5.0 to cts-v

Elwood617

Established Member
Good point not sure I need 4drs just thinking about it, might just be nice to have. Part of me thinks I need a more grown up car not that I could really articulate why that is. Fortunately I dont have any payments on my car so its not really a problem.

I must admit like another poster Im a little worried that i would want to go right back to a mustang. I have had three of them and they are the only cars I have ever had. The Gm thing should not be a big deal I dont think, I will always be a ford fan but I really care more that the car is quality, and fun. thanks for all the replies.

I would go test drive one, and then take a 24 hour cool off period before making a decision. The CTS-V is an awesome car, just be sure it's what you really want.
It's funny you are thinking about getting out of a Mustang, for a more grown up car. For me, the Mustang is my grown up toy. I am taking a hiatus from sport bikes. The Mustang is my way of keeping my hand in performance vehicles, and having a back seat for the kids :)

Zemedici

Established Member
My head hurts.

CTS-V
Hell yes if you need or want 4-doors.

I love these responses,

"I'm thinking of getting a CTS-V"

No man, get a GT500, it is faster in the 1/4.

"Boy, that's the advice I needed, Thanks"

The OP never asked about 1/4 mile times, merging speeds or anything else about another mustang that I saw.
And some of the answers about car stats, Jesus help me please.

:rockon::rockon::lol::lol:

I love all these broken ass car statistics as well

'oh wait I didnt mean that i meant this, i googled wrong'

OP states desires 4 door = suggests GT500. Hilarity

OP, keep the GT, and do some work to it. We cannot possibly tell you what to do with YOUR money, do whatever will make you happy. :beer:

I would love to have a CTS-V. There was a wagon at the track day last month that was going mid 10s. Insane.

kaz109

Established Member
I have no experience with one, and am a Ford fan, but with that said from everything I've seen the Gen2 CTS-V's seem to be one of those cars that are just over-achievers. Kind of like a new 5.0. They just perform better than what you think they would. Especially for such a big car.

IDK for a fact, but going off just watching YouTube videos it always seems like the supposedly less powerful LSA in the CTS-V's seem to perform better than the LSA in the ZL1's that's suppose to have another 20-30(whatever it is) HP. :shrug:

I'd rock a CTS-V if I wanted a car that met its criteria, and money wasn't an issue. I'd probably rather have a AMG or a Audi RS6, but again I have a natural bias against GM products so I don't want to say that I think the CTS-V is any less of a car. In fact I wish Ford would try and compete in that class with Lincoln, but they don't. The CTS-V is a very cool and legit performance luxury car IMO.

What makes them over-achievers?

Jroc

Established Member
What makes them over-achievers?

They are 4,200-4,300 lbs cars that seem to run very strongly against other cars that are noticeably smaller than them, and making similar power. Obviously having no experience with one I'm basing what I'm saying off of what you see on the internet and YouTube, but I've also had people who have driven them tell me that they are a legitly badass Cadillac that runs hard and that you better not half-step too.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
There's no way that's stock for stock

There is zero debate here. Stock for stock and 5.0 will gets it's shit pushed in by the V in any speed contest. These cars are almost polar opposites.

The retard logic is strong in this thread. You'll never win a debate against that.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
The automatic in the ctsv is very good. Auto cars are every bit as fast and faster than the six speed versions. With decent tires, they launch hard. Nothing funnier than leaving a vette, mustang, Camaro, whatever, at a stop light wondering what just happened. It's my car of choice for anything longer than an hour drive--period. Like sitting on a couch at 90 mph cruising, with the option of stiffening up the suspension with the press of a button

Great interior quality, they look great without being over the top, and it's an lsx motor---easy, cheap to maintain. I've had no issues with mine

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
Did you ever think thats my bone stock setup, I dont advertise my numbers. Secondly.. Just because it has 556hp doesnt mean its fast. Actually to todays standards 556hp is not really a lot. They are making bone stock 5.0s with over 400hp and thats a entry level cloth seat no options. Its food for thought I am giving the CTS-V the benefit of doubt and saying the coupe. Im not even touching on a 4door. If you want to compare that look at the C63 amg 4D. Has 650hp and does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds... almost 5 seconds.. Thats the same as the Jaguar XF and that has a 5.0 supercharged. Both being sedans and neither of them being GM. So please tell me how the CTS-V is more superior in power, performance and handling compared to a GT500 or even a 5.0 or better yet my car which you so quickly assumed was a "Bone stock" cobra. You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

But wait!!! Cadillac says they made it so the wiped blades dont fly off at 180mph!! THAT MEANS ITS AUTOMATICALLY FAST :bash: :nono: :burn:

99% of your posts are incomprehensibly unintelligent. You don't advertise #'s? Are you a hardcore street racer? No one here cares what #'s your car makes my friend. Your initial post regarding the GT500 was ludicrous. 4 doors means 4 doors. Have you actually experienced a CTS-V? I think not.

OP, trade up and don't look back! :beer:

Alensvsix

Established Member
Unless you need a 4dr, stick with the GT and pay it off.

Chasing payments when you can be socking away funds for investments is ftl. I regret many vehicle decisions in my time, that money could have been used for much better things.

I second that!
Wise words that need to be heared!

kaz109

Established Member
They are 4,200-4,300 lbs cars that seem to run very strongly against other cars that are noticeably smaller than them, and making similar power. Obviously having no experience with one I'm basing what I'm saying off of what you see on the internet and YouTube, but I've also had people who have driven them tell me that they are a legitly badass Cadillac that runs hard and that you better not half-step too.

I don't agree with that ( I would if the ctsv was NA and not SC) as the C63 and E63 post the same times with a NA motor...doing the same with less = over achiever IMO . Most ppl love them and I can understand why ( Merica) but given the powerplant I can't understand how ppl can be impressed or surprised by how it performs . If it did it with a NA 6.2 then if would get praise in my book. But at 40k used I could see why so many ppl love it

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Didn't bother to read much of the thread, but I went from a 2012 Boss 302 to a 2011 V Wagon. The V was better than the Boss in every single way except nimbleness around a tight high speed corner at my local road course. The creature comforts, general niceness and modability make it a great car. Upper pulley, ported snout, CAI and tune and I put down 549 at the wheels. Stock it made 48x. There's really no losing :shrug:

Cliffs: T6060 >> 4L80 >>>> dog turds >>>>>>>>>>>>> MT-82

Mika

Established Member
If the CTS-V doesn't have enough on ramp power, I gotta know what the hell are you driving?

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
Go for it. If they're a little out your price range, you can always look at low mileage 04-05 E55 AMG's (5.5L S/C) or E60 V10 M5's. All three are great choices as a luxury 4dr daily driver.

Jbstang87

Established Member
I think if you get for a discount from government motors based on the fact you helped bail them out, i think its a good trade.

o2gt

Established Member
Didn't bother to read much of the thread, but I went from a 2012 Boss 302 to a 2011 V Wagon. The V was better than the Boss in every single way except nimbleness around a tight high speed corner at my local road course. The creature comforts, general niceness and modability make it a great car. Upper pulley, ported snout, CAI and tune and I put down 549 at the wheels. Stock it made 48x. There's really no losing :shrug:

Cliffs: T6060 >> 4L80 >>>> dog turds >>>>>>>>>>>>> MT-82

love the V wagon, I suspect I would get the regular sedan. How are you liking your vantage? they are great cars my dad has a v12v so much fun to drive and the sound is incredible. I must admit the v8v might sound better I went for a ride in a v8s the sound was just intoxicating.

Users who are viewing this thread