Yep, its got IRS......

Wharf Rat

Established Member
Yeahhhhh. IRS for the whopping .003% that will notice or track the car to take advantage. The rest of will be stuck replacing half shafts or replacing the whole rearend :pop:

AND it will get a better review in Motor Trend when they compare it to a Hyundai Genesis and Mazda RX-8. :rollseyes

Wharf Rat

Established Member
Wonder if they'll use the same blue grease in them that they did in the 03-04's??? I haven't seen smurf guts at the track in like 5 years.

fast ford brian

Established Member
What does it matter if it has IRS. Thats just going to be one more Saturday under it in the garage to do a swap for most people.

Wharf Rat

Established Member
What does it matter if it has IRS. Thats just going to be one more Saturday under it in the garage to do a swap for most people.

Good point. Hopefully it's a straight forward swap like the 99-04's were. Is it too soon to put the IRS from my 2015 Mustang on Craigslist??? :??:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
IRS haters need to get over it.:nonono:

News Flash!:eek:
It's 2012, an IRS can be engineered to be very strong and work better than a live axle.:uh oh:

Please don't ask for examples, do I really need to list them?:dw::bored::rollseyes

Yes, please do list an IRS set-up that doesn't come apart with high torque and sticky tires.

Then tell us how much money that will add to the cost of the car.

After having owned a car with IRS and having had to replace a diff and an axle, I'm not interested in doing it again.

ViciousJay

Established Member
IRS haters need to get over it.:nonono:

News Flash!:eek:
It's 2012, an IRS can be engineered to be very strong and work better than a live axle.:uh oh:

Please don't ask for examples, do I really need to list them?:dw::bored::rollseyes

You are the man when it comes to craving corners but if its man made it can be destroyed :lol1: jimmy you are one of the best , but you have to admit the 3 link is niceeee

Teej281

Established Member
I gotta say, if you cant tell it has an IRS in it after looking at the negative camber the rear wheels have...you need your head examined. I'm putting money on it that every one of the new mustangs, including an SVT model if they are produced, is going to get an IRS. Ford is trying to take the mustang global. You go to europe, there are not many drag strips. They have road course after road course though! And curvy, windy roads that just don't end! In the states, there are millions of mustangs and lots of drag strips. In Europe, there are not many mustangs, and not many drag strips...get the picture. Ford is going after a market that they previously couldn't get unless they went hardcore and threw a watts link/torque arm package at a new mustang...and even then it would ride like complete crap! They want to change that. And if they expect to compete in the global marketplace, they need the IRS, not only for handling benefit, but also for ride quality as stick axles ride horribly(although there has been much improvement since the new edge era). I bet the sales they lose to the SRA-happy-IRS-bashing crowd here in America they will gain 10 fold in Europe. I think this era mustang is perfect...minus the live rear axle. I mean the guy above my post's car is a 2013 Ingot Silver Brembo package...that thing is one of the sexiest cars out there IMHO! Just straight clean and gorgeous. But the live axle leaves much to be desired.

You all hate on the fact that its going to have an IRS. I gotta tell ya...the representation of the entire mustang community on this forum is small. There are many thousands of mustang owners out there that don't even have a clue this forum exists, let alone this section. Many of the people out there that have these cars are keeping them stock and don't even use them like we do anyways! I'd say for every car on here with a blower(not anything crazy, just a blower of some sort), there are at least 50 or more out there that are stock(within reason...exhaust is typical for any mustang to have). And if they take them to the track, I'm sure that they aren't launching them at 5000rpm with slicks either. They're out having fun on the street where we cant hardly use the power that comes stock in any mustang anyways...but we can use the suspension in the twisties within legal limits and enjoy doing so! Stock for stock, on the street, I bet the 2015 with an IRS would be much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive.

I'm personally anxious awaiting to see this new Mustang with the IRS actually engineered for it this time.

P.S. You guys deal with wheel hop almost as much as IRS cobras do...so why all the fuss? There are fixes for both setups.

wbt

Banned
Yes, please do list an IRS set-up that doesn't come apart with high torque and sticky tires.

Then tell us how much money that will add to the cost of the car.

After having owned a car with IRS and having had to replace a diff and an axle, I'm not interested in doing it again.

Yep.

IMO the 2011-2014 S197's will go down as the best bang for the buck, modern Mustang made. They will hold a place next to the 1987-1993 5.0 non-hatchback coupes.

I have 0 passion or desire to buy a 6th gen Mustang with the IRS regardless of what powertrain options are available.

twistedneck

Established Member
Yup, i've got parts front and rear on there... saw the builds and they are nice. its pretty damn good with a lot of tuning options - actually a lot more than the current setup. an engineer told me the current setup has all the dials for adjustment pretty maxed out. but this new one has twice the adjustment and everything is still set at zero. :)

we are going to have 2015 envy come april 2014. get ready for it, one hell of a car. if Camaro decides to do a really tuned in agressive IRS for their 2016, its going to be a fight.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Yup, i've got parts front and rear on there... saw the builds and they are nice. its pretty damn good with a lot of tuning options - actually a lot more than the current setup. an engineer told me the current setup has all the dials for adjustment pretty maxed out. but this new one has twice the adjustment and everything is still set at zero. :)

we are going to have 2015 envy come april 2014. get ready for it, one hell of a car. if Camaro decides to do a really tuned in agressive IRS for their 2016, its going to be a fight.

Any word from him that lets us know if the IRS will be standard for the whole line up?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I gotta say, if you cant tell it has an IRS in it after looking at the negative camber the rear wheels have...you need your head examined. I'm putting money on it that every one of the new mustangs, including an SVT model if they are produced, is going to get an IRS. Ford is trying to take the mustang global. You go to europe, there are not many drag strips. They have road course after road course though! And curvy, windy roads that just don't end! In the states, there are millions of mustangs and lots of drag strips. In Europe, there are not many mustangs, and not many drag strips...get the picture. Ford is going after a market that they previously couldn't get unless they went hardcore and threw a watts link/torque arm package at a new mustang...and even then it would ride like complete crap! They want to change that. And if they expect to compete in the global marketplace, they need the IRS, not only for handling benefit, but also for ride quality as stick axles ride horribly(although there has been much improvement since the new edge era). I bet the sales they lose to the SRA-happy-IRS-bashing crowd here in America they will gain 10 fold in Europe. I think this era mustang is perfect...minus the live rear axle. I mean the guy above my post's car is a 2013 Ingot Silver Brembo package...that thing is one of the sexiest cars out there IMHO! Just straight clean and gorgeous. But the live axle leaves much to be desired.

You all hate on the fact that its going to have an IRS. I gotta tell ya...the representation of the entire mustang community on this forum is small. There are many thousands of mustang owners out there that don't even have a clue this forum exists, let alone this section. Many of the people out there that have these cars are keeping them stock and don't even use them like we do anyways! I'd say for every car on here with a blower(not anything crazy, just a blower of some sort), there are at least 50 or more out there that are stock(within reason...exhaust is typical for any mustang to have). And if they take them to the track, I'm sure that they aren't launching them at 5000rpm with slicks either. They're out having fun on the street where we cant hardly use the power that comes stock in any mustang anyways...but we can use the suspension in the twisties within legal limits and enjoy doing so! Stock for stock, on the street, I bet the 2015 with an IRS would be much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive.

I'm personally anxious awaiting to see this new Mustang with the IRS actually engineered for it this time.

P.S. You guys deal with wheel hop almost as much as IRS cobras do...so why all the fuss? There are fixes for both setups.

well said :beer:

DIB5.0

Established Member
2015-Ford-Mustang-rear-suspension-623x389.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread