2010 GT500 seems slow?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
sounds like you need to mod it. add the pulley an the tune an your good to go

tktlwyr

Established Member
These cars are very big and heavy so you do not feel the speed, but also you really need to ditch the factory tune and you will feel it, and possibly switch to 373s or even 410s and if that doesnt do it, a pulley sure should help

+1. The car just didn't feel as fast as my wife's '02 Z06. The Z06 is lighter, louder and rattles more. After a pulley and tune, it's a different story. The part throttle is soooo much better and the car pulls much harder on top. I'm pretty sure Ford sets these up soft on the bottom to keep the "normal" people from getting crossed up on the street.

If you're unhappy with the way it feels now, a pulley and tune is your answer.

sharke

Established Member
I think its how smooth the power delivery is. When I first got the car I was pretty unimpressed with how fast it was stock but the numbers at the track don't lie. Once I got the pulley+tune its a little more snappy so you can feel the acceleration more.

mrl859

Established Member
Maybe that's it. The Charger (no flaming, please) has pretty instant response, especially on the freeway when the transmission kicks down. I haven't really wound the GT500 out yet.

ironpeddler

Established Member
Has your s/c turned on yet? You have to drive it consistently(without turning it off) for so long before it comes on.

blown65

Established Member
sounds like you need to mod it. add the pulley an the tune an your good to go

X2. Makes a pretty noticealbe difference. Can't quite see putting more power down without some traction changes. 1st is totally worthless and 2nd takes finesse on the street. I'd go with a lower pulley and HE but I think my rear tires would be gone in no time. :D

Jroc

Established Member
Also the cars don't feel brutally fast, more like electrical motor smooth but sneaky fast.

This is your problem.

S197's use electronic TB's and PCM's that take much of the raw feel out of the car. Their alot faster than they feel like they are.

mrl859

Established Member
Has your s/c turned on yet? You have to drive it consistently(without turning it off) for so long before it comes on.
From what I understand, it's 50 heat up and cool down cycles OR five minutes of continuous driving. I drove it 93 miles home on the freeway. It definutely has not seen 50 heat/cool cycles. Does anyone know for sure?

tktlwyr

Established Member
From what I understand, it's 50 heat up and cool down cycles OR five minutes of continuous driving. I drove it 93 miles home on the freeway. It definutely has not seen 50 heat/cool cycles. Does anyone know for sure?

It's 5 continuous miles or 50 key cycles and it's the computer controlling the throttle body, not the s/c. Trust me, if it wasn't working, you'd DEFINITELY know! I was on the phone with the dealership to tell them something was wrong when the 5 miles hit and WooHoo! I hung up the phone.

jimh

Established Member
I know exactly what you mean. I came from an srt8 charger. I have an 09 GT500 now and I was a little disappointed when I first got it but I knew it needed to loosen up. That and it's a different car and I needed to get used to driving it. I have a little under 2000 miles now and it's much faster and more responsive than when I got it. Break it in. Engine, trans, and rear need varying loads for a while. It'll loosen up. Then pulley and tune time.

$.02

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Maybe that's it. The Charger (no flaming, please) has pretty instant response, especially on the freeway when the transmission kicks down. I haven't really wound the GT500 out yet.

That is exactly it, this car wont down shift on its on, drop it down 2 gears on the free way and nail it

I spun the tires and laid rubber at about 55 mph on the highway a month or so ago by doing this.

It was freaking awsome, granted you will want to swap your control arms and so on or else you will probabl just hop

The 373s really helped

mullens

Established Member
Man, that's lot of hate! I didn't sell it yet. Do you want to buy it? Seriously, I'm just looking for guidance here from the veterans. I don't know if I should expect jet like speed out of the box and my car has a problem, or if it's normal to take time to really fly. Chill out.
Apparently you don't know Mr Chuck. He gives a new meaning to the word sarcasm. Cracks me up all the time.

Besides, he's just angry someone stole the flower out of his VW Beetle.

mullens

Established Member
I know exactly what you mean. I came from an srt8 charger. I have an 09 GT500 now and I was a little disappointed when I first got it but I knew it needed to loosen up. That and it's a different car and I needed to get used to driving it. I have a little under 2000 miles now and it's much faster and more responsive than when I got it. Break it in. Engine, trans, and rear need varying loads for a while. It'll loosen up. Then pulley and tune time.

$.02
I had an SRT8 for 2 years. I wasn't impressed with the throttle response. There's a torque hole about 3000 rpm that results in some serious lag. Check the LXforums...guys are still complaining about it. Once it gets that 4200lbs up it goes pretty good.

acobra03

Established Member
It's got 125 miles on it. Should it feel "slow" and somewhat unresponsive?
Power delivery is very smooth compared to my pullied 03 cobra. The cobra felt faster but the 09 gt500 has better times at the track hands down.

dom418

Established Member
This is the wrong place to say "is my gt500 supposed to feel slow?" many on here get all bent out of shape and offended to these types of posts. It is his opinion, don't jump on the guy's case. I think most of it is people expect the GT500 to be a rocket and have such high expectations for this car. It is very refined so it may seem "slow".

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Power delivery is very smooth compared to my pullied 03 cobra. The cobra felt faster but the 09 gt500 has better times at the track hands down.

:idea::thumbsup:

This is the wrong place to say "is my gt500 supposed to feel slow?" many on here get all bent out of shape and offended to these types of posts. It is his opinion, don't jump on the guy's case. I think most of it is people expect the GT500 to be a rocket and have such high expectations for this car. It is very refined so it may seem "slow".

The car 'feels' slow to the OP because he doesn't know or understand what he's feeling.

A Fox Body that is 2 seconds slower will actually 'feel' faster to the OP because because there is a lot more shake, rattle and roll involved with the power delivery.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

dom418

Established Member
Exactly, the GT500 delivers power in a much smoother fashion since the platform is new. It is much more refined.

bpmurr

Established Member
I've got over 5k on my 2010 GT500 now. It just keeps getting better! :) It's about time to go to the dyno.

bpmurr

Established Member
get that bad boy on the wheel:beer:

I'm trying to find a good place near me. I live in Hampstead, MD about 15 minutes north of Westminster, 30 minutes west of Baltimore, 20 minutes south of Hanover, PA. I'd like to keep the drive as short as possible to keep heat build up low. Anyone have a suggestion on where to go?

I'd like to get numbers both with and without my Lund tune from Evo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread