Terminator VS GT500

MurphinAintEasy

Established Member
I currently have a 2005 GT with bolt-ons. I have decided to stop modding it in the pursuit of big HP numbers. I'm in the Army and am going to Iraq in July. When I get back I want either a 03-04 Cobra or a 07-09 GT500, got any insight?

cbr repsol

Established Member
both cars perform very well with mods. I say drive both of them and see what you like better. My personally im in love with the 03/04 for life.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
By the looks of your avatar, you've already decided......:lol:

Post this thread in the Terminator Forum, and the majority of your responses will be for the Terminator. Post it again in the Shelby Forum and the VAST majority of your responses will be for the GT500. The GT500 is a newer, better platform than the 03/04' Cobra. But also more money.......

The nice thing about this site is that it provides the most complete, thorough compilation of information aout these two cars in existence. Start searching and start reading my friend.....The answer is right here on SVTP.

MurphinAintEasy

Established Member
The Terminator is more affordable, so that is always a bonus for me. I understand that the Shelby probably has more power potential, due to displacement. How much power can they make on stock motor, without swapping internals?

snakezilla

Established Member
and one more[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exuUS4_ckZw"]YouTube- H2H Ep5, GT500 Vs. SVT Cobra[/nomedia]

they are both great cars, but to me the terminator is way more fun to drive.

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
If you have the dough get the GT500. If you're just looking for alot of power in some what affordable way (in terms of comparing with the gt500) svt cobra will be cheaper. Not to mention you can buy a super nice svt cobra for 30K and probably be already making over 800+++ RWHP. Or you can get one for 23-25K with a ts and make 600-700 and still have alot of money to play with or use it on something else :):rolling:

MurphinAintEasy

Established Member
Thanks for the video, I've never seen those before. I'm really leaning more towards getting a Terminator. How much HP can you make on the stock motor in the 03/04?

2003_svtcobra

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdG8Q66lSE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- New Engine for the Shelby GT800R[/nomedia]

GT500 goes boom with only 800hp.

i would get the cobra there good for over 1000hp

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm a HUGE 03/04' guy and have had my Terminator for 7 years now with no plans to sell. But it's pretty tough to sell that the 03/04' is a "better" car than a GT500. Maybe better looking to some, maybe a little lighter to others. But the platform and drivetrain of the GT500 is more technologically advanced than the Terminator, period. Bigger motor, bigger blower, more durable rear end setup, better clutch (after 07'!), more driver room in the cockpit, etc.

To me, if you take the styling preferences and sentimental value away, this becomes a money issue....If ya got the $$$, Shelby would probably be the way to go

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I'm a HUGE 03/04' guy and have had my Terminator for 7 years now with no plans to sell. But it's pretty tough to sell that the 03/04' is a "better" car than a GT500. Maybe better looking to some, maybe a little lighter to others. But the platform and drivetrain of the GT500 is more technologically advanced than the Terminator, period. Bigger motor, bigger blower, more durable rear end setup, better clutch (after 07'!), more driver room in the cockpit, etc.

To me, if you take the styling preferences and sentimental value away, this becomes a money issue....If ya got the $$$, Shelby would probably be the way to go

Stated perfectly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree with Dwight's comments. His last post hit the nail square on the head.

I'll add that there are definitely reasons why some might prefer the Terminator. Body style with its subtle but muscular look. Some like the IRS. Or the lower price of admission. And there are reasons why some might prefer the GT500. When all is said and done, in many cases its a money decision. I have to believe many who buy a Terminator or a used GT500 buy it as a second, weekend car. So cost is a big factor. If money isn't an issue then IMO it often boils down to a personal styling preference.

skate47e

Established Member
go with the terminator. You've got to. its such a meaner car. and you can find lots of used ones with tons of mods done. 03-04 all the way!!

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I drove my first GT500 coupe today (07). Very impressive feel. Very nice ride. We own a 03 Cobra and a 07 GT conv. I must admit I did like the new GT 500 it felt very smooth and easy to handle. But the 03 Cobra has an attraction all its own. I wish I could be one of the lucky few who own both. I just can't part with the 03!

monX

Established Member
I have to agree with Dwight's comments. His last post hit the nail square on the head.

I'll add that there are definitely reasons why some might prefer the Terminator. Body style with its subtle but muscular look. Some like the IRS. Or the lower price of admission. And there are reasons why some might prefer the GT500. When all is said and done, in many cases its a money decision. I have to believe many who buy a Terminator or a used GT500 buy it as a second, weekend car. So cost is a big factor. If money isn't an issue then IMO it often boils down to a personal styling preference.

I agree.

I personality think the 03/04 is much better then the 07-09 GT500, the 2010 GT500 is a different story

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
YouTube- New Engine for the Shelby GT800R

GT500 goes boom with only 800hp.

i would get the cobra there good for over 1000hp

lol.

You do know that people have burnt up pistons in Terminators at close to stock hp levels right?

Don't kind yourself into thinking that the Terminator longblock is better than a GT500's because you would defiantly be wrong. Terminator heads don't have shit on GT500 heads, and about the only thing mechanically superior inside a Terminator motor is the rods. My biggest problem with the GT500 is the electric TB, and complex PCM.

Still I like Terminators better than 07-09 GT500, but I would rather have an 2010 GT500 over a Terminator. I just never liked the look of the original S197's in any factory Ford forum.

i8urSS

Established Member
i would go with the terminator. first off its named "terminator" its got alot more history, its iconic, and just all around looks better. either car is capable of way more power than you'll ever need. but the 03/04 terminated the gm competition while the shelby is ushering it back in. just saying

Users who are viewing this thread