Zl1 you are done!!!

Kewlv8

Established Member
Plenty of guys making big power on stock internals with no issues. They are a well put together setup overall, just need some more oomph, but they can easily handle it.

LSA has been out for quite some time in the CTS-V. ~650Rwhp is the safe limit on stock non-forged pistons. Of course, you can build over that and roll the dice, just like all the GT500 builds over 800Rwhp.

big hammer

Banned
zl1's can run. there are a few in the 11's bone stock now with trap speeds ranging from 118-121 mph. heat effects them HUGE. GM's tuning has been increasingly conservative since the A6 came out. in fact the lsa in the zl1 has more conservative tuning than the ctsv for some reason. they seem to 60' very well on stock tires (guys running back to back 1.7's) but in the summer heat they pull timing like mad after the 1\8th. there was even a 12.0? @ 112 mph run. wtf!! lol

i'm a gm guy but the tuning and cooling on the zl1 is sad.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
zl1's can run. there are a few in the 11's bone stock now with trap speeds ranging from 118-121 mph. heat effects them HUGE. GM's tuning has been increasingly conservative since the A6 came out. in fact the lsa in the zl1 has more conservative tuning than the ctsv for some reason. they seem to 60' very well on stock tires (guys running back to back 1.7's) but in the summer heat they pull timing like mad after the 1\8th. there was even a 12.0? @ 112 mph run. wtf!! lol

i'm a gm guy but the tuning and cooling on the zl1 is sad.

Proof?

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
Good kill man, the camaro production now shouldn't be a disappointment to people, since they have been a joke for quite some time now

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
it's all on c5 in the zl1 forum. most have vids and slips if you wish to go look.

There's only one on that site that claimed 11's stock that I could find and after all the lies from that forum and the fact that guy had been talking about obtaining a tune and other mods in previous threads he posted before that one I have hard time believing he's stock.

big hammer

Banned
There's only one on that site that claimed 11's stock that I could find and after all the lies from that forum and the fact that guy had been talking about obtaining a tune and other mods in previous threads he posted before that one I have hard time believing he's stock.

yeah there it is. denial based on the cars manufacturer.

big hammer

Banned
Ran a 11.98 yesterday - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com -- 11.98 @ 116.98

Ran a 11.77 at 118mph today, stock - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com 11.77 @ 118.67

Cooler weather = great drag times - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com --- 12.0 @ 120 and 12.1 @ 121

there have been quite a few guys bust low 12's. magazines in cooler weather got low 12's. it was only a matter of time until somebody shaved a few more tenths off with good driving.

however in summer the car is a massive turd. the heat issue is inexcusable IMO.

big hammer

Banned
Hey Big hammer - Good to see you here too.

Here is a link to the ZL1 that ran close to the 11's stock, @ 121.

Cooler weather = great drag times - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Pretty impressive if you ask me.

hey guy! i was actually starting to get very disappointed in this car through summer when guys were trapping as low as 111 mph! that's pathetic! at least guys have figured out the problem and I hope GM takes the proper steps to correct it.

a 2300 blower would be a nice start....

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
hey guy! i was actually starting to get very disappointed in this car through summer when guys were trapping as low as 111 mph! that's pathetic! at least guys have figured out the problem and I hope GM takes the proper steps to correct it.

a 2300 blower would be a nice start....

I agree.

Maybe we will see more out of the next ZL1. More cooling, bigger blower, that would be a mean machine.

Klay

Established Member
yeah there it is. denial based on the cars manufacturer.

I also have a hard time believing he was stock given he was talking about modding the car previously. Some things don't add up with his story. You can believe him at face value but when there is evidence that points to him not being 100% truthful i dont see how you can assume anyone who doubts as a GM hater.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I also have a hard time believing he was stock given he was talking about modding the car previously. Some things don't add up with his story. You can believe him at face value but when there is evidence that points to him not being 100% truthful i dont see how you can assume anyone who doubts as a GM hater.

Thank you!

Husky44

Established Member
First: GREAT kill, OP!!!!

Second: Not a hijack, but a minor detour... How does an ignorant Mustang guy recognize these ZL1s? What are their distinguishing features? I have a hard time telling the Camaro's apart unless I can see the right rear corner to see if it says "SS".

Can't get any of them to line up with me, but still trying. Not even sure if there's a ZL1 in town, but I'd like to find out.

earl lee

Established Member
First: GREAT kill, OP!!!!

Second: Not a hijack, but a minor detour... How does an ignorant Mustang guy recognize these ZL1s? What are their distinguishing features? I have a hard time telling the Camaro's apart unless I can see the right rear corner to see if it says "SS".

Can't get any of them to line up with me, but still trying. Not even sure if there's a ZL1 in town, but I'd like to find out.

Best way to spot a ZL1 is the same way you spot a 2013 gt500, look for quad exhaust. Also look for a lip decklid spoiler. Tires out back are also massive.

Telling a SS from a v6 is ALOT harder. I know a guy with a vert SS and the thing looks like a v6, minus the SS on the rear corner and his AM wagon wheels. He has a magnaflow exhaust on it and it is still to quiet. Low rpms sounds like a 6 cylinder.

I also find it hard to tell the difference between the v6 stang and gt stang now. They pretty much look the same also.

Bmr4life

Established Member
Same here.

I look for fog lights and badges, but both of these can easily be changed. I try looking out for other 5.0s and always snicker when I see one that says GT (poor 2010). I also wonder how many people don't know what my badge-less gt/cs is.

big hammer

Banned

i agree. and especially how his trap speed is around what other stock zl1's are running it must be modded. and seeing how 100% of people who simply ask about modding their cars go through with it that is also a big hole in the "it's stock" theory.

Last edited:

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
i agree. and especially how his trap speed is around what other stock zl1's are running it must be modded. and seeing how 100% of people who simply ask about modding their cars go through with it that is also a big hole in the "it's stock" theory.

Now you're using your head. :thumbsup:

Kewlv8

Established Member

It really doesn't matter anyway if no other stock ZL1's are coming close. It is a hero time, a glory run, a unicorn. Every car has them, but only the truly mis-informed will claim the glory run as 'expected' times. I guess the ZL1 guys need something to hold onto until that pig loses 250lbs and adds 100 more HP.

Users who are viewing this thread