Why Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Their Cars

SVTKen

Established Member
Most people don't really understand what 662 hp or 631 lb-ft of torque means. I like to explain it in terms of something many people seem to think is the epitome of high-performance. The BMW 335i turbo has 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, and it's probably twice as fast as anything most people have driven. The GT500 has more than double those figures and weighs about the same. It will SCARE you silly.

GSStage2

Established Member
That is sad and scary, I was wondering when we would start seeing this sort of thing

mistake #1 do not shut off the TC for a friend
mistake #2 read #1 again

Not sure on others, but mine can get way out of shape in hurry even with all the traction control's enabled.

My wife is the only one that drives it other than myself, and she understands and respects the power

killr3v

Extreme Member
Established Member
Is it me or does the rear axle have just a teeny weeny bit to much toe and camber dialed in, seriously though hope whoever was in it didn't get hurt to badly i noticed the blood too.

Really? Live axle bro. 0 toe, 0 camber

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Anyone with the right frame of mind doesn't let a friend with no experience drive such a powerful car. The owner of the car is more to blame in this one for lending his keys. Hopefully the driver survived the crash.

BAS

Established Member
I agree with all the sentiments! My goodness, that car looked a mess and I hope the person driving has no long lasting injuries!

One comment I would make is manufacturers are building and selling such powerful cars and there is no governance over who buys them/ what training is given to purchasers. If you lend to your friend, you are no worse than a sales man at a stealership giving over a car.

No one is to blame but the driver; and even the driver may not be at fault (I remember reading a thread in off roasting your Shelby and the benefits of the front splitter). Myself and my wife will be seeking training and track time to "understand" the car better and actively learn how to tame the beast.

Last edited:

speednutz

Established Member
Yikes !!!! Hope no one was seriously hurt.......... and I hope it was covered by Insurance !
When my car came in I rode with the Mechanic on the "Test Run", that's how nuts I am about the whole idea of someone else driving my car:rolling:

Van@RevanRacing

Letting someone borrow a high horsepower car is about experience, respect and trust. I let a buddy of mine take my 13 GT500 out at Daytona multiple times at his leisure. He owns a 2007 GT500 but I also know he's going to drive it as if it were his own. Unfortunately for this guy the person that did this didn't respect the car or another's property.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
How do you tell someone you've totalled their Shelby, do you fedex it in or what?

Bob goes on vacation. He asks his moron brother to take care of his cat. After a few days on vacation, Bob calls to say hi. The moron brother blurts out "Your cat is dead."

Bob is beside himself with grief. And he chastises his moron brother for breaking the news to him in such an abrupt manner. The moron brother asks how he could have done it better.

Bob explains "Well, for example, you could have told me the cat was on the roof. The next time we talked, you could say the Fire Department is trying to get him down. The next time, you could say the cat fell during the rescue and was in the veterinarian hospital. The next time I called, you could say the cat succumbed to his injuries and passed away. That way I would be prepared for the bad news."

The moron brother says he understands. Then he adds, "Oh, by the way. Your Shelby is on the roof."

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Damn. I only let folks who have vehicles of qual value and power drive my car. No one (as of yet) has earned that right with my 13 GT500.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Bob goes on vacation. He asks his moron brother to take care of his cat. After a few days on vacation, Bob calls to say hi. The moron brother blurts out "Your cat is dead."

Bob is beside himself with grief. And he chastises his moron brother for breaking the news to him in such an abrupt manner. The moron brother asks how he could have done it better.

Bob explains "Well, for example, you could have told me the cat was on the roof. The next time we talked, you could say the Fire Department is trying to get him down. The next time, you could say the cat fell during the rescue and was in the veterinarian hospital. The next time I called, you could say the cat succumbed to his injuries and passed away. That way I would be prepared for the bad news."

The moron brother says he understands. Then he adds, "Oh, by the way. Your Shelby is on the roof."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member

This made me LOL. :lol1:

cluscher

Established Member
Letting someone borrow a high horsepower car is about experience, respect and trust. I let a buddy of mine take my 13 GT500 out at Daytona multiple times at his leisure. He owns a 2007 GT500 but I also know he's going to drive it as if it were his own. Unfortunately for this guy the person that did this didn't respect the car or another's property.

Damn that was fun!! :beer:

Myfast70

Established Member
This seriously sucks. I'm like most though, I want details!!!

And people wonder why laugh when they ask to drive my cars. The list of people I trust enough to drive my cars is a very short one... my wife (she has a 10sec car) and maybe two other friends.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread