Will Ford raise MSRP for 2008?

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
GM did it with the ZO6 when they realized people were willing to pay 10-15,000 dollars over. This excess fell right into the pockets of the dealers, but with the raised MSRP, it will go directly to Ford. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't see anything.

drmustang

Banned
This Mustang will be relying on its core customer base to clear 8,000 units yearly by 08. Unfortunately the 40 something thousand price tag is well out the ballpark for the majority of Mustang loyalists. Discounts from the current lofty price levels is far more likely than any dramatic sticker increases.

$45,000 Mustangs could be a tough sell sooner than you might imagine.

Jpjr

Established Member
drmustang said:
This Mustang will be relying on its core customer base to clear 8,000 units yearly by 08. Unfortunately the 40 something thousand price tag is well out the ballpark for the majority of Mustang loyalists. Discounts from the current lofty price levels is far more likely than any dramatic sticker increases.

$45,000 Mustangs could be a tough sell sooner than you might imagine.

It may not be well known, but Ford starting running incentives on V6 and GT Mustangs for the first time in Q4. Hard to believe its almost time for a refresh..

I don't think that Ford could get away with a higher MSRP, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't try. The Z06 IMO has the engineering and design to compete with $100k+ sports cars, not sure at what price point the Cobra is officially out of its league.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I could see them raising it a few hundred dollars. At 10,000 units, each $100.00 is a million dollars. So, why not raise it 500 bucks and make the company another 5 million. Otherwise, dr is right. The core enthusiast will not likely support a $50k Mustang.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
The balloon of interest for the Z06 burst shortly after the hefty manufacturers price increases sunk in. The price inflating nonsense about waiting lists and allocations dissapeared in short order.

The supporting dealers on the Corvette boards who claimed to have hundreds of buyers anxiously waiting for their turn to cough up sticker have changed their tune abrubtly. Get on the list was replaced with " 6 in stock, come and get em" overnight.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
raising msrp will do nothing for ford. ford only make about 36k on the no option gt500 coupe now. if ford wants to make more money per unit they need to raise dealer cost, not msrp.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
raising msrp will do nothing for ford. ford only make about 36k on the no option gt500 coupe now. if ford wants to make more money per unit they need to raise dealer cost, not msrp.

Yeah, make the dealers suffer not the customer :(

1FAFP90

Banned
drmustang said:
The balloon of interest for the Z06 burst shortly after the hefty manufacturers price increases

How much did the Z06 MSRP go up from introduction to now?

edit: I checked and saw about a 3k increase which is around 5%

Last edited:

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
ON D BIT said:

I think he meant to say that, BIT. The point is, Ford is in crisis. I just heard that they've mortgaged a bunch of properties in order to get short term running $$$. Has anyone else heard about this?

chuckstang

Established Member
ON D BIT said:

It is assumed that if msrp goes up so does dealer cost.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
eichisama said:
I think he meant to say that, BIT. The point is, Ford is in crisis. I just heard that they've mortgaged a bunch of properties in order to get short term running $$$. Has anyone else heard about this?

18 billion is secured loans. though i think they just moved that from 18 billion in unsecured loans.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
chuckstang said:
It is assumed that if msrp goes up so does dealer cost.

it does not always happen like that. i worked in retail before where the msrp of an item went down(to help move product) while the wholesale cost stayed the same. the owner was not too thrilled about that deal and decided to drop the line. :idea: bottom line, at 5k+ per vehicle the dealers are still making bank if the sell the gt500 at msrp.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Why is $5k so unheard of for a dealer to make on this car? You wanna know what dealers would make on a $10k focus? about $900, about 1200 if you want to include holdback. IF it was to sell for sticker.

Now, a GT500 has a sticker of $43,000 (strippy). 4 times the price of the Focus. whats $1200x4? oh yes $4800.

Everything is relative. MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE means what you should expect to pay for a vehicle. Years ago they started discounting cars to close to invoice so that they could move inactive inventories and it stuck. People dont want to pay sticker. Hell I don't want to pay sticker.

But i dont ask to pay what the grocer paid on meat i purchased yesterday. I also don't ask my pharmacist to pa invoice on my cold medicine I picked up an hour ago.

I also don't ask the gentleman that is building my house to give it to me for what he built it for.

SO WHY should we do this for automobiles? People wonder why the Auto dealers add markups on cars such as this. Well its because they dont make money on anything else. It is fault of thier own yes, but its also the public's fault as well, as they determine what people will and will not pay.

Go drive through the Michigan state fairgrounds outside of detroit, wave at all (probably thousands) of the 2006 Dodge Ram pickups that currently have $7k rebates on them and are just sitting there, collecting dust. Why are they there, because the market feels that the vehicles are not worth what they are asking at MSRP or way below. Once again, its all relative.

So, with that being said, some dealers are greedy. Some are dirtier than that 20year old whore that you hooked up with last week end for $10. HOWEVER MOST dealers (the small ones that make up the majority of dealerships) are honest and are happy with making the money that they are supposed to. Afterall they have to live with themselves and thier families too.

Next time your sick, ask your doctor to give you treatment for what it might cost him. He'll laugh.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
Next time your sick, ask your doctor to give you treatment for what it might cost him. He'll laugh.
You don't have to, your insurance company will do that for you.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Your insurance company doesnt buy your car for you, do they? Unless it gets totaled. Thanks for the smart comment tho, and completely disregarding every other correct point that I made.

And no, for your information, they dont bargain, they pay the claim. They may however have a deal worked out with your respective doctor depending on the size of his practice. Just like you would with a DRP if you owned a body shop.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
nice comments. the dealer does not have to do anything. just like a doctor taking a case for free or will not doing anything til he gets his price the dealers have the same freedom.

the dealer gets to choose what they sell their cars for. because once it gets to the dealer its not ford selling the car, its the dealer. will they sell it at invoice? will they sell it at msrp? will they ask more than msrp? who cares? i will not purchase till i get the price i want! if i dont get the price i want i go somewhere else. sometimes another dealer, sometimes used private party. whereever i go i dont give a damn.

5k profit on a car is alot. and its far easier to sell 20 focus than one 40k mustang. do i fault dealers who sell the gt500 above msrp? no! i just will not by a car any car/truck from them.:beer:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
K then i think everyone should stop bitching about someone making money in a free market economy.

If your complaining about spending a few extra dollars next year on a car that is ALREADY over $40k you obviously either a.) shouldnt be spending that amount of money on a car. b.) should be driving a hybrid that saves you this amount of money in about a month on fuel costs alone.

I'm sorry but all the people on here that have sand in thier vagina MONTHS after the one of the SICKEST cars ford has ever built comes out, is just really getting annoying.

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
Price

Dont be upset. Most people think cars cost to much money. I dont want to pay "retail" for anything, especially cars. Dealers are their own worst enemy. They (dealers) ending up cutting their own throats on the sales side. In the Kansas City metro area, we have some 15 dealers. None have gone out of business. Dont feel sorry for them, they make money on service. They makes alot of money on the used car side. You pay MSRP or anything close on a new car and try to trade it it 12 months later and they offer you 50% of what your paid for it. It is always buyer beware. Its only a car, huh? :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread