Z06 is a 11.70 car best case scenario.

The Z06 can run a 11.70 all day, who can run an 11.50 all day and how? Pick an opt.

• 11.50 or better with a STOCK NONported Eaton pullied anyway.

Votes: 36 18.9%
  • 11.50 or better with a Steig 3 Eaton pullied anyway.

Votes: 58 30.5%
  • 11.50 or better with a Whipple 15 or less psi

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 11.50 or better with a Whipple 16 or more psi

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 11.50 or better with a KB 15 or less psi

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • 11.50 or better with a KB 16 or more psi

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • 11.5 or better with a StocK Eaton and NO2

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • 11.50 or better with a Steig 3 Eaton and NO2

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 11.50 or better with a Whipple and NO2

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • 11.50 or better with a KB and NO2

Votes: 19 10.0%

• Total voters

03EBZ06

IYAOYAS
Established Member
The problem is, at the track, if you run 11.49 and faster, you need a cage, and I'm pretty sure the 99% of the Z06 owners do not want to install a cage in their brand new car. Unless of course they know the tech very well, well enough to let them make few of those sub 11.49 passes.

I know when I made 11.3 pass, the tech director was on me as soon as I came back around to the staging lane and told me don't do it again or I'll be going home.

JUGRNAUT

Banned
TEABG said:
Can your kid sit in the back of the ZO6? In a accident would you want to be in the new Z06 or your COBRA?

sorry, i dont choose my sports car based on whether it has back seats or not.

StangJason

Established Member
phantasms said:
I said on LI...not SC. And as far as the track goes I have no problem comparing time slips with similar tires. There's zero point in going to the track together. We can compare DA's and the results.

But that will show the better driver which you very well may be.
That's the craziest statement I've ever heard! :nonono:

I've been to the track in the middle of the summer at night where the humidity was close to 100% with the temps well into the 80s and the track was slick from wrong wheel drives tracking water across the starting line and my car was running about a full half second slower in the 8th than it usually does. I understand you can't meet him to race but comparing timeslips is ludicrous all the same.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
TEABG said:
Can your kid sit in the back of the ZO6? In a accident would you want to be in the new Z06 or your COBRA?

A full sized adult can sit in the back of a z.... several of my freinds have been in the back of my vette... I would rather be in a cobra during the accident bc I would jump outa the back of my plane with no chute if I wrecked a new Z06 :cryying:

phantasms

Established Member
jbusmc1986 said:
A full sized adult can sit in the back of a z.... several of my freinds have been in the back of my vette... I would rather be in a cobra during the accident bc I would jump outa the back of my plane with no chute if I wrecked a new Z06 :cryying:

lol..I've done the same thing several times. It's really fun getting on it hard when they're just laying back there. I guess you feel the forces a lot more when you're not in a seat.

as far as accidents...i don't crash.

phantasms

Established Member
It was even funnier in the old Z because it was a standard type trunk. I'd roll up somewhere and two ladies would just pop out of my trunk. Onlookers couldn't tell that there's access to the trunk area from the cockpit of the car. Can't beat the looks on peoples faces when you pull that off. lol

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
i think with the riight driver, any of those senario's in the poll is possible. also needs slicks too.

cory

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
phantasms said:
It was even funnier in the old Z because it was a standard type trunk. I'd roll up somewhere and two ladies would just pop out of my trunk. Onlookers couldn't tell that there's access to the trunk area from the cockpit of the car. Can't beat the looks on peoples faces when you pull that off. lol

Agreed... thats what I got :rockon:

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
Snorman said:
Where are all these mid-120mph C6 Z06's?
I was out to dinner with some friends a few weeks ago. One of them is the "driver" for Cartek. He was at the Corvette event at Etown a few weeks ago. He told me there were three C6 Z06's, all running 118-120mph in the mid-high 12's...all day. Then I see one running, all day, at Cecil and it goes 119mph.
What gives? I can't attribute an 8 mph difference to driving, and it was good air at Etown and Cecil.
S.

Go to corvette forum and look up Ranger... 11.3x completely stock.... including tires. :idea:

DSharp

Established Member
Just to give some background on myself before I throw in my thoughts. I built a 97 Cobra to the tune of 420rwhp N/A via a Big Bore set up. I sold the car and am no on the list for a 2007 Z06. I hope that shows my neutral position.

First, I'd like to give my experience. I had a friend with a bone stock 2001 Z06 that dynoed 34x rwhp at the same day and shop as me. That same day I dynoed 400rwhp. Now that is a 60rwhp advantage I had plus I had 4.56 gears in the car and a higher rpm range than him. Now if we went to the 1/4 mile strip and raced I would rape him b/c he wasn't as experienced at drag racing. I probably put 4 cars on him due to launch and reaction time alone then run 3-4 tenths faster and even trap 3-4 mph faster. Now racing on the street with him where the launch wasn't a factor it was a different story. If we took off from a 45mph roll I could get a jump and he would reel me in via his 3rd gear and pass in 4th. Point here is there is a 60rwhp difference and only 340lbs difference between the cars so I should have had the advantage based on that; but I didn't. When I put together a model showing power average power under the curve / weight it told the story. Even with my agressive gearing I didn't have enough advantage with the gearing to overtake him from a rolling start to 120. So who's car is faster. I ran better 1/4 times but he ate my lunch on the street. I'd say my car was faster from 0-45, but his car was faster 45-top speed.

Now lets take that and apply it to a 2003+ Cobra and a new Z06. Now there is an 700ish (3050 to 3800 I'm estimating) pound weight disadvantage for the Cobra, but the Cobra has a much fatter torque curve than my anemic in comparison 1997. What I think this means is we can use a simpler comparison of peak numbers with the new Z06 and 2003+Cobra b/c the both have similar enough torque curves. So stopping here the 2003 + Cobra is at a 70 rwhp disadvantage. So a stock Z dynoing 450 rwhp is a match with a 520 rwhp Cobra? NO and here is why. First, both cars have enough torque in first gear to roast the tires so the level of acceleration here is defined by driver and tires. The cobra though shifts into 2nd much earlier leaving the Z with a huge torque advantage until it shifts into 2nd and the same routine happens when the Cobra hits 3rd. So if the cars are evenly powered power/lbs, then now the Cobra has a disadvantage due to gearing. It won't matter if the Cobra has 4.10s in it that earlier shift is killer since I don't think that off the line start should provide an advantage to either car. Then when the higher speeds come in we have aerodynamics so the faster the race goes to the more power the Cobra will have to have to hang. The conclusion I am making regarding this is that it will generally take a 550rwhp Cobra or more to hang with a new Z. I know some Cobras have mode producing much fatter torque curves than others so that will make a difference for sure in what peak number is needed.

One other thing. The comparisons I have heard on this board regarding 1/4 mile times talk about a stock Z06 and a drag prepped Cobra. "John Doe's cobra ran 11.1 @ 121 with only 510rwhp which is faster than a Z". Yeah that is b/c John Doe launched on slicks and probably lightened his car. Not a fair comparison at all. Even with that John Doe would have his butt handed to him on a race where he couldn't benefit from slicks.

Bottom line if you are going to compare the cars, do so with both cars at full factory weight and on true street tires (not drag radials) I would venture a guess that it will take close to 600rwhp for a Cobra to run with the new Z if he were also on his factory tires. Talk about a cloud of smoke!!! Even with 315 street (non drag radial) street tires it would take at least 550rwhp. Now if a Z has the tune and torque management turned off like Phantasm and gets rwhp in the 480s watch out. That game is best only played by the 600rwhp KB/Whipple/Nitrous boys.

Last edited:

C6 Z06

Established Member
DSharp said:
Just to give some background on myself before I throw in my thoughts. I built a 97 Cobra to the tune of 420rwhp N/A via a Big Bore set up. I sold the car and am no on the list for a 2007 Z06. I hope that shows my neutral position.

First, I'd like to give my experience. I had a friend with a bone stock 2001 Z06 that dynoed 34x rwhp at the same day and shop as me. That same day I dynoed 400rwhp. Now that is a 60rwhp advantage I had plus I had 4.56 gears in the car and a higher rpm range than him. Now if we went to the 1/4 mile strip and raced I would rape him b/c he wasn't as experienced at drag racing. I probably put 4 cars on him due to launch and reaction time alone then run 3-4 tenths faster and even trap 3-4 mph faster. Now racing on the street with him where the launch wasn't a factor it was a different story. If we took off from a 45mph roll I could get a jump and he would reel me in via his 3rd gear and pass in 4th. Point here is there is a 60rwhp difference and only 340lbs difference between the cars so I should have had the advantage based on that; but I didn't. When I put together a model showing power average power under the curve / weight it told the story. Even with my agressive gearing I didn't have enough advantage with the gearing to overtake him from a rolling start to 120. So who's car is faster. I ran better 1/4 times but he ate my lunch on the street. I'd say my car was faster from 0-45, but his car was faster 45-top speed.

Now lets take that and apply it to a 2003+ Cobra and a new Z06. Now there is an 700ish (3050 to 3800 I'm estimating) pound weight disadvantage for the Cobra, but the Cobra has a much fatter torque curve than my anemic in comparison 1997. What I think this means is we can use a simpler comparison of peak numbers with the new Z06 and 2003+Cobra b/c the both have similar enough torque curves. So stopping here the 2003 + Cobra is at a 70 rwhp disadvantage. So a stock Z dynoing 450 rwhp is a match with a 520 rwhp Cobra? NO and here is why. First, both cars have enough torque in first gear to roast the tires so the level of acceleration here is defined by driver and tires. The cobra though shifts into 2nd much earlier leaving the Z with a huge torque advantage until it shifts into 2nd and the same routine happens when the Cobra hits 3rd. So if the cars are evenly powered power/lbs, then now the Cobra has a disadvantage due to gearing. It won't matter if the Cobra has 4.10s in it that earlier shift is killer since I don't think that off the line start should provide an advantage to either car. Then when the higher speeds come in we have aerodynamics so the faster the race goes to the more power the Cobra will have to have to hang. The conclusion I am making regarding this is that it will generally take a 550rwhp Cobra or more to hang with a new Z. I know some Cobras have mode producing much fatter torque curves than others so that will make a difference for sure in what peak number is needed.

One other thing. The comparisons I have heard on this board regarding 1/4 mile times talk about a stock Z06 and a drag prepped Cobra. "John Doe's cobra ran 11.1 @ 121 with only 510rwhp which is faster than a Z". Yeah that is b/c John Doe launched on slicks and probably lightened his car. Not a fair comparison at all. Even with that John Doe would have his butt handed to him on a race where he couldn't benefit from slicks.

Bottom line if you are going to compare the cars, do so with both cars at full factory weight and on true street tires (not drag radials) I would venture a guess that it will take close to 600rwhp for a Cobra to run with the new Z if he were also on his factory tires. Talk about a cloud of smoke!!! Even with 315 street (non drag radial) street tires it would take at least 550rwhp. Now if a Z has the tune and torque management turned off like Phantasm and gets rwhp in the 480s watch out. That game is best only played by the 600rwhp KB/Whipple/Nitrous boys.

I would love to see how much RWHP it would take to run and beat my 520 rwhp C6 Z. To me, the car still feels slow! :-D

1FSTSL65

Established Member

The new Z's are 3132.
The 03/04 Cobra's are 3665
(Both w/o driver).

So the REAL difference (not guessing) is actually 533 lbs, not 700.

Granted, thats still a large difference, but let's not get to excessive.

IMO, a CPIE 03/04 Cobra can't hang with the new Z, MAYBE a ported one with a good driver.

I think a whipple/KB pushing decent numbers (575+) will take the Z by a car or two.

phantasms

Established Member
Every person to weigh the new Z has come out around 3050 - 3080. Overstating weight and understating hp is a damn good thing.

I still figure ~100rwhp difference to be more or less even on a highway pull.

So what does it take to bring a cobra to 560 at the wheels?

crittel

Established Member
1FSTSL65 said:
The new Z's are 3132.
The 03/04 Cobra's are 3665
(Both w/o driver).

So the REAL difference (not guessing) is actually 533 lbs, not 700.

Granted, thats still a large difference, but let's not get to excessive.

IMO, a CPIE 03/04 Cobra can't hang with the new Z, MAYBE a ported one with a good driver.

I think a whipple/KB pushing decent numbers (575+) will take the Z by a car or two.

The other big difference is a new Z is priced $65,000 while a 03/04 Cobra is priced at around $30,000. I guess if I had $65,000 I would probably buy a Cobra and then sink the left over $35,000 into it. I think that would then be a fair race. :)

Gloveperson

Established Member
crittel said:
The other big difference is a new Z is priced $65,000 while a 03/04 Cobra is priced at around $30,000. I guess if I had $65,000 I would probably buy a Cobra and then sink the left over $35,000 into it. I think that would then be a fair race. :)

:xpl: :xpl: :xpl:

Did you take Ricer 101?

crittel

Established Member
I'm just saying there is nothing to argue about. A ZO6 is in a different class than a Cobra. It should beat them all day long for the price. It's a stupid arguement.

crittel

Established Member
Gloveperson said:
:xpl: :xpl: :xpl:

Did you take Ricer 101?

I thought about taking that, but I changed my mind. I bought a brand new STI for like $33,000 but still got spanked by Cobras and Camaros. Man, I should have just got a Cobra for about $10,000 less. What a freaking waste of money.
Oh, Did you take that class, because you're the one driving the ricer?

Last edited:

Gloveperson

Established Member
crittel said:
I thought about taking that, but I changed my mind. I bought a brand new STI for like $33,000 but still got spanked by Cobras and Camaros. Man, I should have just got a Cobra for about $10,000 less. What a freaking waste of money.
Oh, Did you take that class, because you're the one driving the ricer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy is too much.

Users who are viewing this thread