Wow, Addicted!!!!

03'Darin

Established Member
Well, good news about my engine. I had started feeling a bad vibration in the instructor session, and parked it for the day. I had visions of needing to rebuild something, and wasn't looking forward to funding that.

It turns out the cross brace we made from the stock vert brace to fit under my canton pan had gotten smashed up and was vibrating against the pan. Gee, I wonder how that happened?

It's gone and everythings fine....for the street. I need to come up with a better brace for the track. I have a few ideas.

I'm so HAPPY!!!! :banana::banana::rockon::rockon::bowdown::bowdown:

Well that's good to hear!! Maybe you could put some of those wheels they use on the rear bumpers of trailers...... on your k-member. :lol::lol: Everyone that has ever run Shenandoah would understand why you need them.

At least you didn't lose an oil pan like the guy in the red Roush did.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yes, I'll have the video up on that soon. I was about 10 car lengths behind him when he did it, and followed him (off his line) back to the pits. Guess he was lucky it was just a small leak, and didn't puke it all at the entrance to the Karussel. Come to think of it, guess I was lucky, too. :eek:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here it is.

Click here to watch Smokin-at-Summit-Point-SVTOA-08

I didn't realize how lucky you were, Darin. We were running together for the first few laps (I attribute that to you breaking in the new parts :p ). You can hear me scraping in the dip before the Karussel. But then we both pulled into the pits to get some room, and you got out before the Roush, and I had to wait. If you hadn't gotten out when you did, you might have been right behind him when he hit down. :eek:
1 lap later, just as I was cresting the hill, he hit down. Once I saw the smoke, I zigged off line, and tried to stay off it, crossing it only as needed. At least it didn't catch anyone.

Last edited:

George D

Established Member
That was quite the bummer, Brian is a hell of a nice guy and he drove all the way from MA to run the car. Hopefully its up and running again soon.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Here it is.

I didn't realize how lucky you were, Darin. We were running together for the first few laps (I attribute that to you breaking in the new parts :p ). You can hear me scraping in the dip before the Karussel. But then we both pulled into the pits to get some room, and you got out before the Roush, and I had to wait. If you hadn't gotten out when you did, you might have been right behind him when he hit down. :eek:
1 lap later, just as I was cresting the hill, he hit down. Once I saw the smoke, I zigged off line, and tried to stay off it, crossing it only as needed. At least it didn't catch anyone.

Nice vid Greg! :beer:

Gonz

Established Member
Speaking of learning curve...I was the guy in the 130whp Sentra that was blackflagged for not lifting for the 400hp+ Cobras on the back stretch after giving a wave-by because I had too much corner/exit speed for them to catch me. :dw:

I had fun. All weekend was just a test and tune for me and my PTE car for NASA Hyperfest. Seems I was getting picked on for being the loud import though. I spent more time on pit road after some bullshit black flag then on track. My only complaint is that I wish we had open passing rules. This sitting in line behind big hp cars waiting for them to rocket down a straight away gets old lap after lap. They'd be lying if they said they couldn't hear me. Such is life for a low hp car.

This is my first post here, since I don't own an SVT, and just found this board while reading about this event. Thought some of the discussion was intersesting, so I signed up.

Kevin - I met you on Sunday after our run group. You got black flagged ( which I thought was for me & pitted in) and mentioned something about giving me a point by. It was fun chasing you around, but one of the cardinal rules in HPDE is you have to LIFT to help cars pass you. Even in NASA HPDE3 we are asked to lift.

I did everything I could to get a run on you out of the corner, but you just flat footed it down the straights, your car hooked up, and you were gone until I caught you at the next corner.

here's the in car: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzoU85sx08U"]YouTube - SVTOA Mountaineer Madness 2008 - Clip 1[/ame] I am driving a 95 Mustang GT (closer to 215HP than to 400 HP)

This is before you swapped over to the sticky tires.

I thought Advanced 2 ran really well, with no traffic jams that I ran into.
It was a fun event except for all the down time on Saturday. That would have been a good opportunity to open up the skid pad.

I was happy to see they removed the "pit wall" from the back straight. Much safer now.

Sorry about you guys who had car trouble, breakdowns etc!

Gonzalo.

Just got another video up:
Group Advanced 2 on Sunday. A couple of laps from my bumper cam, following my brother's 95 Mustang. At the end of the video, I lifted to let a faster driver through ;-)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brx0wbfIWGU"]YouTube - SVTOA Mountaineer Madness 2008 - Clip 2[/ame]

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
That was quite the bummer, Brian is a hell of a nice guy and he drove all the way from MA to run the car. Hopefully its up and running again soon.

I hope he didn't hurt the motor. I never really found out. :shrug:

This is my first post here, since I don't own an SVT, and just found this board while reading about this event. Thought some of the discussion was intersesting, so I signed up.

Kevin - I met you on Sunday after our run group. You got black flagged ( which I thought was for me & pitted in) and mentioned something about giving me a point by. It was fun chasing you around, but one of the cardinal rules in HPDE is you have to LIFT to help cars pass you. Even in NASA HPDE3 we are asked to lift.

I did everything I could to get a run on you out of the corner, but you just flat footed it down the straights, your car hooked up, and you were gone until I caught you at the next corner.

here's the in car: I am driving a 95 Mustang GT (closer to 215HP than to 400 HP)

It was a fun event except for all the down time on Saturday. That would have been a good opportunity to open up the skid pad.

I was happy to see they removed the "pit wall" from the back straight. Much safer now.

Gonzalo.

Group Advanced 2 on Sunday. A couple of laps from my bumper cam, following my brother's 95 Mustang. At the end of the video, I lifted to let a faster driver through ;-)

Awesomly cool video, Gonz. Me like bumper cam! :thumbsup:

Kevin, I christen your car the "Tilt-A-Whirl". :banana:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I clocked a 1:51 on the first complete lap of the Sentra Bridge to Bridge, and a 1:50 on the first complete lap of the Mustang using the cone at turn one. Looked good to me. :)

03'Darin

Established Member
Here it is.

Wow!! I didn't realize I was that close to being right behind that. You were pretty lucky Greg. Imagine heading into the braking zone for the bowl and hitting oil.. :eek::eek: .

Nice video!! I would love to have been able to see a lap or two from behind my car like that to see how it "behaved".

here's the in car: YouTube - SVTOA Mountaineer Madness 2008 - Clip 1 I am driving a 95 Mustang GT (closer to 215HP than to 400 HP)

Gonzalo.

YouTube - SVTOA Mountaineer Madness 2008 - Clip 2

Welcome aboard Gonzalo!!

Nice videos!! Man I like that bumper cam... can you post some details about the video setup please.

The Shenandoah track doesn't take much hp. I've seen it many times that a well handling low hp car with a good driver can be as fast as most anything (reasonable of course).

Darin

Gonz

Established Member
Anyone have vids of Advanced 1?

I've got some trackside video of both advanced groups. I just have to sort through it, download, edit, etc. and I'll try to post it on here. I did some taping from the Hook, and also at the Bridge & possibly back the straight.

Glad you guys liked the "bumper cam." Thanks for the positive comments.
It's always fun to go back and watch. This keeps the "track high" going a little longer.

Darin - I'll give you the details on the setup after I'm home tonight. It's a fairly simple set up.

Gonz.

Kevin@PAS

Established Member

I understand the cardinal rules of HPDE very well, but as I told you in person I, being the lone wolf in the low hp import, was assuming everyone had the grunt to get by me whenever they wanted and lifting in my car kills my momentum. As you well know, at Shenandoah, momentum is key. No, I didn't lift. And I probably still wont unless someone is drafting me through the entire corner before a passing zone. If we had open passing I probably would have let you by a hundred different times, but I think the video proves that I wasn't holding you up. I might have been annoying you with my exhaust, but I sure as hell wasn't holding you up. I apologized in person though because I dont want anyone thinking I don't play by the rules. I was honest with you and told you I wasn't lifting. I think everyone at the whole track could hear that.

Corner speed is a bitch ain't it. You definitely closed in on me under braking as I wasn't running my hot race pads and also had horribly warped rotors that started after my 2nd session on Saturday. I saw you come up on me, but I knew that as soon as I got threw the next turn I'd put several car lengths on you...therefore you'd be in my way if I had let you by. Then we'd be arguing the reverse argument and I'd be complaining about all the big ole' bad Mustang owners! :lol1:

I had a really fun time running with you and who I believe was your brother...or friend...whoever it was. That was a blast. I honestly hope I didnt piss you off. If so, I apologize again, but go find some power, I'll ditch my passenger and a new set of R-888's and lets see how we stack up again! :thumbsup:

here's the in car: YouTube - SVTOA Mountaineer Madness 2008 - Clip 1 I am driving a 95 Mustang GT (closer to 215HP than to 400 HP)

The 400hp comment wasn't for you, but for another guy that claimed he had lots of horsepower when I talked to him Friday afternoon...and then it instantly disappeared when he couldn't pass me on Saturday. I think I need to get me one of those cameras!

Yea, that session was on corded Hoosiers that provided no grip compared to what I'm used to with Toyos. My only quasi-sticky session of the entire weekend was my last session with RA-1s up front and Hoosiers out back. That odd combo actually worked quite well.

Kevin, I christen your car the "Tilt-A-Whirl". :banana:

Ha! Thanks....I think. :banana:

I clocked a 1:51 on the first complete lap of the Sentra Bridge to Bridge, and a 1:50 on the first complete lap of the Mustang using the cone at turn one. Looked good to me. :)

Then there you have it, I'm 3-4 seconds off my normal pace at Shenandoah! Having a 260lbs passenger and worn out Hoosiers really does hurt performance...who'da thunk it.

The Shenandoah track doesn't take much hp. I've seen it many times that a well handling low hp car with a good driver can be as fast as most anything (reasonable of course).

137whp & 2786lbs (weight @ event w/ passenger) and whitewalls. It's all in the whitewalls.

David Hester

Established Member
I understand the cardinal rules of HPDE very well, but as I told you in person I, being the lone wolf in the low hp import, was assuming everyone had the grunt to get by me whenever they wanted and lifting in my car kills my momentum. As you well know, at Shenandoah, momentum is key. No, I didn't lift. And I probably still wont unless someone is drafting me through the entire corner before a passing zone. If we had open passing I probably would have let you by a hundred different times, but I think the video proves that I wasn't holding you up.
:uh oh:
Interesting.
I roadrace in the "low HP" cars in A/Sedan. We are out there with everything from GT-1, T1 to GT-3. GT-1 cars have 30-40 mph over us just about everywhere. GT-3's have less horsepower, but weigh 1000 lbs less.
In driver's school years ago we learned cars don't just fall into your rearview mirror. If you look up and a car is there that wasn't a few seconds earlier, he's faster. Let him by.
Doesn't matter you can take him on the next straight. He got there because he caught you.
Last time I checked, HPDE's didn't give money, trophies, or sponsorships for leading or holding up.

Last edited:

Kevin@PAS

Established Member
If you look up and a car is there that wasn't a few seconds earlier, he's faster. Let him by.
Doesn't matter you can take him on the next straight. He got there because he caught you.

I completely agree. And God didn't grace me with the ability to pull away either, I drove away. I gave him wave-bys on every passing zone for 2 complete laps, but as I said...I didnt lift. I already apologized for that, but I was absolutely willing to let him by, it was my mistake for overestimating his horsepower. My bad. :(

David Hester

Established Member
LOL
It's just a driver courtesy thing. Car appears in the mirror. Lift, let them by.
:uh oh:
SCCA%20Road%20Atlanta%20Ju%2310008.jpg

Roadracing you get a bump if you don't.
Friendly bump, of course.
I've been bumper and bumpee. (check out bumper edges)
Don't want that happening in track days, though.

Kevin@PAS

Established Member
I understand and like I said I instantly found him right after the session to make sure he wasn't too pissed about it.

I'd be fine if he bumped me. I'd return the favor though.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Anyone have vids of Advanced 1?
Yep, including some of you, George.
Wow!! I didn't realize I was that close to being right behind that. You were pretty lucky Greg. Imagine heading into the braking zone for the bowl and hitting oil.. :eek::eek: .

Nice video!! I would love to have been able to see a lap or two from behind my car like that to see how it "behaved".

Darin

I have some from behind you for a few laps.

I'll get to them soon (I need a day off!). :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread