Z06...highway run

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
I'm well aware that the ZO6 doesn't have forged pistons,just forged rods. But how many pistons have you heard of the Vette cracking with a blower or nitrous? Me either. It's a stellar motor by any means and can handle alot of power. That's my point. I didn't come into this thread to argue which car is a better performance car,that question is silly. There were 6 pages of arguing before I even chimed in.

My point more or less is questioning the longevity of a blown LS6 in comparison to the longevity of the 03 Cobra's blown DOHC.

Also, dont get me wrong, I'm not saying the LS6 cant be reworked by the owner to support the wear and tear a supercharger produces will dish you out with, I'm just comparing what the good technisions at Ford and Chevy grant us with when that Cobra or Z06 pulls out of the factory.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
ttt...so i can regain some credibility around here.

This is the reason why I only race Saturn SL2s and Honda Civics. ;-)

Guys,

If you knew Scott you know this happened.

:thumbsup:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Ahh but less Cobra's purduced per year than Z06'es... Were not argueing 2v's, just like were not argueing C5 LS1's... Lets keep it to the Z06 and the Cobra.

I'm aware of that. But 28 fangs mentioned mustangs in general,so I responded in general.

My point more or less is questioning the longevity of a blown LS6 in comparison to the longevity of the 03 Cobra's blown DOHC.

In that case,Cobra hands down.

MUSTANGKL

Established Member
Nobody likes to talk about their engines going up in smoke! Have you ever been in a car with cast piston under boost just when it pings its not good I been there in a ls1 when it let go,If john still has the piston I will get a picture for you. There is a reason why all blower motors, turbo motors and d from the factory come with forged pistons. Just one ping under high boost levels will put a hole in that cast piston. So with cast pistons you will never be able to run as high of a boost as a motor with forged pistons thats a fact. Just ask any engine builder what a cast piston does under extreme pressure or even lots of NOS, he will tell you your just pushing your luck with a cast piston. end it now the ls1 or ls6 would have to be rebuilt to handle the boost levels the cobra motor can the way both come from the factory.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
Do you know whether the 2000 Cobra R has forged internals or not?

I dunno whether this was sarcasm or not? But my understanding was the R motor, lives on a forged crank, billet rods (carillo), and forged pistons- similar to the L's and now I'd imagine the (03) except for a diff compression ratio. (n/a vs. forced ind.) Many have called it the best factory (internals) motor, since the Zr1. However none were chevy owners, heh!

and the thing about handling 03 vs z06, I'd have to agree the z06 wins, however 00R vs. Z06 is another story.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
There is a reason why all blower motors, turbo motors and d from the factory come with forged pistons.

Tell that to Jack Roush and Steve Saleen.

and the thing about handling 03 vs z06, I'd have to agree the z06 wins, however 00R vs. Z06 is another story.

:thumbsup:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra

I dont know how much you trust MM&FF but they said they thought the 03 Cobra handled better than the R they tested back in 2000... :shrug:

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Good god, how the hell did this go 7 pages dude is putting 456/475 to the ground! The exhaust modded z06 is doing 425ish at the crank...How come 4 car lengths is not possible!

good kill!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Somewhere around page 2 or 3 SBC cleared everything up about his mods. We all just got taken off course talking about the differences between the 2 cars thats all.

MustangOne

Established Member
I had hoped to race one, but ended up buying one first. While my wife and I have not had the chance to grudge match the cars yet, the Z06 definitely feels stronger than our Roush S3 which is very close in performance to an '03 Cobra (probably opened a can of worms there:))

The main thing is that the Vette is easier to drive fast. This is because the controls are better - shifter/clutch. There is no delays.

I will share though that I got WASTED BAAAAD the other day in the Z06 by a very stock looking '85 Trans Am (think KITT). The thing had stock tires, wheels and smoked like he used a quart of oil in the romp.

I would have felt really bad about it had I been in the Stang:)

99SVTcobraVERT

01 s3 roush=360bhp or 365hp. making on average between 300-320rwhp. ive seen a convt and a coupe dyno at same time coupe was 318rwhp and convt was 311rwhp. 03 cobra= "390bhp" and making average 360rwhp-380rwhp bone stock. big difference.....

FLYNLO

Established Member
Good Kill, SBC!!!

Good kill, Scott. Don't doubt it for a minute. I can't believe I read(okay I skipped thru a lot of the BS) this whole thread. I finished 2 buckets of popcorn reading. This is some funny shit. Anyway, just to clear some stuff up....if y'all really care.

Ls6 does not have forged internals.

Exhaust gives hardly any gain in power.....the biggest bolt on power comes from headers and they are not cheap. About the most power you will see from a bolton ZO6 is 390rwhp....tehn you have to go power adder and/or heads and/or cam.

8psi(intercooled) is about all you would want to put on an LS6. 7psi would be more conservative. I know of a guy putting 10psi(590rwhp) thru his but he is on the ragged edge.

J-Rod

Established Member
Again, good kill, and yes this was a long read.

To back up FLY-N-Lo no the Ls6 doesn't have forged internals. Its a hypereutectic motor.

As for boost, well, the Z06 has too much compression to go shy high. But the highest numbers I am aware of has been JNATION. He had an EB 2002 Z06 w/ CNC heads and a smaller than stock (less lift, a bit more duration). He put on a D1SC and ran 10psi on an otherwise stock motor.

His car made 720RWHP in that state. But, the problem with blower cars is belt slippage. No one has a good method fo fixing that at this point. Of course I am presching to the chior here on that.

As for a Z06, a bolt on car will come in right around 390-400. Airbox is worth 10-15, headers are worth some, but on a stock car, no much since the cam hass no overlap. Exhaust is only worth about 7 over stock. Tuning is worth about 10HP at the most on stock car.

Heads and a cam, or just a cam is the biggest bang for the buck.

The highest packages for a Z06 right now are the LGM and Cartek pacakges. They dyno about 470-475RWHP for a car with H/C and headers. Several cars making those numbers are in the 10's.

The Magnusson packages from Lingenfelter are nice, and they actually make more Tq than most h/c packages. If you had someone who know how to drive one, it'd probably be about a 10 second ride....

Anyway, congrats...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Talk about a treasure trove of info....:lol:

I feel like I've been through about 47 lobotomies after reading all that....

All I can conclude is that 03CobraBro is a huge benchracing magazine ra(i)cer. Homeboy says Z06's are high 12 cars stock with a good driver...tells you how much he knows about american muscle. :rolleyes: Ever been to a track buddy? Yawn.

It's a shame this benchracing has become so prevalent. It's all very ricer. I prefer meeting up with a few friends that aren't brand whores, taking it to the streets and lettin em run. I've raced a couple dudes off this bored, and luckily they are cool enough to just let it be and shoot the shit after seein what the rides can do(even though they lost).

It's a shame the american car scene is degenerating into such a gay "well it better be faster with more displacement" "it cost more" "it has a blower" "Traction was unavailable" scene... :nono:

I don't bitch and moan that the Viper is faster 90% of the time. It just is. Fact of life. So what if it has more cubes or cost more. run what you brung chump...

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Good to see the Z06 crowd chime in...
Opposing viewpoints are always appreciated...

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by The DBK

All I can conclude is that 03CobraBro is a huge benchracing magazine ra(i)cer. Homeboy says Z06's are high 12 cars stock with a good driver...tells you how much he knows about american muscle. :rolleyes: Ever been to a track buddy? Yawn.

Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Iv heard of some Z06'es running low 12's stock, Iv heard of some stock Cobra's on the stock F1's also running low 12's stock. So its not too hard too beleive that the Cobra is as quick as the Z06.

I said high 12's did I? Or did ya just make that up so you'ed have something to say :rollseyes ...

And whats this homeboy bussiness? :shrug: You of all people tyring to say I sound like a ricer boy after saying something like that. :bored:

P.S. Yes I frequent the track quite often during the summer time. (none yet with the Cobra). Iv seen a few Z06'es and the best iv seen first hand is a 12.7. So I'm just taking your word that they are as quick as everyone is saying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread