"Willing to pay NADA CLEAN TRADE-IN for Terminator

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
Must be a 1999 he's looking at. LS2 sounds like a guy who my have been smoked a few too many times by 03-04 Terminators.

If someone paid that for a 99 Cobra, then they're insane. I don't make stuff up. I've seen several cobras for around that price with around those miles. I probably still have the messages on this site to prove it. I've never been smoked by a cobra and never will be because I don't race my car against some random stranger who I encounter on the highway and I don't go to the track. I've heard several people, who owned both cars, say that they were pretty even. I've seen a race on youtube, where a stock GTO beats a stock Cobra. I agree that usually the cobra will be faster but it mainly depends on the driver.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
If someone paid that for a 99 Cobra, then they're insane. I don't make stuff up. I've seen several cobras for around that price with around those miles. I probably still have the messages on this site to prove it. I've never been smoked by a cobra and never will be because I don't race my car against some random stranger who I encounter on the highway and I don't go to the track. I've heard several people, who owned both cars, say that they were pretty even. I've seen a race on youtube, where a stock GTO beats a stock Cobra. I agree that usually the cobra will be faster but it mainly depends on the driver.

Oh, like this clean run where the Goat gets dragged?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFLn_nnVyyc

It's pretty clear the Cobra owns the GTO. You can tell the Cobra is putting down more power

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
They're very comparable in performance specs. Most of the time, the cobra wins due to putting down more power, but I've seen and heard where the goat wins as well. A lot of it has to do with the driver. Goats are also known to have lots of suspension problems which is mainly due to when they shipped them over from Australia They tightened them down too tight and messed the bushings and springs up so they don't put the power down as well. I'm not saying the goat is a great car, it's just a rebadged Holden Monaro. I bought mine because I got it for cheap. If I loved it, I probably wouldn't be looking to get rid of it. But I've driven a stock cobra once and was not impressed. Didn't feel any faster than my car. Which is what I base car purchases on. The fun factor, not 1/4 mile times or youtube roll races. That's why I want a modded cobra, a stock cobra wouldn't be much more fun than my Goat. You see what happens when you don't call people names? You can actually have a civilized discussion.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
This thread got interesting.

Not only did we find out Cobra's are worth 25K+ and the owners laugh at those offers, but, GTO's are just as good overall compared to an 03/04 Cobra.

Where is Ju1ced when we need him. We need more 12.4 BONE STOCK runs of his LS2 GTO. :shrug:

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
This thread got interesting.

Not only did we find out Cobra's are worth 25K+ and the owners laugh at those offers, but, GTO's are just as good overall compared to an 03/04 Cobra.

Where is Ju1ced when we need him. We need more 12.4 BONE STOCK runs of his LS2 GTO. :shrug:

▶ 0:11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1skzdYe68

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-mGcDE2U8

There are many threads on this subject so no reason to beat a dead horse and discuss it again. The owners you speak of both had Competition Orange cars which tend to bring a lot more than your average cobra due to the high demand and low supply of that color.

Last edited:

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
In most cases yes but SB,MC and CO are exceptions.

CO is probably the biggest exception. People want a lot for those. I want a Vert because I enjoy being able to put the top down. I had a 96 Cobra, which was a piece of junk, but I enjoyed it a lot due to the fact it was a convertible. I'm just worried about safety in a convertible due to the added rollover concerns and also if they have rigidity issues due to being a convertible.

bigblock390

bigblock390
Established Member
Just look at what has happened to the prices of Fox bodies...Clean, low mileage fox bodies are demanding premium prices. Go to NADA.com and search a 1992 mustang gt convertible....NADA shows clean retail value of $10,600....original MSRP for that car was just over $20k! These cars are ancient now compared to the 03/04 terminators. If the Terminators are holding their current values in the $18k-$25k and beyond range right now, just think what they will be in another 10 years. It seems the fox bodies have really jumped the last year or two, since that 87-93 style hit the "antique" 25 year old classification with insurance companies. Fox bodies are extremely sought after, which brings up prices. Private sellers ask premium prices, and everyone follows suit...bringing the prices higher. Terminators are doing the same, but they will likely climb a bit higher as they become harder to find like the fox bodies. I think the OP can probably find a car close in his range, but will have to do some serious searching. This being an enthusiast site, may not be the best place, since most of us terminator owners want premium price for our cars...some of us may be willing to let them go for less in a "must sell" situation. There are dealers who dont know what a "Terminator" is, and just look at NADA and price accordingly, many selling for less thinking the age of the car will not allow it to get decent financing for a buyer. I have searched autotrader and found excellent deals on 03/04 cobra's, but always had to drive hundreds of miles to get that deal. I also know that when you do find that car that fits exactly what you want, you better be prepared to buy it immediately...I have missed a few that got away, then realized I had to be ready to pull the trigger...

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
Just look at what has happened to the prices of Fox bodies...Clean, low mileage fox bodies are demanding premium prices. Go to NADA.com and search a 1992 mustang gt convertible....NADA shows clean retail value of $10,600....original MSRP for that car was just over $20k! These cars are ancient now compared to the 03/04 terminators. If the Terminators are holding their current values in the $18k-$25k and beyond range right now, just think what they will be in another 10 years. It seems the fox bodies have really jumped the last year or two, since that 87-93 style hit the "antique" 25 year old classification with insurance companies. Fox bodies are extremely sought after, which brings up prices. Private sellers ask premium prices, and everyone follows suit...bringing the prices higher. Terminators are doing the same, but they will likely climb a bit higher as they become harder to find like the fox bodies. I think the OP can probably find a car close in his range, but will have to do some serious searching. This being an enthusiast site, may not be the best place, since most of us terminator owners want premium price for our cars...some of us may be willing to let them go for less in a "must sell" situation. There are dealers who dont know what a "Terminator" is, and just look at NADA and price accordingly, many selling for less thinking the age of the car will not allow it to get decent financing for a buyer. I have searched autotrader and found excellent deals on 03/04 cobra's, but always had to drive hundreds of miles to get that deal. I also know that when you do find that car that fits exactly what you want, you better be prepared to buy it immediately...I have missed a few that got away, then realized I had to be ready to pull the trigger...

I agree 100% with what you said. Thank you for the nice, courteous, informative response.

im4darush

Established Member
So much foolishness in this thread! Like the ode to the ignorant.

Let me set some of you youngsters straight. If you pay attention, you may learn a thing or two. I am 42 and back in 03 I bought a new zinc yellow right off the showroom floor. So I know what they were factory stock. Fast forward to 07.....we all know dealers were practically giving away the GTO. I picked up an 06 brand new for 26K. Drove it exactly 2000 miles and it had to go. This car made me feel nothing! About 2 years ago I bought an 11' GT500. These are without a doubt better built and more comfortable than the 03-04. I daily drove mine and it was so easy to drive, I would forget that it was a gt500. Better interior, better build quality, better chassis, better car! With all that said, it still did not feel the same as the 03-04. Some of you young guys in here will never really understand this. All you care about is nada values, prices and the amount of money your bank will loan you on a particular car. So you come in here and start laying out your reasoning for why these cars are not worth the money. What you are missing young lads is that a car and it's value is not only determined by it's numbers and nada values, but also from what it makes you feel when you put your ass in the seat and drive it. It is also determined by the impact that it has made to the industry as a whole. Do any of you understand what this car represented back in 2003?? Are you happy that the auto makers are now producing cars with power levels never seen before? Hellcat, GT500, SRT, Z28, ZL1! The 2003-2004 cobra was the driving force behind everything that has happened to date in this segment. You young guys may not know this as you were still playing with LEGO back then, but in 2003 this car was a game changer and everyone knew it! More importantly, they still know it. It was, and always will be a piece of automotive history. Those that understand this will never care about nada, kbb or what the banks are willing to give you. If you dont have the cash, its probably not the car for you. This is a driver's car. It makes you feel things that no other car does! Rewind back to the fox and look at the following those cars have. Is it because of the great chasis, build quality and interior? I think not! It is because of what the car made you feel. My car has a whipple on it making 600rwhp with all supporting mods so no it is not stock. But there is no other car out there that I have driven that makes you 'FEEL' (I repeat for those that did not get it the first few times) like it!!

Period, end of story! Those that can not appreciate this, can buy a 5.0 and enjoy their NAV and SYNC. Us old guys who were around in 03 and understood what was taking place, and what a raw driver's car is like will glady keep our cobras. And btw...there are plenty of us out there who understand all this. Thats why values are where they are.

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
I talked to a dealership in Houston not too long ago concerning a kenne bell vert. It had 30k miles on it and they wanted $19k for it. I passed on it at the time due to the engine being built and not wanting to have to retune it. It was tuned on 93 which I don't have in my area. Also, didn't want to fly down to Houston for some reason. Deals like these come along more often than people think. You just have to be willing to travel or live in a area with a lot of terminators.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
▶ 0:11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1skzdYe68

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-mGcDE2U8

Also, 12.4 is a hero run. What matters are the average times. The GTO also has a much nicer interior, better gas mileage and cheaper to insure and about $5-10k less to buy used now, and makes comparable horsepower and weighs only 60 pounds more. So yes, I would think that they are comparable cars stock vs stock. I never said the GTO was better. I just said they are comparable, which they are. Also, there have been two cars, in my area, that have been advertised, on and off for the past two years for around $25k with around 15k miles and no one has bought them yet. The owners you speak of both had Competition Orange cars which tend to bring a lot more than your average cobra due to the high demand and low supply of that color.

Gas mileage!!?? You are in the wrong forum lol. :D
And I love the mustangs interior, ESPECIALLY the Cobra seats. No quality issues there. The goat might be made of kangaroo hide (see what I did there?) but it ain't no Cadillac neither. It's no better. That's a pretty weak comeback, but what do you expect from a debate of the almighty Terminator vs a GTO? :coolman:
Oh, and spinnin' ain't winnin' everyone knows a pullied cobra would own a stock GTO

Last edited:

2005LS2Goat

Established Member

Let me set some of you youngsters straight. If you pay attention, you may learn a thing or two. I am 42 and back in 03 I bought a new zinc yellow right off the showroom floor. So I know what they were factory stock. Fast forward to 07.....we all know dealers were practically giving away the GTO. I picked up an 06 brand new for 26K. Drove it exactly 2000 miles and it had to go. This car made me feel nothing! About 2 years ago I bought an 11' GT500. These are without a doubt better built and more comfortable than the 03-04. I daily drove mine and it was so easy to drive, I would forget that it was a gt500. Better interior, better build quality, better chassis, better car! With all that said, it still did not feel the same as the 03-04. Some of you young guys in here will never really understand this. All you care about is nada values, prices and the amount of money your bank will loan you on a particular car. So you come in here and start laying out your reasoning for why these cars are not worth the money. What you are missing young lads is that a car and it's value is not only determined by it's numbers and nada values, but also from what it makes you feel when you put your ass in the seat and drive it. It is also determined by the impact that it has made to the industry as a whole. Do any of you understand what this car represented back in 2003?? Are you happy that the auto makers are now producing cars with power levels never seen before? Hellcat, GT500, SRT, Z28, ZL1! The 2003-2004 cobra was the driving force behind everything that has happened to date in this segment. You young guys may not know this as you were still playing with LEGO back then, but in 2003 this car was a game changer and everyone knew it! More importantly, they still know it. It was, and always will be a piece of automotive history. Those that understand this will never care about nada, kbb or what the banks are willing to give you. If you dont have the cash, its probably not the car for you. This is a driver's car. It makes you feel things that no other car does! Rewind back to the fox and look at the following those cars have. Is it because of the great chasis, build quality and interior? I think not! It is because of what the car made you feel. My car has a whipple on it making 600rwhp with all supporting mods so no it is not stock. But there is no other car out there that I have driven that makes you 'FEEL' (I repeat for those that did not get it the first few times) like it!!

Period, end of story! Those that can not appreciate this, can buy a 5.0 and enjoy their NAV and SYNC. Us old guys who were around in 03 and understood what was taking place, and what a raw driver's car is like will glady keep our cobras. And btw...there are plenty of us out there who understand all this. Thats why values are where they are.

I'm just looking for a good deal. I've passed up so many good deals due to not wanting to travel that it's now a matter of principle. Sure I can go pay $25k for a car right now, but that would suck since I've seen so many go for a lot less than that. I was in Junior High or High School at the time these cars came out so yes I would have appreciated them if I knew about them. Back then I was smarter than I am now and could care less about fast cars. I drove a stock cobra with 17K miles and felt nothing as well. It didn't feel fast and I could barely hear the supercharger whine. Most of the cars I've driven had a 2.76 upper and I could definitely feel the car pull well down low. Nothing spectacular but felt pretty peppy. The fastest car I've ever driven probably was a twin turbo GTO. For some reason it felt really fast. Faster than the 2011 GT500 and 2013 zl1 and 2008 z06 I've driven. But wouldn't want a tt gto because who knows how long it will hold together even on low boost?

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
Gas mileage!!?? You are in the wrong forum lol. :D
And I love the mustangs interior, ESPECIALLY the Cobra seats. No quality issues there. The goat might be made of kangaroo hide (see what I did there?) but it ain't no Cadillac neither. It's no better. That's a pretty weak comeback, but what do you expect from a debate of the almighty Terminator vs a GTO? :coolman:

First I never said the GTO was a better car. I said it was Comparable. About the same price when new, similar horsepower, better quality interior, etc. I do agree about the seats though, I like the cobra seats better, especially the anniversary seats. But the dash, doors, etc are much better quality. I hadn't been in a cobra for a while before taking a drive in a forum members 2.3 L Whippled cobra and was severely disappointed in the interior. I'm sure if I had one, I would get used to it but it there was an obvious difference. Gas mileage also does matter if you daily drive your car like I do. If I buy a terminator I'm probably going to drive it a lot due to it being an awesome car and a lot better than my other daily driver, so yes gas mileage does matter some.

bigblock390

bigblock390
Established Member

^^^Great post! I am also the same age as you...I can remember growing up driving the 80's and 90's mustangs in my teens and 20's, and having a blast modding them up, tinkering on them, selling them and buying another one a little nicer and faster each time! Worked my way up the years to newer and nicer and fancier mustangs...I've had over 20 different mustangs from a 68 big block coupe to a GT500. 5 months ago, I found my current mustang, a 2003 bone stock 17k mile Cobra vert in pristine shape. Have not touched the car yet as far as modding goes...I am enjoying the heck out of it just driving it the way it is. Eventually, the bug will get to me, and I will begin to add some bolt ons, and go from there. I enjoy driving the newer GT 5.0's, and the GT 500's and such...they drive and look amazing...but there is just something about the 03/04 cobra's that make me never want to get rid of it. Kind of like the old fox bodies were...they werent the fastest or best looking, but put a smile on my face everytime I drive one. I think many people like me who owned one, wishes they still had one, or could find one again. Thats the main reason probably wont sell my Cobra, because I know I will regret getting rid of it. My son is 9 years old and is a car freak...he loves any and all of the exotic supercars around...but his favorite is the older mustangs like 67-68 fastbacks and 69-70 machs and bosses. Even though they arent as fast and fancy as the $1million$$ supercars, I love that he appreciates the history of the older cars and what they were then and are today. I drive past some of the high schools in my area, and look in the student parking lots to see what the kids are driving now days....honda's, toyotas, kia's...etc. Really a shame, because back in my day, we all had mustangs, camaros, old trucks, project cars...hot rods..etc. Today, very few kids are picking up the hobby like it used to be, where you would buy an older car, fix it up and drive it, make it your own. I am proud that my son says he wants an old mustang or old 60's f100 for his 1st vehicle. I laugh because every time he sees a Prius or similar car, he hates on it, and just cant stand anything like that...lol.

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
The goat might be made of kangaroo hide (see what I did there?)

I'm sure kangaroo hide is pretty expensive. GM is too tight to fix faulty ignition switches, so do you honestly think they would spend the extra money on kangaroo seats? I for one, highly doubt it. :burn:

Last edited:

Rob_Stylez

Established Member

:bowdown:

Well said, I was 21 when I first read about the 03 Cobra in Car and Driver Magazine and I was in love. There was nothing out there that could compare to this car, even tho the changes to the exterior were subtle it was enough to satisfy just about any future owner. Its funny how people tend to forget what this car meant to the Muscle 'American Made' cars, hell it Terminated the Camaro for how ever many years it was out of production. The Terminator is like the pushrod 5.0's, they kept this thing going (Magazines I read said that performance was dead until 87 when Ford brought out the 5.0 EFI HO), it laid out a foundation for the future, the GT500, the Boss, Camaros, Challengers, Charger's, CTS-V's, ZR1's (insert supercharged production cars here), etc.

The old Fox Body 5.0's command a premium because people looking to purchase one understand what they are, Terminators will do the same. I love my car, it doesnt have the amenities that the newer cars have, its not as comfortable, its not as fast as a GT500, but its a TERMINATOR.

And 2005LS2 guy, your pretty funny, IMO the 'GTO' cars were and are a horrible created vehicle with a solid engine that should have never been named GTO, the look/styling of those cars belong right behind the Pontiac Aztec's and trust me, when I first heard GM was bringing the GTO I was excited... until I saw the car lol. GM forgets what the name of their cars meant, I still dont understand what the halo Camaro is, is it the Z28 or the ZL1 or the SS. And Im not talking about current Camaros with those badges Im talking about since the Camaro's introduction... throw the RS name in there too. You and the OP are looking for the right 'deal' because you may not fully understand or appreciate what these cars were/are. Not saying a $40k Cobra makes sense but if the dealership/owner knows the market value of these cars they will charge you for it and most on here would be willing to pay $20-30 for a clean Cobra.

Oh and if you think that Chevy/GM only care about making money, they did a piss poor job at that too, remember when Uncle Sam owned the company... thank you Pontiac Aztec lol

(Shouldn't this thread be in Smackdown?)

Last edited:

2005LS2Goat

Established Member
:bowdown:

Well said, I was 21 when I first read about the 03 Cobra in Car and Driver Magazine and I was in love. There was nothing out there that could compare to this car, even tho the changes to the exterior were subtle it was enough to satisfy just about any future owner. Its funny how people tend to forget what this car meant to the Muscle 'American Made' cars, hell it Terminated the Camaro for how ever many years it was out of production. The Terminator is like the pushrod 5.0's, they kept this thing going (Magazines I read said that performance was dead until 87 when Ford brought out the 5.0 EFI HO), it laid out a foundation for the future, the GT500, the Boss, Camaros, Challengers, Charger's, CTS-V's, ZR1's (insert supercharged production cars here), etc.

The old Fox Body 5.0's command a premium because people looking to purchase one understand what they are, Terminators will do the same. I love my car, it doesnt have the amenities that the newer cars have, its not as comfortable, its not as fast as a GT500, but its a TERMINATOR.

And 2005LS2 guy, your pretty funny, IMO the 'GTO' cars were and are a horrible created vehicle with a solid engine that should have never been named GTO, the look/styling of those cars belong right behind the Pontiac Aztec's and trust me, when I first heard GM was bringing the GTO I was excited... until I saw the car lol. GM forgets what the name of their cars meant, I still dont understand what the halo Camaro is, is it the Z28 or the ZL1 or the SS. And Im not talking about current Camaros with those badges Im talking about since the Camaro's introduction... throw the RS name in there too. You and the OP are looking for the right 'deal' because you may not fully understand or appreciate what these cars were/are. Not saying a $40k Cobra makes sense but if the dealership/owner knows the market value of these cars they will charge you for it and most on here would be willing to pay $20-30 for a clean Cobra.

Oh and if you think that Chevy/GM only care about making money, they did a piss poor job at that too, remember when Uncle Sam owned the company... thank you Pontiac Aztec lol

(Shouldn't this thread be in Smackdown?)

Smackdown? why? Only thing on here has been a lot of unsubstantiated opinions and history lessons. I can care less about what the cobra did or didn't do for the auto industry. I'm not going to overpay for it because of nostalgia and history. And yes, all GM cares about is making money. Because they suck at that is irrelevant. I've contacted a dealer today, which has a cobra for what people on here would consider a "steal." For some reason it has been sitting on the market for about half a year. And this is more of a specialty dealership. I've listed the facts on how GTO's and Cobras are comparable cars, such as comparable HP, price, interior, gas mileage, cost, cost of ownership, but the only thing biased cobra owners have given are their subjective opinions and nostalgic mutterings. None of you replying back to me have a car you're going to sell or are looking to buy a cobra for cheap like the OP does. Just a bunch of fanboys who think their car is made of gold and forget to realize that it's just a car too that breaks down and costs money to operate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread