Windham Weaponry AR15's

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
i find it interesting that BMX and i would both throw Stag out there as a solid deal on a quality product. (although we're currently paying more than $740 for the Model 1 and 2 rifles)

BA66FF9B-4617-4AD2-81FF-8BF3BDA711B5_zps3e54enaw.jpg

It must be because both of you know nothing about guns let alone ar's DUH!

:lol1:

Reminds me of the psa thread... a lot of the same posters in here.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
UTG... LOL... I wonder if he'll let me trade in one of my URX 3.1's for one of those excellent rails?

BTW I'm currently putting together a 6x45 upper and I'm trying to do it without spending a grand. I got a deal on the barrel ($300 with dies) which is cheap for a quality SS barrel alone let alone $60 worth of dies. Any way I slice it, getting quality parts but trying to cut some corners as this will just be a hunting rifle and don't need any rails or anything, I'm going to be at or over $650 total in this upper alone. That's using a BCM or Saber blemished upper receiver, Troy low profile gas block (whopping $35), Stag BCG, and a cheapo DPMS free float tube.

I'm still waiting for the AR professor to teach me how to get quality parts on the cheap:shrug:

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
UTG... LOL... I wonder if he'll let me trade in one of my URX 3.1's for one of those excellent rails?

BTW I'm currently putting together a 6x45 upper and I'm trying to do it without spending a grand. I got a deal on the barrel ($300 with dies) which is cheap for a quality SS barrel alone let alone $60 worth of dies. Any way I slice it, getting quality parts but trying to cut some corners as this will just be a hunting rifle and don't need any rails or anything, I'm going to be at or over $650 total in this upper alone. That's using a BCM or Saber blemished upper receiver, Troy low profile gas block (whopping $35), Stag BCG, and a cheapo DPMS free float tube.

I'm still waiting for the AR professor to teach me how to get quality parts on the cheap:shrug:

haha, i have a gas block i had to cut off of a del-ton i would sell you for like $10... if you can weld it back together it'll be fine.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I guess it doesn't take labor to package all those separate components? They wave their wands and do it? It doesn't take labor to out those gas blocks on either huh?

With that mentality why don't you call ford and get a price on building a GT500 part by part rather than buying whole... It's gotta be cheaper because there's no labor right?

To build the same thing will cost you more. If you build a AR for under $700 it's going to be a piece of crap, a halfway decent upper is $600 for just a plain jane M4. I'd love to hear your part breakdown of this "quality" AR build for under $700, I bet there isn't a single part on the list worth owning.

I priced a parts list in a few minutes and it came to about $670. This included a Bergara barrel, A3 upper, M-16 BCG, and an assembled Magpul carbine lower. If you wanted to just do an A2 lower (which I like for target guns) it'd be cheaper. If you assemble your own lower it might be cheaper still. LPK with Magpul grip is about $40, stripped lower is about $50, and whatever the Magpul furniture is. I think the MOE is $55. Buffer assembly is pocket change too.

I looked for Windham's prices and all seem to be at least a grand. The cheapest AR I have cost about $750 for the upper and something like $160 for the lower. This one has a Rainer match barrel, VTAC tube, and ACE stock. Obviously it could've been done cheaper but I didn't mind paying an arm and half a leg for the barrel, I've also always liked float tubes better. I haven't seen a match grade AR for under $1,200. The cheapest similar weapon by Windham is $1,300. Maybe if you're building a plain AR the benefit to building is negligible, but you really pay for the "mystique" when it comes to match grade builds.

Last edited:

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
I priced a parts list in a few minutes and it came to about $670. This included a Bergara barrel, A3 upper, M-16 BCG, and an assembled Magpul carbine lower. If you wanted to just do an A2 lower (which I like for target guns) it'd be cheaper. If you assemble your own lower it might be cheaper still. LPK with Magpul grip is about $40, stripped lower is about $50, and whatever the Magpul furniture is. I think the MOE is $55. Buffer assembly is pocket change too.

I looked for Windham's prices and all seem to be at least a grand.

so a 4140 nitride barrel...
who's BCG?
you pick a charging handle, gas tube, gas block, delta ring, barrel nut?
A2 fsb?
got a rear sight?

what brand is the MagPul carbine lower?
who's LPK with MagPul grip is $40?
and a $50 stripped lower... really?

edit: and i can retail a Windham A3 with removable carry handle for just over $800....

edit 2: and i can roll out Core 15, Diamond Back and DS Arms rifles for about $700 retail. while not super great rifles i would much rather have one of these than some shit cobbled together in an attempt to be the king of cheap ****ers.

Last edited:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Bergara barrels are pure SHIT. Look at all the CVA's that have blown up... Who's A3 upper? Another piece of crap?... M16 BCG... All that means is it has a little more material in the back, what brand? What specs? And don't say 'milspec'...

A $40 parts kit is going to be pure garbage as well as a $50 lower. If you're going to go that cheap why not get the complete plastic lower for $100?

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I'd love to hear your part breakdown of this "quality" AR build for under $700, I bet there isn't a single part on the list worth owning.

I looked for Windham's prices and all seem to be at least a grand.

Pay attention to the part in bold. A 40 dollar parts kit? Really? bwahahahaha

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
so a 4140 nitride barrel...
who's BCG?
you pick a charging handle, gas tube, gas block, delta ring, barrel nut?
A2 fsb?
got a rear sight?

what brand is the MagPul carbine lower?
who's LPK with MagPul grip is $40?
and a $50 stripped lower... really?

edit: and i can retail a Windham A3 with removable carry handle for just over $800....

Yes. Most people put optics on an A3 so I didn't research good irons. Most of Windham's with A3 uppers have neither sight nor optic.

PSA

Those prices are what I paid in December when I built my last one. The PTAC LPK is $44 so I was off by $4.00. I find lowers all the time for cheap. Maybe $60.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Last edited:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
I've got $196 worth of parts in my cart at brownells right now just to finish my upper. The only quality parts in there is a saber defense blemished upper at $58.99 and a $34.99 Troy low profile gas block. The other bigger expense is a DPMS free float tube which has no sights or ways to accept them and is $59.99. The rest is a $12.99 forward assist assembly, a gas tube, gas tube roll pin, and the port door cover parts added individually to save a whopping $4 over buying the DPMS kit with all of them. All of those are DPMS parts too which aren't even great parts... And doesn't include shipping which is $15 so lets just call it $210.

This doesn't include a BCG which a QUALITY one is at least $120 and goes up from there. But let's just call it $128 shipped since that's what a CMT is shipped from rainier... Now we're at $330... Half way up your budget and don't have a barrel, lower, or any sort of sights.

A quality barrel is $300 any way you slice it. Sure there is garbage for less but you said quality. Let's just say $250 though as if you found a lightly used one for $250 shipped. Now we're up to $580 and still need a lower...

A quality lower... QUALITY... is another $120 on the low end. This will get you a stag or Seekins. Both good quality with good fitment. A good lower parts kit, once again good, not some hodge podge POS is $65-75. We'll say $65 and assume you can order it from the same place as some of the other parts. A good stock kit is $70-90 so let's say $70 and again you can order it with something else. That's $255 in the lower...

$835 total for mostly quality parts and some DPMS shit. Then you need a $20 punch set, a $80 Geissele reaction rod to properly torque the barrel nut and not put stress on the receiver, and a $20 armorers wrench.

That's almost $1000 for a hodge podge rifle you have to put together and at least one of those parts is not going to fit. Then you're going to have to fix it and probablym**** it up before you realize it was a mistake and another $300 later you get it back from the gunsmith kinda fixed.

So, assemble, or buy?

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Lower Parts Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

I know you're trying to be the AR god of SVTP but you're just being a DB.:rolleyes:

I did pay attention to that part. I'd bet my life on a PSA LPK. Lots of others would too.

How many AR's have you assembled? How many PSA rifles have you fired?

Do you even know that Olympic arms, the shit of the shit makes their parts? Yes, we know they get some of their barrels from FN.

Why don't you do a little digging into Olympic arms, and just do a quick google search on the thousands of threads of people's POS PSA rifles failing. Then do a search looking for Stag, BCM, and LMT rifle failing.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
Yes. Most people put optics on an A3 so I didn't research good irons. Most of Windham's with A3 uppers have neither sight nor optic.

PSA

Those prices are what I paid in December when I built my last one. The PTAC LPK is $44 so I was off by $4.00. I find lowers all the time for cheap. Maybe $60.

i'm here telling you that a COMPLETE Windham with removable carry handle (aka, sights on it) should sell around $800.

despite what you want to believe or what others may tell you PSA products are low quality. a $44 lpk is questionable at best...

$50 to $60 dollar lowers come with their own set of issues and evidence of cutting corners.

edit: i'm not the Windham arms champion... buy a Stag for $800 +/- and be done with it.

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
How many AR's have you assembled? How many PSA rifles have you fired?

Do you even know that Olympic arms, the shit of the shit makes their parts? Yes, we know they get some of their barrels from FN.

Why don't you do a little digging into Olympic arms, and just do a quick google search on the thousands of threads of people's POS PSA rifles failing. Then do a search looking for Stag, BCM, and LMT rifle failing.

I asked and researched PSA. Lots of reliable sources on places like arfcom like them fine.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
When I say quality I mean reliable. A $300 barrel is match grade. The BCG was $12-something.

As do I. Regarding the barrel, once again you don't have a clue what your spewing. $300 isn't match grade, $300 is quality...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/16-Mid-Length-Barrel-s/38.htm

$240 for the standard, $310 for the hammer forged... Chrome moly chromed lined barrels. No gas system period. Are you going to drill for the taper pins and get a FSB straight and properly over the gas port? NO. Add another $100 for the parts and labor assuming you can find a local guy that can do it and do a good job.

Cruise over the websites like Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek, Shilen.... MATCH grade barrel makes and see what one will runs you from there. How about $350 for just the blank, another and another $500 for installing a receiver extension, chambering, profiling, and crowning... That's MATCH grade.

I asked and researched PSA. Lots of reliable sources on places like arfcom like them fine.

There are morons everywhere. Why don't you check out the hipoint forums? There's people on there that swear their guns run top notch and are as good as glock, S&W, Springfield, HK, and even $3K 1911's like nighthawk and wilson... Reality is maybe one out of a hundred MAY make it through a 7 round mags without jamming.

See my point?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I didn't say it was top notch, just reliable.

I have a WOA 6.8 match barrel that didn't cost $850. It groups at around .2 moa. Are there better match grade barrels? Of course. What do they group?

Users who are viewing this thread