2.9 Whipple Dyno Results

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Wasn't trying to start any kind of debate on bypassing the heat exchanger or your product at all.

It's a proven fact these cars need to run "cold" to run the best ET's they can. Now how you go about doing it is the owners decision. Me and most every single other serious 03/04 Cobra owner uses ICE only at the Strip. Why? Because it's the proven way to run and get the most out of the car. We want the IAT's as cold as possible not just to make sure timing isn't pulled but to help with a little more hp also.

I'm putting a 5 Gallon Cell in my trunk with it's own submerged pump. It will sit in the spare tire spot. Total cost is actually very cheap. I can still use the H/E but I'll more than likely put valves in to bypass it at the track. Then run things as normal on the street but with the resevoir still in the trunk. Before I race I'll add at least 2 bags of ice into the resevoir with a cool motor and a cool blower.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Wouldnt ice mess up the intercooler pump? Or does it melt all the way before it can go through the system?

It won't hurt a thing at all and yes it melts before going through. Every once in a while it will get some air in the system and the pump will cavitate which causes the water to stop circulating (in the pits only). Then you just take it for a short drive around the pits and it'll start working again every time. You can prime it a couple of different ways but a short drive is the easiest and has worked for me every time.

I did a port for a guy that never paid attention to cooling his car down on an 03/04. Before the port he ran 12.0's and after he ran 12.0's. Worked with him on his tune for a while and he still ran 12.0's. Anyways now he cools his car down and pretty sure blower only he's running faster than 11.50's with the same exact setup. If you guys want to run as fast as the car can, you gotta keep them cool. I can't wait for some of you to start doing it and really finding out what they will do.:rockon: It's a job to get one of these cool and run it at the track.

svt1111

Established Member
Decent numbers man, now how about some details and pictures of your 86 GT? ;-)

1986 GT, 40,321 miles, unmolested, 5 speed, 3.08/8.8 rear, A/C, 140 MPH speedo, crank windows, gray cloth interior and get this: ITS FOR SALE!

017.jpg

016.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

svt1111

Established Member
how much boost is that making? i'm making 625rwhp/615rwtq with a tvs and the stock tb at 16lbs. i'd think a whipple ought to get you into the 700+ range...

I believe it is making in the neighborhood of 18 psi. Keep in mind, this was only a preliminary, base canned tune. So all in all, very promising under the circumstances. The HP flattened out on top so I have reason to believe there is an opportunity to add more timing across the top of the curve, but Lund will be the ulitmate judge of that.

Like I said before in my original post, I'll take it to the track once the cage is in and my safety gear is in compliance. The trap speed will show everyone what kind of power the car is making.

Strongly considering switching to 3.73's before running her at the track as well :coolman: These 4.10's seem to decrease the amount of torque multiplication at higher speeds given the relatively high torque the motor produces. Zings the motor through the power band a little too quickly to be efficient I think. Probably the reason why cars with big gear dyno less????

Willie2

Established Member
how tall of a tire are you running?? i'm running a 28.8, and with my 3:73's i'm right at the top of 4th crossing the line

GreggsSVT

Established Member
Who are you useing to do the cage or are you doing a bolt in one?
I guess Mass. diesel bought a dyno, I remember they used to go to Mike Dez at one time.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I used a guy in NH and he did a kick @ss job.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

^Wasn't trying to start any kind of debate on bypassing the heat exchanger or your product at all.

It's a proven fact these cars need to run "cold" to run the best ET's they can. Now how you go about doing it is the owners decision. Me and most every single other serious 03/04 Cobra owner uses ICE only at the Strip. Why? Because it's the proven way to run and get the most out of the car. We want the IAT's as cold as possible not just to make sure timing isn't pulled but to help with a little more hp also.

I'm putting a 5 Gallon Cell in my trunk with it's own submerged pump. It will sit in the spare tire spot. Total cost is actually very cheap. I can still use the H/E but I'll more than likely put valves in to bypass it at the track. Then run things as normal on the street but with the resevoir still in the trunk. Before I race I'll add at least 2 bags of ice into the resevoir with a cool motor and a cool blower.

No debate. A cooler air charge is better. It's just a matter of what each individual needs are. I just wanted to point out what we have been successful doing without having to ice it down. No doubt at all that a cooler air charge into the chamber is a plus and a five gallon cell full of cold water over the rear wheels can certainly help with a cool air charge and a nice launch! :beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
No debate. A cooler air charge is better. It's just a matter of what each individual needs are. I just wanted to point out what we have been successful doing without having to ice it down. No doubt at all that a cooler air charge into the chamber is a plus and a five gallon cell full of cold water over the rear wheels can certainly help with a cool air charge and a nice launch! :beer:

:beer:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Well boys, finally had a chance to get her on the dyno. Wanted to make sure the A/F was good, and was curious about the HP with the preliminary Lund tune.

First, want to thank Scott at Massdiesel for all his install help, and use of his Dynojet.

The first hit, the car made 641/599. This run was shut down at 5,800 rpm, as the Wideband shot out of the exhaust and we didn't know it did, we just saw the A/F go LEAN so we shut it down. Made another hit right after that, within about a minute, 618/588. Heat soak was pulling timing like crazy.

Let her cool for about an hour, and made 647/615. We pulled her to 6,200 rpm. HP was still climbing, but not much, not worth hammering it higher. Probably would have only made a few HP more if we revved it higher anyway.

Very happy with the preliminary tune from Lund. A/F was nice and fat and safe, with the leanest being 11.50 across the board up top of the tach. Not sure what the total timing is but I'm anxious to get into it more.

Soon, we will be getting the car tuned for max power. Right now, I am running 4.10 gears which will lower the HP you see on the dyno a little bit.

Toward the end of next week, the car will be receiving a roll bar, then it will have to prove itself on the track, which is, and always has been the real measure of a car's performance with me. I think it should do well though.:coolman:

You have just about what I plan on doing in a couple of weeks. I don't like any of the axlebacks especially rolled tips. I was going with the o/r x-pipe with the stock mufflers along with the 2.9 Whipple, 80#FI's, JLT CAI but stay with the stock throttle body.

I am past the point of needing to be heard a mile away. I think teh twin screw could be heard better. How much louder is your combo over stock?

svt1111

Established Member
how tall of a tire are you running?? i'm running a 28.8, and with my 3:73's i'm right at the top of 4th crossing the line

I run a 28" ET Street bias ply. Still had a few hundred RPM to go when I ran the pulley and tune setup at 124 mph. Doubtful about having enough RPM to cross the traps now.

Who are you useing to do the cage or are you doing a bolt in one?
I guess Mass. diesel bought a dyno, I remember they used to go to Mike Dez at one time.

DMC Racing in Halifax, MA is doing the cage. I spoke with Dennis last week about it. Should be in the shop late this week, or early next, either way, whenever he gets to it is okay with me. Then I'm having it painted semi-gloss black, and tinting the windows as well.

Massdiesel bought a portable DynoJet last year. He has a full schedule already this year doing various gas and diesel events around the country. He will be the exclusive dyno of Fun Ford Weekend or whatever they are calling it now, held at New England Dragway this August.

I used a guy in NH and he did a kick @ss job.

Looks great Jake!:beer:

Jesus, that car is beautiful, brought a tear to my eye to see a car like that :beer:

Thanks man! Drove it on a 4 hr. cruise yesterday with a bunch of other 4 eyes. Ran mint. S-L-O-W, but mint.

You have just about what I plan on doing in a couple of weeks. I don't like any of the axlebacks especially rolled tips. I was going with the o/r x-pipe with the stock mufflers along with the 2.9 Whipple, 80#FI's, JLT CAI but stay with the stock throttle body.

I am past the point of needing to be heard a mile away. I think teh twin screw could be heard better. How much louder is your combo over stock?

I hear you, I don't like loud exhausts anymore either. I like a loud, "cammy" sounding exhaust, but with a mild idling car, loud is 'old' to me now.

The offroad X with stock mufflers sounds awesome, IMHO. Everyone who has heard it has remarked how cool it sounds, and they can't believe they're stock mufflers after they hear it. The offroad X makes that much of a difference.

The blower is not that loud, per se. The stock Eaton with a pulley was about the same dB level, judging by my ear only. Twin Screws just sound way more refined, which is why its nice being able to hear it over the exhaust.

Consider a TB. The stock one feels really, really laggy on that blower. Its a huge SOTP difference with the right aftermarket TB.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I run a 28" ET Street bias ply. Still had a few hundred RPM to go when I ran the pulley and tune setup at 124 mph. Doubtful about having enough RPM to cross the traps now.

DMC Racing in Halifax, MA is doing the cage. I spoke with Dennis last week about it. Should be in the shop late this week, or early next, either way, whenever he gets to it is okay with me. Then I'm having it painted semi-gloss black, and tinting the windows as well.

Massdiesel bought a portable DynoJet last year. He has a full schedule already this year doing various gas and diesel events around the country. He will be the exclusive dyno of Fun Ford Weekend or whatever they are calling it now, held at New England Dragway this August.

Looks great Jake!:beer:

Thanks man! Drove it on a 4 hr. cruise yesterday with a bunch of other 4 eyes. Ran mint. S-L-O-W, but mint.

I hear you, I don't like loud exhausts anymore either. I like a loud, "cammy" sounding exhaust, but with a mild idling car, loud is 'old' to me now.

The offroad X with stock mufflers sounds awesome, IMHO. Everyone who has heard it has remarked how cool it sounds, and they can't believe they're stock mufflers after they hear it. The offroad X makes that much of a difference.

The blower is not that loud, per se. The stock Eaton with a pulley was about the same dB level, judging by my ear only. Twin Screws just sound way more refined, which is why its nice being able to hear it over the exhaust.

Consider a TB. The stock one feels really, really laggy on that blower. Its a huge SOTP difference with the right aftermarket TB.

I owned an 03. The Eaton made a gear sound at boost. I was surpised the Eaton on the Shelby made more of a whistle sound. I put a KB on my 03. Now that's a whole nuther sound. I scared a lot of people with that when I cracked the throttle. I hope the Whipple is at least close to the KB. I need that sound. It gets respect. My 03 was 600 at the tire and with a 3.90 gear all I had to do was crack the throttle at 60 and lay down black stripes. LS-1 drivers ran and hid.

Thanks, sounds like I definately got a plan. My CD term is over in a week or so I'll be giving Lethal a call real soon. Hope they got the mid-pipe and 2.9 in stock.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Nice to read you got her on the dyno and all is good.

For the record...lol...The Revan H/E + Radiator was probably the best
money I could spend on my toy. 1-1/2 hrs of playing on Sunday
and she felt like I just started her up in the morning! F-ing awesome!

G/L with all

svt1111

Established Member
Nice to read you got her on the dyno and all is good.

For the record...lol...The Revan H/E + Radiator was probably the best
money I could spend on my toy. 1-1/2 hrs of playing on Sunday
and she felt like I just started her up in the morning! F-ing awesome!

G/L with all

That is an awesome testimonial for those two products. I am definately going that route after I pay off the balance I owe on this thing.

Jaymass2175

Established Member
Your the Man, I was there for those dyno pulls and that car is a beast. to anyone looking for a nice origional fox the 86 is a dream too. There was a guy at the Mustangs unlimited car show in Ct. Thanking Revan racing for his dual fan set up on his show gt500 that had a liquid cooled kenne Bell 3.6 sitting on top...But he could not say enough about Revan Racing...Getting back to topic i cannot wait to see this car go down the track this year, it should be very impressive. Svt1111 has been a great guide on my mustang spiritual journey as well. Trying to help me from doing everything twice as many of us do and throw good money out the window...Thanks bud........Great car

Van@RevanRacing

Your the Man, I was there for those dyno pulls and that car is a beast. to anyone looking for a nice origional fox the 86 is a dream too. There was a guy at the Mustangs unlimited car show in Ct. Thanking Revan racing for his dual fan set up on his show gt500 that had a liquid cooled kenne Bell 3.6 sitting on top...But he could not say enough about Revan Racing...Getting back to topic i cannot wait to see this car go down the track this year, it should be very impressive. Svt1111 has been a great guide on my mustang spiritual journey as well. Trying to help me from doing everything twice as many of us do and throw good money out the window...Thanks bud........Great car

Thank you to all of my customers for the props. I truly try my very best to deliver products in a timely fashion with the best quality products in cooling available to our cars.

You guys rock and I sincerely cannot thank you enough! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread