Wow, Addicted!!!!

Gonz

Established Member
hey guys,

I didn't have any hard feelings with Kevin or anything. I posted the video,thinking it might be interesting for him to see it. Yes, he did talk to me right after the run, and I told him it was fun, and I mentioned that I saw one point by, but couldn't get past him. I enjoyed talking with him.

I don't really agree with the comments here that people are picking on him because he drives an import or that Mustangs are only fast in a straight line and will block him in turns.

I've driven Shenandoah in a Miata and gotten stuck behind "faster" cars for laps on end. It's not fun. However, I would say, if you point me by, and then you are on my bumper through the next 5 corners, I'm going to point you right by at the next opportunity. This is the "ADVANCED" group, so you aren't going to get "stuck" behind somebody who doesn't realize that you are faster.

Maybe Kevin, was on old tires, didn't have the car corner balanced, had a 250lb passenger, and was taking it 'easy' on his street pads. That's cool. It's just an HPDE, not a race. I'm just an HPDE student.

But I did run about two second faster when I had an open track. ;-)

see you at Hyperfest!

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I clocked a 1:51 on the first complete lap of the Sentra Bridge to Bridge, and a 1:50 on the first complete lap of the Mustang using the cone at turn one. Looked good to me. :)

Troy, I'm not sure I'd count on the timing of video when compressed and sent over the internet. I got a feeling they were faster than that, just because I have timing that I was, and while I wasn't in the session with them, I have run with folks that were, and have a feeling for where they run.

But we're not really timing any of these driver education laps, are we? :rollseyes

03'Darin

Established Member
Yep, including some of you, George.

I have some from behind you for a few laps.

I'll get to them soon (I need a day off!). :beer:

Great!! I look forward to seeing them. But what's "a day off"?? lol

But we're not really timing any of these driver education laps, are we? :rollseyes

It's funny you say that..... I had a couple of guys ask me what a "fast" or "good" lap time was. I said "no idea, what's it matter?".

I had a great time in advanced 1 and 2. I never experienced a passing issue with anyone.... well except for maybe an 03 Cobra or two that didn't want to lift after they pointed. But all was good and I thought everyone in those two groups were extremely courteous.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Troy, I'm not sure I'd count on the timing of video when compressed and sent over the internet. I got a feeling they were faster than that, just because I have timing that I was, and while I wasn't in the session with them, I have run with folks that were, and have a feeling for where they run.

I was just using the vid timer as a relative measurement tool to compare two vastly different platforms and how different lines and driving techniques combine for very similar lap times. Nothing more than that...just an HPDE.

I did notice someone at the wall taking split times while ADV2 was running on Sunday, and I encouraged him not to do so.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Great vids everyone. Add me to the list of guys who had a blast and also add me to the list of guys that broke. I found my left outboard CV joint puking grease sunday morning and decided to keep it in the paddock for the day. Had no trouble on the drive home but had to have the CV joint replaced on Tuesday. I also turned 54000 miles at the event along with my first mechanical problem in the 4+ years I've been doing this. Should be good now for the Glen in June

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Funny story about lifting.

I was running NASA HPDE1 a while back at Summit Main. For those that don't know the track, turn 9 is the end of a series of turns you need to get right to get a good drive up a substantial hill. One (of the few) laps I had gotten it right, and got a good point from a fast BMW. I creeped up alongside starting up the hill...and was still along side....and still alongside, and finally at the point past the bridge before the braking zone for turn 10, he got the idea and lifted. No real issue, but in the next classroom, when we were talking about passing, I mentioned that lifting is especially necessary for going up the hill while being overtaken by a low horsepower car, like mine. One guy (I'm not sure if it was the one I passed there) said "C'mon, low HP with that supercharger?" I mentioned that my Cobra is a '98, with a stock N/A motor, and put down 281 hp on the dyno. He replied, and I laughed out loud, "Then why do you have the SC on the back of your car?" I simply said "That's the designation for my Brooks SC (Street/Competition) suspension". :lol:

I must admit that I felt a little puffed up that he thought my car was blown.
I think he learned a bit about corner speed that weekend. :D

BrooksSC.JPG

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
Ken great thread (we go way back now) Sounds like you had a blast, wish we lived just a little closer together. Weather here has been shit, stil haven't got out to track this season, and tell your boy to stop by and have a damn beer, after all, he is 21 now.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
Funny story about lifting.

I was running NASA HPDE1 a while back at Summit Main. For those that don't know the track, turn 9 is the end of a series of turns you need to get right to get a good drive up a substantial hill. One (of the few) laps I had gotten it right, and got a good point from a fast BMW. I creeped up alongside starting up the hill...and was still along side....and still alongside, and finally at the point past the bridge before the braking zone for turn 10, he got the idea and lifted. No real issue, but in the next classroom, when we were talking about passing, I mentioned that lifting is especially necessary for going up the hill while being overtaken by a low horsepower car, like mine. One guy (I'm not sure if it was the one I passed there) said "C'mon, low HP with that supercharger?" I mentioned that my Cobra is a '98, with a stock N/A motor, and put down 281 hp on the dyno. He replied, and I laughed out loud, "Then why do you have the SC on the back of your car?" I simply said "That's the designation for my Brooks SC (Street/Competition) suspension". :lol:

I must admit that I felt a little puffed up that he thought my car was blown.
I think he learned a bit about corner speed that weekend. :D

BrooksSC.JPG

That is pretty funny!:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
also add me to the list of guys that broke. I found my left outboard CV joint puking grease sunday morning and decided to keep it in the paddock for the day.

I'm not sure how much power you have or how hard you're driving your car but here is my story.

A few years ago I finally got up to speed in my car. Got real comfortable in it and was driving it REAL hard with lots of WOT. My car weighed in the 3,600# range with 410 ish to the rear wheels.

I blew my first left outer boot in August of '06. :( Blew my second one the next day. :fart: Blew my third one the next event! :bash:

So after some investigation we were told the boots are inflating from heat, once they inflate they are catching on the closest thing they can catch on (which was my coil-over nut) and they tear. They said to vent the boot.

This is how I vented the boot. Since the boot vent, no more torn left outer boots! Why is it only the left outer? That I'm not sure of but I really don't care at this point.

That little red strip you see in there is a spray tube from a WD-40 can. I removed the factory band, installed the tube and hose clamped the boot back on. It worked for me!

Your mileage may vary!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Stanger58

Established Member
Shennandoah Circuit can be a real pain to manage traffic flow... low HP cars with excellent corner speed, high HP cars with good straight speed...and just as wide of range of driver skill and comfort level on that twisting and diving snake of a track. Overall, I think the event went very well... Thanks to all our "returning vets"... it's great to see so many of you coming back to run with SVTOA. And, it's always great to welcome new folks to our event: experienced, intermediates and of course, the novice / first-timers.

Other than the aforementioned mechanical issues and the one or two drivers who JUST didn't "get it", I think think the weekend went very well. Granted, Advanced 1 didn't get to see the CHECKERED flag until the last session of the day on Saturday. Heck, I almost ended the session with a BLACK flag...didn't know if y'all would recognize the checkered... :-D

And the Boston Gang: Gosh, we had so many of them show up, the dang near had their OWN run group! Thanks for makin' the trip down to WV.

I want to thank Brian and Gina: what a team! Thank you for your organizational skills and getting such a wonderfully diverse group of drivers and students to sign up. Also, a special thanks to Neil and Karen Berry who come over from Cleveland JUST to help out. Waaaay cool!

And of course, a HUGE thank you to our hard-working in-car instructor crew - these guys have "guts of steel"...not just for instructing, but for doing it year after year, lap after lap AND keeping your breakfast down! Thanks guys, we simply could NOT do these events without your dedication and willingness to help "infect" the next wave of track addicts! There was somthing missing though... oh yeah, Cliff and his Lightning! Dang Cliff, I had to bum a session in a GT500 this year... :shrug:

Thank you to our sponsors: SVTOA, Peformance Autosports (thanks for the fresh instructor shirts and Friday night pizza), Saleen Autosports for bringing some waaaaay cool "Heritage Edition" cars, Mid Atlantic Mustangs, and Brooks Performance. Thank you for your support. I also want to thank John Brooks for leading our Sunday Morining at-track devotional service. What a great way to start the day...

And last but certainly not least, I want to thank Marcie Cipriani, our new National Director for SVTOA for making the trip down from PA to attend her first official SVTOA event as National Director and for taking the time to meet, greet and visit with our loyal members.

So... who's up for Sebring? Come on down... :rockon:

See you on track! :banana:

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Granted, Advanced 1 didn't get to see the CHECKERED flag until the last session of the day on Saturday. Heck, I almost ended the session with a BLACK flag...didn't know if y'all would recognize the checkered... :-D

:lol: The checkered flag had just enough black in it we recognized it.

Thanks for being so patient with us, Jeff. :bash:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Great info Bruce, on the boot vents. I will be doing this before VIR at the end of this month. While I am not driving as hard as you, I am not going to wait until my boot gives out to find out when I am.

TroyV

Established Member
I'm not sure how much power you have or how hard you're driving your car but here is my story.

A few years ago I finally got up to speed in my car. Got real comfortable in it and was driving it REAL hard with lots of WOT. My car weighed in the 3,600# range with 410 ish to the rear wheels.

I blew my first left outer boot in August of '06. :( Blew my second one the next day. :fart: Blew my third one the next event! :bash:

So after some investigation we were told the boots are inflating from heat, once they inflate they are catching on the closest thing they can catch on (which was my coil-over nut) and they tear. They said to vent the boot.

This is how I vented the boot. Since the boot vent, no more torn left outer boots! Why is it only the left outer? That I'm not sure of but I really don't care at this point.

That little red strip you see in there is a spray tube from a WD-40 can. I removed the factory band, installed the tube and hose clamped the boot back on. It worked for me!

Your mileage may vary!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

That is VERY slick!!!

George D

Established Member
And the Boston Gang: Gosh, we had so many of them show up, the dang near had their OWN run group! Thanks for makin' the trip down to WV.
:

Thanks for having us! The front pit looked like the Mass Pike on a Friday with all the New England plates.
To the OP, I can't believe you live within HEARING distance and just got around to attending.:rolling:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks for nice coments guys, and thank you Jeff and Brian and everyone else involved in pulling this off, it was a great time.

I hope to be able to run with the Intermediate boys soon, and felt very good at the end of Sunday.

I now know how much I did not know and how much I have to learn yet. :dw:

May join the MB club at then end of July.

Car ran great, but getting a new tune and a few more mods before the next session to add a lil more HP and some suspension mods.

See you guys at the next event...

now I can have a beer on the deck and know what is really going on out there :rockon::rockon:

Ken

:beer::beer:

TroyV

Established Member
Thanks for having us! The front pit looked like the Mass Pike on a Friday with all the New England plates.

Big thanks to Brian and the gang for being so accommodating to our group, and holding a spot for the double rig. Mick was a little concerned about getting in there with the trailer.

03'Darin

Established Member
Well I just got word from Gary (dark gray Fox body hb that only ran Sunday) about his motor, unfortunaterly he wasn't as lucky as you guys..... his motor is toast. They think it dropped a rocker, which in turn sent metal through the motor, broke the timing chain and cover, bent valves, scored 5 cylinders bad and ruined the cam. They haven't checked the crank or block yet.

Maynor

Established Member
Seeing this is a pretty good size Boston contingent here.. I'm in the process of relo'ing to Bahston. What are the most popular tracks out there? I'm used to running at VIR, Summit and Watkins Glen. I heard a new track is opening in NJ not far from Philly but haven't heard great things about the NE tracks like Lime Rock.

Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread