Windham Weaponry AR15's

Jebadias

Established Member
i'll punch this out into three parts:

1 - the Windham "carbon" rifles are complete and total shit! Bushmaster and a few others make the exact same product and nothing has changed... they're junk.

if you plan to buy it, stuff it under the bed and rarely, if ever, shoot it then i guess it'll do. before the split, when it was Bushmaster from Maine, we sent back well over a dozen of them for function issues. that's AFTER we repaired several trying to keep them running for a few guys. eventually the boss got tired of paying me to fix them and decided to just start shipping them back...

two weeks ago one of my customers brought a Windham carbon in that wouldn't hold zero. a loose barrel nut on a brand new gun, go figure :shrug:

just so we're clear, the carbon things aren't produced in Windham Main either. they come from Arizona... strangely, the same state that the crappy Bushy guns came from. (some current Bushmaster carbon rifles i've seen recently say N.Y.).

2 - there **may** be truth in the bolt carrier and small components being constructed from the same material as your Colt. this doesn't instantly transfer to both of them being the same quality.

the exact spec and grade of each metal used is an unknown for most Bushmaster parts. the spec on the heat treat of these components is also largely unknown. ... type of finish, method used to apply and quality of workmanship aren't exact.

the quality and construction of the BOLT itself are NOT the same. the testing process is NOT the same. the spring, insert and steel used for the extractor are NOT the same.

so, while the firing pin and associated retaining pin MAY be the same it doesn't translate into the quality of the two being equal.

3 - Windham guns are not "MUCH" cheaper than Bushmaster branded products, new and old.

i'm far from a Colt fan and i don't really have a lot of issues with Windham or Bushmaster for the occasional "recreational" shooter. my main issue with both of them is a quality for money invested thing.

the carbon guns are shit no matter who's name is on them. i don't care what internet mall ninja review anyone digs up contradicting my view... when you do what i do, repair the guns i do and ACTUALLY care about the end user like i do you wouldn't want anything to do with the carbon guns.

M&P sport can be had for about $655.00

I am somewhat confused on your post. Are you saying Windham 'carbon' rifles have issues or all Windham rifles?

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Why not just build your own? Cheaper and better parts.

Anything you assemble for that price is going to be a heaping pile of garbage. Can you assemble an AR on the cheap? yes, but it actually costs more money to assemble an AR with quality parts than it does to buy one with the same parts. Not to mention the added $100 for some decent tools to do it. The tools you use for assembling an AR aren't common wrenches everybody has laying around.

It's always better to buy already assembled, than to do it yourself. When you get a bad part YOU are the customer service and YOU get to diagnose this problem. Most people don't have the experience to diagnose issues so they spend even more money swapping parts or they take it to a gunsmith who charges $100 an hour to diag and fix you pile of parts. Before you know it your $600 econo build has doubled in price. With a manufacturer IF you have a problem (which is highly unlikely from a quality rifle) they email you a shipping label and you drop it off. A couple weeks later your rifle is delivered back to you, free of charge, fixed.

HandBanana

Established Member
Armedsuspect knows what he's talking about. All of those carbon guns are garbage. The only non aluminum upper or lower I've seen that wasn't a complete and utter piece of shit was the old Calvary arms. The bushmaster, windhams, plum crazy, NFA's are all heaping piles of shit.

If you want an AR to say you have an AR and are to cheap to buy a decent rifle then buy the M&P sport. They miss a critical component to the reliability of the AR platform (the dust cover) but overall they are a halfway decent rifle. The majority of people on this site being car owners that dump money into something that depreciates I'm sure can afford to spend a grand for a decent AR that will only go up in value.

And really, 4 pmags make it a deal? $40 worth of mags?

While I agree the dust cover is a good component to have, you are completely wrong in your opinion on the Sport and people with a lot more credentials than you have praised that gun for being a great entry level weapon for someone who doesn't want to blow over a grand on an AR.

Skip the windham and get an M&P.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
While I agree the dust cover is a good component to have, you are completely wrong in your opinion on the Sport and people with a lot more credentials than you have praised that gun for being a great entry level weapon for someone who doesn't want to blow over a grand on an AR.

Skip the windham and get an M&P.

Are you an idiot? I suggested the guy buy one if he was too cheap to buy a better rifle.

How do you know what my credentials are?

jon_7687

Established Member
I had the chance to shoot a Windham a few months back. Seemed like a decent middle of the road AR. Fit and finish were good and the rifle shot just fine. We shot about 500 rounds without cleaning or lubing it, and didnt have any malfunctions.

The staking on the castle nut and bolt carrier left a little to be desired, but its not the worst I've seen. I didnt look at the bolt to see if its MP tested.

I'd check out spikes tactical and palmetto state armory also. Both companies have reasonably priced rifles.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
500 rounds is not testament to reliability, some have failed with less than that but 500 rounds is nothing. A lot of two day carbine courses will run 3-4k rounds through a gun with no cleaning. Do that and let me know how it works out with any cheap AR.

Mystic03

Established Member
500 rounds is not testament to reliability, some have failed with less than that but 500 rounds is nothing. A lot of two day carbine courses will run 3-4k rounds through a gun with no cleaning. Do that and let me know how it works out with any cheap AR.

supply the rounds ill gladly do it! :beer:

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
I am somewhat confused on your post. Are you saying Windham 'carbon' rifles have issues or all Windham rifles?

the "carbon" things suck.

the regular Windham rifles are solidly in the acceptable hobby rifle category. perfectly fine for the occasional plinker and weekend paper hunter.

a savvy shopper can pick up either a comparable rifle for less or a better rifle for the same money.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If you want an AR to say you have an AR and are to cheap to buy a decent rifle then buy the M&P sport.
Are you an idiot? I suggested the guy buy one if he was too cheap to buy a better rifle.?
In the first quote, it makes it sound like a m&p isnt a decent rifle. With good customer service and a quality company, that is a decent ar15 to me.

OP didnt say what he will use it for. If it's for target shooting and light hunting, that rifle is more than enough to get the job done. He doesnt need forward assist and a dust cover for that. Most dont since our lives dont rely on it's reliability like our fellow troops/officers who serve. He can spend the left over money from buying the > $700 M&p 15 and buy ammo or start a fund for a good optic.

I dont think everyone needs to spend over 1k on a colt, daniel defense, KAC or other higher shelf rifles.

Here's a good read on the smith and wesson
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ger/-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
His point is most on here blow through money on their cars which unless your part of a small minority and are sponsored and get paid to race all your vehicle will ever be is a money pit and will only serve as a way to give self entertainment.

So the majority of us being lucky enough to enjoy a hobby as expensive as motorsports with disposable income why would you then cheap out on something that may in fact be needed to save your life? Most people today will say "I live in America I'll never need to use my rifle like that" ..... I guess a lot of you were never boy scouts. And let's be real here if 3 or 400 dollars more is to rich for your blood wait until you have to feed that LOWER tiered AR.
Unlike your car firearms in general (when market prices arent inflated like they were for a while) are pretty sound INVESTMENTS.

To each their own I guess... in fact if more people chose the lower quality ARs the better as there will be less higher end guns like mine to be had.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I agree with your entire post. However, i still stand by what i said. If he did mean exactly that, a better explanation would of been better than asking a fellow member on here if he is an idiot.

Lets recommend a high quality ak instead of an ar15 variant since we are talking reliability now:dancenana:

Then we can talk about over penetration from either .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 especially in a house.

We can go on and on.

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Anything you assemble for that price is going to be a heaping pile of garbage. Can you assemble an AR on the cheap? yes, but it actually costs more money to assemble an AR with quality parts than it does to buy one with the same parts. Not to mention the added $100 for some decent tools to do it. The tools you use for assembling an AR aren't common wrenches everybody has laying around.

It's always better to buy already assembled, than to do it yourself. When you get a bad part YOU are the customer service and YOU get to diagnose this problem. Most people don't have the experience to diagnose issues so they spend even more money swapping parts or they take it to a gunsmith who charges $100 an hour to diag and fix you pile of parts. Before you know it your $600 econo build has doubled in price. With a manufacturer IF you have a problem (which is highly unlikely from a quality rifle) they email you a shipping label and you drop it off. A couple weeks later your rifle is delivered back to you, free of charge, fixed.

That doesn't make sense. If you buy the parts you're not paying for the labor so you come out ahead. The only specialty tool you need for a flat top build is the wrench. There's no need to exaggerate how hard it is to build one. The hardest part is lining up the gas block which a lot of barrels come with already installed. A lower is just as easy. It's real straight forward. I could assemble a better quality one for less than $700.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I didnt want to learn on my first AR. i rather pay someone who knows what they are doing and have it come with a warranty than try to do it myself. I paid about $200 for the labor. Maybe OP has different reasons.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
That doesn't make sense. If you buy the parts you're not paying for the labor so you come out ahead. The only specialty tool you need for a flat top build is the wrench. There's no need to exaggerate how hard it is to build one. The hardest part is lining up the gas block which a lot of barrels come with already installed. A lower is just as easy. It's real straight forward. I could assemble a better quality one for less than $700.

I guess it doesn't take labor to package all those separate components? They wave their wands and do it? It doesn't take labor to out those gas blocks on either huh?

With that mentality why don't you call ford and get a price on building a GT500 part by part rather than buying whole... It's gotta be cheaper because there's no labor right?

To build the same thing will cost you more. If you build a AR for under $700 it's going to be a piece of crap, a halfway decent upper is $600 for just a plain jane M4. I'd love to hear your part breakdown of this "quality" AR build for under $700, I bet there isn't a single part on the list worth owning.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess it doesn't take labor to package all those separate components? They wave their wands and do it? It doesn't take labor to out those gas blocks on either huh?

With that mentality why don't you call ford and get a price on building a GT500 part by part rather than buying whole... It's gotta be cheaper because there's no labor right?

To build the same thing will cost you more. If you build a AR for under $700 it's going to be a piece of crap, a halfway decent upper is $600 for just a plain jane M4. I'd love to hear your part breakdown of this "quality" AR build for under $700, I bet there isn't a single part on the list worth owning.

What AR do you suggest? Serious question

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

For the money Stag. Their parent company CMT makes some of the best AR components out there. You can get a model 1 or model 2 for about $700-725 after shipping.

For a little bit more money BCM, LMT, and Daniel defense can be had as well.

If you want a fun range toy and don't need a rifle to defend yourself, M&P 15-22. Under $400 and the ammo is cheap too. Controls are exactly like the AR15.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
//snip//

agreed.

quality for quality, building your own AR will almost NEVER be "cheaper" than buying one. a NEW built or bought AR for under $700 isn't much of an AR... seriously.

despite what manufacturers tell you and what we learn from internet mall ninjas, there really are differences in the quality of parts used on AR rifles. i get a kick out of all the "mil-spec" advertising.

case in point:
the following guy "manufacturers" his own AR-15's. he looked me in the eye and explained how his guns were better than Colt, Daniel Defense, LWRC and all of the other "over priced" stuff on the market.

i was informed that his two stage trigger was better than anything Geissele has ever made. he's never used, installed or even handled a gun with a Geissele in it but he knows everything about them... including the FACT that his triggers are better.

he regaled me with his expertise in avoiding a Patent Infringement lawsuit on his custom produced rail system. he's (someone else is making it) currently copying the YHM rail and added a MI style front end... now he's magically insulated from any wrong doing.

and how could i forget the racist remarks directed at my customers and anyone who would pay for the "over priced shit" made by Lancer, Geissele, Daniel & Troy (when asked what rails i install and sell most, that's the list i gave him). not only are my customers too ignorant to make good decisions but i'm also screwing them and myself by not selling UTG rails!!! he is a UTG "master dealer" and would be happy to act as a middle man / supplier for me if i needed to get them into my store. (.... hahahahahahahaha get tha **** outa here!)

this guy was serious and believed every last word of what he was saying. he uses the cheapest, shit parts he can find and can't tell you the spec on any of the parts and components used (barrel material, testing procedures, grade of aluminum, chamber spec, etc.). he knew exactly DICK about his own stuff and yet it's better than anything else on the market... for less money.

i was on my best behavior and didn't want to make waves or cause the host problems, this guy got a pass.

Georgia Gun Dealer & Custom AR 15 Manufacturer, Rifles, Pistols & Ammo

racist, bigoted, ignorant fat ****!!!

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member

For the money Stag. Their parent company CMT makes some of the best AR components out there. You can get a model 1 or model 2 for about $700-725 after shipping.

For a little bit more money BCM, LMT, and Daniel defense can be had as well.

If you want a fun range toy and don't need a rifle to defend yourself, M&P 15-22. Under $400 and the ammo is cheap too. Controls are exactly like the AR15.

i find it interesting that BMX and i would both throw Stag out there as a solid deal on a quality product. honestly great rifles.

in several years of selling and shooting Stag products, i've had exactly ONE (1) issues... and that was last week. turns out a bolt was slightly out of spec and would get wedged in the carrier when the rifle chambered a round. customer brought his rifle in for me to look at. when i figured out what it was i called Stag, i was on the phone for not more than 5 minutes and had a NEW bolt in the mail, it arrived today.

(although we're currently paying more than $740 for the Model 1 and 2 rifles)

BA66FF9B-4617-4AD2-81FF-8BF3BDA711B5_zps3e54enaw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread