Why Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Their Cars

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Six months down the road on CraigsList:

*FOR SALE*

2013 Candy Red Shelby Mustang GT500 - Only 1,500 pampered miles!
Lady Driven, Non-Smoker, Ice-Cold A/C, No Accidents!
$59,500 obo. - Call Johnny Bananas' Used Cars

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Six months down the road on CraigsList:

*FOR SALE*

2013 Candy Red Shelby Mustang GT500 - Only 1,500 pampered miles!
Lady Driven, Non-Smoker, Ice-Cold A/C, No Accidents!
$59,500 obo. - Call Johnny Bananas' Used Cars
:lol1:
Don't forget "low mile creampuff"!
S.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm about to watch the video, but as far as the other people driving, I've let my dad, brother, and brother-in-law *once* drive my car.

I was always present in the passenger seat however.

jay38372

Established Member
Is it me or does the rear axle have just a teeny weeny bit to much toe and camber dialed in, seriously though hope whoever was in it didn't get hurt to badly i noticed the blood too.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
There would be noway I would let someone drive a car that powerful without me at least in it while they were driving it. I've only let one other person drive my Cobra and that was my best friend and I was in the passenger seat. I didn't even let him 'get on it.'

Hopefully his insurance covers him on that. I wouldn't want to eat 65K to 70K.

Tikigrill

Established Member
Prayers go out to whoever was in the car at the time. Makes me sick to see such a nice car tore up like that.
I also let Pops drive my car but his makes more power than mine and he lets me drive his.
Drive safe everybody.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I havn't been able to educate myself about the MyKey option on these cars yet (since I don't have my car yet, lol). How much can I limit with this? Are the restricted parameters selectable or more "on or off"? Meaning, can I choose what mph/rpm to want to limit, etc, or is it chosen for me?

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Sounds like he was more concerned about his car then his friend.

Well, in all honesty, if his friend is ok, then it's definitely within reason that he would then focus his attention on the car.

I would do the same. First make sure friend is ok, and if so, I'd no longer we worried about them, just my totaled car.

HeavyH20

Established Member
There is definitely a learning curve to driving a high horsepower car. Most folks picking up a GT500 have had other fast cars.

Back, last year, when we first picked up a new RV and did not have the trailer yet, my wife drove the RV with the kids to the track (the night before) with me following in my car. On the way back, however, she preferred that I would drive the RV so she followed in my car. We ran into traffic and there was a point where she needed to catch up. She used to have a Mazda Mostly Plastic Vehicle (MPV) and to get rolling to pass, you would have to pretty much give it full gas. Well, she did the same thing in my car and lit them up at 65 MPH which caught her off guard. She was able to handle the back end getting loose, but, it was a bit unnerving for her. Bottom line, the power we take for advantage in a faster car is not normal in 99% of the cars out there, so lending such a vehicle to someone without that seat time, for even a routine event, can spell disaster.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Yeah you definatley don't hand the keys to someone without the experience of driving a near 700whp car especially on a rainy day!!! That video makes me sick, because if the wreck didn't kill the driver I would have. There is no reason for that and the speed it took to cause that damage was odviously reckless and excessive.

I had absolutely 0 experience in a car with more than 350 HP and much rear wheel drive. I drove my car for 4 hours in the rain from Brownsville to San Antonio and back. Are people making really dumb mistakes out there? I had no problems. People say these things will get up from under you, my car NEVER did that once while I was on vacation, unless that was my intention. I know what I could and it could do. and I did play around a little, but I KNOW how to control it and I leave the nannies on. Car is a beast when YOU want it to be, but it can be as tame as a kitten if you don't smash on it continually. The fastest I went in the 500 Miles it has on it was around 85 in a 75. No one will drive my car but me, but I don't think necessarily that someone who has driven a horsepower car is going to be anymore prepared, it's just comes down to being an idiot or not.

SVTKen

Established Member
Everyone wants to drive my car. My sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and one of my brothers (my other brother doesn't drive stick shift). These are all responsible people, and I may let them drive it when the weather warms up if they ask again, but only with me in the passenger seat instructing them on being careful :)

jbs$

Established Member
I have already pissed off a number of my long term friends over this very issue. Not all of the 662 horses are friendly, some will bit you in the ass very quickly.

eagle eye

Established Member
Everyone wants to drive my car. My sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and one of my brothers (my other brother doesn't drive stick shift). These are all responsible people, and I may let them drive it when the weather warms up if they ask again, but only with me in the passenger seat instructing them on being careful :)

No one has asked to drive my car but there's a lot of people lining up to go for a ride though.
As for the diehard bow-tie guy that asked for a ride?
Yeah right, go buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread