ZL-1 Killed on Interstate with 2012 GT

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I rolled by a new ZL-1 this morning on the interstate in traffic. He immediately came after me. After a little weaving around traffic cleared and he glued himself to my bumper. I downshifted twice to 3rd and we both dropped the hammer. It really was not even close. He fell back about 3 lengths and just could not keep up. I ran it out through the top of 4th and then pulled into my lane for the exit. I guess I must have pissed him off, because I got the full ricer fly-by. LOL.

Pretty weak sauce, if you ask me. No traction advantage here...I just simply overpowered (or outdrove) him.

Mike

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
maybe he wasnt tryin?

ZL1's are not quick/fast. They are not 03/04 Cobras or Shelby's. So a bolt-on 5.0 beating one is believable.

Op good kill.

What color? I saw a black with black wheels at NPR on Weds running N/T. Guess he didn't want anyone to know how slow it was?

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
what form of f/i do you have

I don't.

I have a bolt-on car...with 3.31s.

maybe he wasnt tryin?

Oh, he was trying for sure. The guy saw me and honed right in on me. He had to do some serious weaving to get on my bumper. And, it was pretty clear he was 100% on it from the nose up attitude of the car and the richness of the exhaust.

Mike

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I think one of those ran a 13.6 here which is about what a happy bone stock 5.0 S197 does with a good driver.

FantaBoat

Established Member
I've had people take off on me while behind them (given not tailgaiting like this guy you mention) but if someone in front of you takes off while you are in cruising gear, it could be an easy 3 cars before you get in gear and going.

Basically my point is that a race like you described is not really indicative of how it would go with both cars lined up.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Aed tuned?! Lol

I believe it!

Hey mike you should switch to the corn, shaun's corn tune is nasty!

Good kill!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I think one of those ran a 13.6 here which is about what a happy bone stock 5.0 S197 does with a good driver.

agreed. MY 13' ran 13.63 so far, and that was lifting to shift. I have been working on no lift shifting so that should cut another thenth or 2 off my time next time im at the track.

Established Member
Nice kill!!

The guys over at Camaro5 thought this car was going to trap in the upper 120s back in Nov lol.

KCRN12

Established Member
I've had people take off on me while behind them (given not tailgaiting like this guy you mention) but if someone in front of you takes off while you are in cruising gear, it could be an easy 3 cars before you get in gear and going.

Basically my point is that a race like you described is not really indicative of how it would go with both cars lined up.

Exactly what I was thinking. If it had been side by side with horn beeps for when to go I'd say good kill. But the way it was described, the other guy had no idea when it was gonna start.

teamstorm02

Established Member
I killed one this weekend with my 2012 GT as well. Only by about half a car tho. His license plate said "pony fed" I just laughed. My buddy that's a Chevy nutswinger wouldn't believe I took down there "ultimate camaro"

Good kill. Wouldn't exactly say the ZL1 is not a fast car. I mean supposedly it can run a 12.1 - 12.3 in the 1/4. That's no slouch to me but today he ran into a faster mustang. :beer:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member

This x2. When you line up side by side then I'd like to hear that kill story

Exactly what I was thinking. If it had been side by side with horn beeps for when to go I'd say good kill. But the way it was described, the other guy had no idea when it was gonna start.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread