Yep, its got IRS......

twistedneck

Established Member
OMG look at the little pipes BWAHAHAHAHHAHA talk about choking the exhaust

I'm sure the real vehicle will have a lot more room for exhaust routing but really thats not half bad the radii are large enough, as you know the most rearward parts have the least affect on back pressure.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No there not any IRS systems that will consistantly handle high HP launches.
I've raced Vets and big HP Vipers with DRs and slicks, half shafts and CVs are fuses that need to be replaced every 20 runs or they FAIL. Yes I have the upgraded Unitrax and other "unbreakable" halfshafts. IRS is for road racing and more customers drag race than road race. Keep the solid axle!!!

BULL SHIT!! You are doing it wrong or using the wrong equipment for the job! Freaking get over yourself you drag racers are a very small niche segment that even when you do get a solid axle you rip it out and put a narrowed 9" Ford in with a 4 link, something you obviously should have done in the cars you mentioned.

No, really, give me an example of a Ford build IRS that doesn't grenade half shafts and is less expensive than a straight axle. :banana:
I hope the Mustang never ditches the live axle. It is part of its personality and heritage.
:beer:

Ford GT:bored::rollseyes

I did not say Ford, I said:
"News Flash!
It's 2012, an IRS can be engineered to be very strong and work better than a live axle."

Examples:
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari (pick one!)
Lamborghini (pick one!)
Maserati (pick one!)
Mercedes (pick one!)->AMG Black
Porsche (pick one!)
BMW M series (pick one!)
Aston Martin (pick one!)
Jaguar (pick one!)
Audi R8
Bentley (pick one!)
Cadillac CTS-V
Corvette
Camaro
Viper
Ford GT <---- I don't hear drag racers bitching about launching this car in the standing mile!
Koenigsegg (pick one!)
Lexus LF-A
Mclaren (pick one!)
Mitsubishi EVO
Nissan GTR
Pontiac GTO
Rolls Royce (pick one!)
Supra

DIB5.0

Established Member
It still comes down to what this car will look like. If its an Evo with Mustang cues or a Hyundai Genesis type with Mustang cues it still will be a fail in my eyes.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Yep.

IMO the 2011-2014 S197's will go down as the best bang for the buck, modern Mustang made. They will hold a place next to the 1987-1993 5.0 non-hatchback coupes.

I have 0 passion or desire to buy a 6th gen Mustang with the IRS regardless of what powertrain options are available.

i agree with all of this.

The wheel hop is bad now on a stock GT with a solid axle and ford wants to give the GT more horsepower and an IRS?

good luck.

Edit: the cars in that list above are all high end cars that are very expensive, except for a few(Camaro, GTO) and I hear those cars IRS's are a big fail.

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
BULL SHIT!! You are doing it wrong or using the wrong equipment for the job! Freaking get over yourself you drag racers are a very small niche segment that even when you do get a solid axle you rip it out and put a narrowed 9" Ford in with a 4 link, something you obviously should have done in the cars you mentioned.

"News Flash!
It's 2012, an IRS can be engineered to be very strong and work better than a live axle."

Examples:
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari (pick one!)
Lamborghini (pick one!)
Maserati (pick one!)
Porsche (pick one!)
BMW M series (pick one!)
Aston Martin (pick one!)
Jaguar (pick one!)
Audi R8
Bentley (pick one!)
Cadillac CTS-V
Corvette
Camaro
Viper
Ford GT <---- I don't hear drag racers bitching about launching this car in the standing mile!
Koenigsegg (pick one!)
Lexus LF-A
Mclaren (pick one!)
Mitsubishi EVO
Nissan GTR
Pontiac GTO
Rolls Royce (pick one!)
Supra

Many on that list have plenty of documented problems with sticky tires.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yep.

IMO the 2011-2014 S197's will go down as the best bang for the buck, modern Mustang made. They will hold a place next to the 1987-1993 5.0 non-hatchback coupes.

I have 0 passion or desire to buy a 6th gen Mustang with the IRS regardless of what powertrain options are available.

I agree completely

Do you really think a manufacture cares if you slap on a set of sticky tires and break something?

Probably not, but many of us here do!!!!

Teej281

Established Member
Jimmy, standing mile in many of the cars you listed you'll have to do a rolling start and not launch it to get it to hook with standing mile power. :/

5lho

Established Member
You can fix the wheelhop on an SRA with a couple bucks worth of easy-install bits. Not so, if you've got halfshafts involved. The IRS is based on the control blade setup from the Falcon so, barring any major geometry screw ups in translation to the Mustang platform it should be fine. It's a big trailing link, two lateral links and a toe control link so, it's pretty sharp-end stuff.

However, I'm happy with my SRA, nonetheless. I have confidence in its durability and appreciate the cheap hop ups it gives.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

Examples:
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari (pick one!)
Lamborghini (pick one!)
Maserati (pick one!)
Porsche (pick one!)
BMW M series (pick one!)
Aston Martin (pick one!)
Jaguar (pick one!)
Audi R8
Bentley (pick one!)
Cadillac CTS-V
Corvette
Camaro
Viper
Koenigsegg (pick one!)
Lexus LF-A
Mclaren (pick one!)
Mitsubishi EVO
Nissan GTR
Pontiac GTO
Rolls Royce (pick one!)
Supra

With all these cars to chose from that have IRS, why did you chose to use a Mustang for your race platform?

If Ford does a real IRS it should be awesome. But I'm sure we'll see the same BS IRS of the past.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
With all these cars to chose from that have IRS, why did you chose to use a Mustang for your race platform?

If Ford does a real IRS it should be awesome. But I'm sure we'll see the same BS IRS of the past.

Mustangs work great for a racing platform. Cheap and parts are easy to get. IRS is not as big of a problem on the track as the supercharger. Heat is a pain

twistedneck

Established Member
snipped.

I agree with Jimmy and would like to add that all supercars have fully independent rear. The mustang is a 'cheap' supercar therefore its a natural evolution. just like the camaro, same thing with magnetic dampers like the zl1 or the gt500 - they are awesome technology we would all enjoy except drag racers.

Ford calls the drag starts 'snap start' and they do test for it a lot.. they have found many issues with the current mustang in snap starts, so they know what to do and how to fix.

1MeanNonPI2v

Established Member

"News Flash!

Examples:
Bugatti Veyron
Ferrari (pick one!)
Lamborghini (pick one!)
Maserati (pick one!)
Porsche (pick one!)
BMW M series (pick one!)
Aston Martin (pick one!)
Jaguar (pick one!)
Audi R8
Bentley (pick one!)
Cadillac CTS-V
Corvette
Camaro
Viper
Koenigsegg (pick one!)
Lexus LF-A
Mclaren (pick one!)
Mitsubishi EVO
Nissan GTR
Pontiac GTO
Rolls Royce (pick one!)
Supra

The Ford GT was equipped with a transaxle with IRS... much different than a front engine mustang with a standard driveline. Still not impressed or happy about the idea of all Mustangs having an IRS. I guess I will just have to choose to not buy one! :coolman:

PS - all of the cars you listed have 2 things in common. They all have IRS, and they are not MUSTANGS!!!

Davey

Established Member
Worst kept secret in automotive history.

:lol:

"Sure, take as many pictures of the underside of our top-secret test mule as you want."

Honestly I think they are trolling for a little feedback. My feedback is this: As long as they do a good job of making it handle, I'm very glad to see the IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread