09/11 Anniversary

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Was in college, computer programing class to be exact. Someone came in and said we were under attack and that school was closing. The drive home was surreal. Never thought I'd see something like that in my life. Crazy to think some people live in places where stuff like that happens weekly.

jrandy

Established Member
8th grade the tvs didnt work at school so I didnt really know how bad it was. When a buddy and I got home and turned the tv on the first thing we saw was someone jumping. We both were silent and thats what really hit me, I remember everything about that day. The mad run for gas, and just uncertainty in general.

I was in 8th grade as well. Since I was on the West Coast, I hadn't left for school yet. I remember popping a VHS tape in and recording the news broadcast. I still have the tape somewhere at my house.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Definitely a somber day. It's strange how the years are wearing on and how as they do you can more and more see the long term historical impact that day has had on the world.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
junior year in high school in ROTC class at a well known military school in Virginia and i walked into the room and everyone was in total shock looking at the TV sitting on a desk.

never forget. 9/11/01.

Prototype007

Established Member
8th grade the tvs didnt work at school so I didnt really know how bad it was. When a buddy and I got home and turned the tv on the first thing we saw was someone jumping. We both were silent and thats what really hit me, I remember everything about that day. The mad run for gas, and just uncertainty in general.

Something else I remember about that day was when gas jumped up really high and has stayed that way since.

wildaries83

Established Member
Very interesting day for me I must say. I was in the military at this time. I was in "Tech School". We were in formation and marching back to the dorms to eat lunch. We were probably 400 FT away from our dorms when the street was flooded by MTL. They were all shouting to run and get into the dorms. No one had any idea what was going on. We went straight into a lockdown with no knowledge of what was going on. Finally using radio/computers and such we found out what had happened. We remained on lockdown and could not come out of the rooms/dorms till we heard the President speak. Don't think I will ever forget that day.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
I had been in the AF for 2 years. I was nuclear missile support equip mechanic at FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne WY. I remember our NCOIC coming out of his office and saying that a plane had just hit the tower. I had just signed the ppwk to move on base in a really nice base house but we went into threatcon D and the entire base closed down, so no go. I was taken from my AFSC and placed into security forces for what I was told would be a temporary assignment ended up doing that at least part time for the remainder of my enlistment. Remember it like it was yesterday.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I was driving to a DDS appointment when I heard the news. Oddly fortunate as otherwise I would have been in a landmark NYC building that morning. When the second plane hit I knew it would be a day that would never be forgotten in my family. My wife's brother was a trader at Cantor, we knew he was in the building, we didn't know what happened to him for three days.

This is always a hard day in my house.

http://youtu.be/j71KQn09Zmk

Last edited:

Street Jesus

Practically A God!
Established Member
I was 21 and woke up unusually early (pacific time) that day. I turned on the TV just as the stations were starting to report the first plane, and watched it all in horror. I will never forget!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Damn this was a hard thread to read.

I was a senior in high school. My ex said something about a plane crash when we were walking into school, but then I got on the bus to go bowling and missed the second plane. Mostly what I remember about that day is how quiet the halls and classrooms were...we just walked silently from class to class to resume watching the news coverage.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I was in my senior year in HS. Announcement came over the intercom from our principle. set up tv's in major areas around the school to watch. I remember going to a payphone and calling my recruiter asking if I could leave as soon as I could.

For the past 3 years since, I have participated in a 9/11 memorial we do down here with a service. I have a flag in my garage that shows all 2977 names on it. Still makes me pause when i look at it.

Let us not forget about the Benghazi attack a couple years ago on 9/11.

And remember those who answered the call and said "we will not go quietly without a fight!"

149si2v.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
I was driving to a DDS appointment when I heard the news. Oddly fortunate as otherwise I would have been in a landmark NYC building that morning. When the second plane hit I knew it would be a day that would never be forgotten in my family. My wife's brother was a trader at Cantor, we knew he was in the building, we didn't know what happened to him for three days.

This is always a hard day in my house.

http://youtu.be/j71KQn09Zmk

So does that mean that her brother made it out OK? Sorry to hear that about your family.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
no he didn't, we were informed on the 14th that his body had been found.

:( so sorry to hear Hopefully the day passes as light as possible, the same goes for any other family that lost a hero on this day.

I was in middle school attending home economics. Never forget the sight on the TV and the pictures from my great grandmother in jersey city. Her apartment had a front seat view to this hell....

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Junior in high school and heard my history teacher scuttle around and said that one had been hit. I didn't realize the size of the towers and thought it was a smaller plane, until the 2nd plane hit. I thought about leaving school, but sat and watched the people jumping out of the buildings and the total chaos that was going on. It sinks in harder every year on what happened, and how many people were affected.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
being on the west coast it was pretty early for us. i was getting ready to head out to work as i had just started teaching maybe a week before. my wife was in the babys room getting her dressed and watching the news and told me a plane hit the wtc. i walked in and saw the smoking building and thought it was just a very unfortunate plane accident and rushed out the door. i didnt hear about it being suspected terrorism till a little while after i got to work. maybe on the way on the radio, dont recall. i remember the school administration asking us not to discuss it with the kids (middle school). we really didnt get the full gravity of the events till later in the day since we were in the classroom and somewhat disconnected with the outside world.

had i actually known what was going on while i was still at home i probably would have been very late to work that day. i would have been glued to the news..
and back then we didnt have internet in the classroom yet. it came later in the year coincidentally. also didnt have texting on cell phones let alone any kind of internet.

and then it took a few days for the news to really sink in. then i thought, we're going to war..

Something else I remember about that day was when gas jumped up really high and has stayed that way since.

not hear. once i heard that it was suspected terrorism i expected gas prices to skyrocket so i ran to the gas station at lunch (noon PST) to fill my car up. i didnt know we were supposed to check out if we left :bash: and got a little "reprimand" for it. days later the gas prices were still the same and i remember :bash: myself for running out to get gas. i do remember gas being super cheap back then. it may have been that Christmas or the year before that gas even dropped to below $1 a gallon for the first time in years... for about two weeks. i had a honda at the time. now i have two blown V8s and get piss poor mpg and gas is consistently over $4 a gallon here :bored:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It's mind-boggling to stand there and think that the South Tower stood in that spot… That forever more that spot on Earth will be known as "Ground Zero"...

vtHDIRJ.png

Stateguy

Established Member
I was in Spanish class when the teacher stopped class and informed us there had been an accident with a plane crashing into a building. I didn't think to much of since there had been a similar incident before. Once the second plane hit the school immediately closed and everyone says sent home. I remember watching the TV for hours till my parents forced me to turn it off and go outside.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I was active duty Marine Corps. Was a normal day at work until some of my junior Marines came running up telling me a plane hit the world trade center. I thought they were joking and as I went to the tv I was expecting to see a small plane maybe. then just as I was walking away they second plane hit. Base went into lockdown and everyone was trying to get ammo from us (Ordnance Marine) getting calls from all kinds of Generals and what not. Was a long day.

Currently in Florida training (as a civilian) with a bunch of young Marines and Sailors and its weird that they were all 7-8 years old when this happened. Only the instructors and myself can clearly recall that day.

Users who are viewing this thread