Votes: 16 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
LMAO!!! You're a man after my own heart. Always figuring out how to make things work in your favor LOL..............

I try that logic when arguing with my wife. It never seems to workout in my favor LOL.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i dont know about patent/copywright issues with reproducing them. they make all kinds of aftermarket repo parts. i think there are other reasons why not.

1. demand. sure, there's 50 guys on here that want them. but you'd need a demand well into the thousands to produce a part like that. and unfortunately there is a left and a right, theyre not mirror images of each other. so now you're trying to justify two parts. and to be of good quality, they would have to be expensive to justify the cost of making them and low sales volumes. id be willing to be the majority of new edge mustang owners (enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts) prefer the all red lights. does someone make those?

2. DOT. im sure its way more expensive and involved to make DOT approved lights. and they are supposed to be. my wife works for CBP for incoming merchandise. i remember her telling me last year they were inspecting a cargo container full of aftermarket bmw lights (of various years/types). half of them were DOT approved and half werent. they seized the non-DOT products and sent them out to be destroyed. so imagine the $ lost on that shipment, plus Customs charges you for the inspection, storage, and destruction too. and now you're on the radar for future shipments. sure, a lot of stuff does slip through and ends up on cars all over the place. but its a big roll of the dice business wise.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Would I like to have one? Yes. Can I justify spending $400-600 on them? No. It's all a matter of preference!

cmac29

Established Member
Unless I found them for around 2 to 300 maybe but anymore than that and I'm happy all red. Plus mine still look new. If they were worn out and tired different story but spend half for all red. Then use that other money for go fast or handling goodies. To quote my good friend Randy Jackson "it's gonna be a no for me dog"

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IllCobra

Established Member
Some guy on offer up sold a pair for $80 the other day! I was too late.
That would have been a nice flip. Like i said in an earlier post, there are people that don't know what these taillights are worth.

Are the cobra taillights the exact ones that come on the GT's?

T3RMN8U_DANIEL

Established Member
That would have been a nice flip. Like i said in an earlier post, there are people that don't know what these taillights are worth.

Are the cobra taillights the exact ones that come on the GT's?
Yup. Easy $400. He also sold his 99 cobra bumper for $200
Yes. 03/04 cobra are same as gt's.

wckdvnm

Established Member
i dont know about patent/copywright issues with reproducing them. they make all kinds of aftermarket repo parts. i think there are other reasons why not.

1. demand. sure, there's 50 guys on here that want them. but you'd need a demand well into the thousands to produce a part like that. and unfortunately there is a left and a right, theyre not mirror images of each other. so now you're trying to justify two parts. and to be of good quality, they would have to be expensive to justify the cost of making them and low sales volumes. id be willing to be the majority of new edge mustang owners (enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts) prefer the all red lights. does someone make those?

2. DOT. im sure its way more expensive and involved to make DOT approved lights. and they are supposed to be. my wife works for CBP for incoming merchandise. i remember her telling me last year they were inspecting a cargo container full of aftermarket bmw lights (of various years/types). half of them were DOT approved and half werent. they seized the non-DOT products and sent them out to be destroyed. so imagine the $ lost on that shipment, plus Customs charges you for the inspection, storage, and destruction too. and now you're on the radar for future shipments. sure, a lot of stuff does slip through and ends up on cars all over the place. but its a big roll of the dice business wise.

Well Steve there was a guy on the Facebook pages who was going to make some reproductions but obviously change color to avoid Ford causing a issue and he posted saying he received a cease and desist email from someone claiming to be a Ford employee. Something about copyright infringement; who knows but the guy said he wasn't going to be making them anymore. That post was then deleted.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Damn, I shouldn't have said anything. The no's are pulling ahead LOL.

Everyone is different and notice things they find appealing or distasteful. I think most people would notice the taillights before the exhaust solely because the exhaust is under the car and more difficult to see, unless you're driving behind a Cobra. The amber tails are the same concept as the clear corner markers or dark or chrome backing on the head lights. Some spot that right away while others would never catch it.

I have done many modifications to my 65 (shaved door handles, shaved drip rail moldings, shaved bumper bolts, removed badging, removed antenna, installed 03 Cobra brakes, etc.) and most non early Mustang enthusiast have no clue as to what was done to the vehicle. However, I know and I appreciate it and that's all that matters to me.

But in general, unless a person knows the Cobra's they probably will never notice the subtle changes/modifications.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think a polished exhaust would catch a lot more people's attention than some yellow on taillights.
Really? Maybe on a hoist or if the exhaust isn't lined up right and it's hanging to low.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I said no. I do think they looks great on a SB cobra. Someday i might get a set if Something were to come up at around $300. But its not a big enough deal to me to drop that kinda coin on a set.

IllCobra

Established Member
Really? Maybe on a hoist or if the exhaust isn't lined up right and it's hanging to low.

If this cobra in the video would have had his exhaust polished, you can't tell me people would notice the lights more than the shine from the exhaust.
My cobra came with the black 3" Mac catbacks and I plan on switching them to borla stingers and polishing them.

3879353899_695f299332_o.jpg

From 04sleeper: you can't tell me someone wouldn't notice this haha

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

If this cobra in the video would have had his exhaust polished, you can't tell me people would notice the lights more than the shine from the exhaust.
My cobra came with the black 3" Mac catbacks and I plan on switching them to borla stingers and polishing them.

3879353899_695f299332_o.jpg

From 04sleeper: you can't tell me someone wouldn't notice this haha
Ya I notice 04sleepers old car at that angle. The other car looks like its sitting lower. If I stand back looking at my car I only see a very little bit of the exhaust.

I would do ceramic way before polished. Unless you want to constantly polish.
IMAG1470_zpshtl1rolz.jpg

IllCobra

Established Member
Ya I notice 04sleepers old car at that angle. The other car looks like its sitting lower. If I stand back looking at my car I only see a very little bit of the exhaust.

I would do ceramic way before polished. Unless you want to constantly polish.
IMAG1470_zpshtl1rolz.jpg
I wonder if there are certain exhausts that sit a little lower than others?
My cobra is not a daily, so I wouldn't mind giving it a polishing every weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread