was under the impression they had solved the trans tuning issues on them, seemed like right when they came out they hit an ET wall pretty quickly. Then started sorting out some trans stuff and started going faster, didn't realize it was still an issue

techi14

Established Member
Damn thing runs 10's out of the showroom floor. Mine did a 10.9 bone stock and outhandles 95% of sports cars out there. Thing is incredible all around.

And oh hey....have you heard of a business case? yes Ford is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Makes zero sense to offer some stripper poverty model given the already saturated model lineup.

If you don't like what it costs or how "slow" it is then don't buy one? not sure how that is such a hard concept to grasp.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I see this as not all that different from the C7 ZR1. They have taken the front engine, RWD platform as far as possible, and have long since reached the point of diminishing returns, where adding gobs of HP just doesn't get you as much as it once did. Hardly makes it slow though

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I see this as not all that different from the C7 ZR1. They have taken the front engine, RWD platform as far as possible, and have long since reached the point of diminishing returns, where adding gobs of HP just doesn't get you as much as it once did. Hardly makes it slow though

A whipple 3.8 is essentially a max effort with this motor and a coyote with a 3.8 is faster. That is what I am pointing out. The gt500 in fact has less potential than a GT.

Dusten

Established Member
A whipple 3.8 is essentially a max effort with this motor and a coyote with a 3.8 is faster. That is what I am pointing out. The gt500 in fact has less potential than a GT.

It has less potentional that's unlocked. The transmission is, to date, untunable.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess I was under the impression they had solved the trans tuning issues on them, seemed like right when they came out they hit an ET wall pretty quickly. Then started sorting out some trans stuff and started going faster, didn't realize it was still an issue

Alex talks about this a bit on his shows. Essentially the TCM is still not fully unlocked. It is essentially keeping itself from grenading and many don’t believe they will ever have full access.

Isn’t the C8 still pretty much locked down? I have hardly seen anything about stupid C7s and nothing I can ever remember seeing on the C8s.

This is why I think older, easily modifiable cars are going to start skyrocketing in value.

My math may be off but, I think a quarter midget is a garden gnome.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
In a straight line, sure. It’s all transmission limited due to tuning. Ken at PBD has a TT GT500 making north of 1500hp and he is fighting with it to work well for roll race events, much less 1/4 mile applications.

Put a 6R80 or TH400 in the GT500 and it’ll do what you’re looking for.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Alex talks about this a bit on his shows. Essentially the TCM is still not fully unlocked. It is essentially keeping itself from grenading and many don’t believe they will ever have full access.

Isn’t the C8 still pretty much locked down? I have hardly seen anything about stupid C7s and nothing I can ever remember seeing on the C8s.

This is why I think older, easily modifiable cars are going to start skyrocketing in value.

My math may be off but, I think a quarter midget is a garden gnome.
C7 was cracked a while back by HP Tuners. My car has a TCM tune. As for the C8 they literally just cracked the ECU and only 1 company is doing it. They are working with Procharger exclusively for now.

As for the TCM there is no tuning yet, just a TCM box which allows you to adjust clutch pressure from 5-15%.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
A provocative title, I know. But hear me out.

There has probably never been a platform that can get into the 9s so easily. Headers, injectors, BAP and a pulley gets you there all day long. This is amazingly fast and even amazingly can be done with an afternoons work.

But what is very easy becomes very hard if you want to get to the next level.

I have been contemplating a 3.8 gt500 and I have to say I am not super impressed. It seems they barely make it to the 8s.

Don't get me wrong, very low 9s/hi 8s is super fast but for whatever reason the gt500 has trouble whereas it does not seem tough for a 10r80 Coyote with a 3.8.

From my research (granted not a ton) it seems like approximately the same build is faster in a GT. Not to mention the greater flexibility you have with building the 10r80.

Am I missing something?

Bro… Stop it. Lol

”Barely make it into the 8s”….

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

Users who are viewing this thread