Yet another reason I will never live somewhere with HOA...

BladeX10

Established Member
Not true at all. My parents are fairly well off. Both in the house they owned previous to their current and in their current house, there has always been at least one house on the block that the people simply didn't care.

Both neighborhoods in question are still considered higher end neighborhoods for our area. Just down the street of their current residence, there is a family of hoarders that never put a yard in at all. They half-assed some seed for sawd in the front yard and put a single tree up. That's it. Their lot is otherwise a pile of dirt and gravel. All of their cars sit outside because their garage is full of other crap. They've also got a large uncovered water tank sitting in the front yard that they use to collect rain water for a sprinkler system they don't have.

All you need is just one house on the block to not give a crap.

If you're house hunting and you find two houses you like. Both in great condition, both in great neighborhoods with good schools and both at the same price. But, one house sits next to a house that is owned by somebody that does care about keeping it well maintained and manicured.

Which house are you going to be more apt to purchase? Probably the house that doesn't have the eye-sore sitting next door. Now put yourself in the shoes of the guy trying to sell his house with the eye-sore next to it.

Which house

I see what you mean. Every house i've lived in, theres always that one neighbor i cant stand. Which is why i'd much rather go out and have my own land and house. Problem solved!!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Being away in areas is great, lived in the country quite a bit. I wouldn't want it now because I don't want to maintain acres of land. Plus living in a condensed neighborhood is awesome for the kids because their are plenty of other families with kids for them to play with. Both have their cons and pros but regardless, there is nothing wrong with living in an area with an HOA as some people make it out to be.

Two 5.0s

Established Member
You do know the money you pay goes towards fees for say, lighting the neighborhood at night with light posts which is NICE. Maintaining side walks. Hiring plow services to clear the roads (some places are private not state roads...), club houses, lawn care / shrubbery for entrances, etc. Again, someone who actually doesn't really know anything about what they are "so against".

I actually know quite abit about it. I have friends that live in neightborhhoods with HOA. Its just not for me. My neighborhood is very nice and my yard is beautifully landscaped. The township takes care of our streets and plowing and we have no sidewalks.:-D

Vigilante

Established Member
I ****ing hate my hoa. I think they are embezzling. Everyone pays dues yet the pool is awful, the nieghborhood sign is in shambles and that is what they are supposed to be fixing....the last 2 years.

About to move back onto the farm.

My favorite thing that HOAs do, is get one and only one estimate for jobs... and its always from the same guy... The second thing I love about HOAs is that they have the audacity to ask for an extra payment on top of monthly fee in exchange for repairs, including regular maintenance/sarcasm.

My cousin lives in a place that doesn't allow overnight guests. If you don't own or rent in the subdivision, your curfew is 10pm and you better get out!

I moved the hell out of my HOA and into a HOA-free housing subdivision and never looked back.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
There is good and bad with HOA's. they can protect you as much as hurt you.

55 and older community. This is where you do not want to buy into a HOA. Reason being, they have nothing better to do. You have to read the agreements before you sign. If they create greater restrictions down the road then you are subject to them with little say.

Kinda like our political system but you do not loose an election based on what a courtyard rules.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I'm running my HOA through my puppet administration headed by my neighbor.

While I cannot legally park my car in front of my home after 10pm on the street, the grounds keeping more than makes up for it. Our streets are private, well lit, and safe to walk through in the evenings.

The homes look nice, no oily driveway spots (they ticketed one of my neighbors) and sell fast when on the market.

I pay $125 a month which is crazy for the small amount of yard in the front the HOA has to upkeep since i fenced in the backyard

msg1320

Established Member
You have to be crazy to live in one. I would have the garage doors open for a few hours they would go nuts. Hoa had a meeting told me could not have doors open that's when I moved wtf.

Dragu1a

Established Member
my question is, what if you tell them no? like if MSG1320 ^ told them to suck wang about his garage door...what can they do? fines? how do they enforce the fines? can they sue you?

i couldn't live in a HOA neighborhood...i'm too irritable. i'd lose my mind on Nosey Nellie down the street if she told me i HAD to do something.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I ****ing hate my hoa. I think they are embezzling. Everyone pays dues yet the pool is awful, the nieghborhood sign is in shambles and that is what they are supposed to be fixing....the last 2 years.

About to move back onto the farm.
and what are you doing about it? have you asked to see the books? they can't keep you from looking at them and have to make them available.

All HOAs suck, end of story.
and so do people who make broad ass generalizations based on little or no personal experience with them.

You have to be crazy to live in one. I would have the garage doors open for a few hours they would go nuts. Hoa had a meeting told me could not have doors open that's when I moved wtf.
did you review the guildlines? did it actually say that in the rules? or did you just take what they said at face falue.

the problem with threads like these is that you get the people with bad experiences whooping an hollering, then you get people who bitch and complain and make comments that have never bought, sold or lived in a house with one but simply go by what their "friends" say or what they read in the papers.

I have lived in HOAs in Virginia, and Texas and have had good ones and bad ones. it on the homebuyer to check out the HOA thoroughly before they buy. if they move into a bad one they have no one to blame but their own laziness.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The town I live in has ordinances to handle people that don't cut their grass or keep old junked out cars sitting around. Those that see those things in non HOA neighborhoods should look into it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
love living in wisconsin. i live in a neighborhood of 8 houses. i can park my car hauler anywhere i want. the only thing on the restrictions is that we're not supposed to burn stuff in barrels---lol.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i would never buy into one. i have too much redneck in me lol. i do keep my property well maintained, but i love working on cars and i don't need anyone saying anything to me about it.

edit: plus i don't really like the fact that some of my money might be going into community stuff that a panel of politician-type people make decisions about.

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
We have an HOA in Va, its definately something I'm not used to. We had to get permission to put in an irrigation system and when we put in our front screen door it had to be a certain style and color.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ive got no issue with my HOA..its cheap (125 for the year) and they mostly dont mess with you. Dont paint your house easter egg colors, let the grass grow up to your ass or put in/remove any plants over 6' tall (that just requires walking over to the HOA president and have him sign a copy of what you want to do).

VictorySong

Established Member
The only good thing HOAs do is make middle class housewives think they are upper class. You wouldn't have to worry about Jesus moving into your "upper class" neighborhood and painting his house neon green if you weren't a ****ing middle class dickhead thinking you lived in Beverly Hills. I personally would never consider living in a HOA and have never had anyone park rusted shitboxes outside or do anything outrageous and I live in a Hispanic majority neighborhood. Don't try to act like a Rockefeller when you live in the ****ing ghetto and it won't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread