A man and his dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
lost 1 of my 3 dogs a few years ago. he was 15 and it didn't make it any easier.

sorry to hear about this. honestly, if i was in your position i would do whatever it takes to make them live as long as possible. it might sound a little selfish, but life is short and death is permanent. i'd rather spoil him to death for an extra few months and put him down when he's in pain, then cut him short of the pain.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Wow Barry, I'm really sorry. It's never easy putting a animal down. I wish you the best man. Dogs are the most loving, selfless creatures I've ever seen.

Zemedici

Established Member
I am so sorry to read/hear this. I just bought a Husky pup named Camber, and I cant imagine the day I lose him.

My condolences go out to you. I truly am sorry you have to go through this. This was one of the toughest things to read, as I lost a dog in a very similar situation 3 years ago. Lost one of my good friends that day. The hole will never be filled that they leave, but I assure you the pain will decrease. It will never subside, but each day is a bit more bareable.

Let us know if you need anything, as we're here for you man.

Zemedici

Established Member
Are they SURE the cancer is in his bloodstream? My last dog was on 3 legs for a good 10 years, damn dog was the fastest one I've ever owned. Made the other dogs look bad

"OH SO A 3 LEGGED DOG IS FASTER THAN YOU?"

Amputate for sure, but as i stated, my dog became accustomed to not having her leg, and it didnt phase her at all. Even at 60 lbs she could jump clear over the couch (3' in the air or so)

phinhead34

Established Member
Wow this hits close to home. I have a 13y/o Bull Terrier named Bandit. Even though he has lived a long and healthy life he is now old. For the past the days he doesn't eat or barely drink any water. He has been a great dog and friend. I will be putting him down today. This is such a sad day for me and much more difficult than I could ever imagine.
It breaks my heart when he looks at me with a face like he knows he's dying. It came far to quick for me. There really is a bond between a man and his dog. I just wanted to say, Bandit I love you and will always miss you.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Like most, I'm a dog person so this was definately hard for me to even read.

Couple years back I had to put down my golden retriever. Its definately difficult with all of the memories. Hope all goes well and I'd agree I wouldn't want mine to be in pain for the rest of its life.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your boy. I know how you feel. I have lost a couple of real good k9 friends over the years. Just recently I lost 2 Labrador retriever pups, brother and sister, to the parvo virus. They were only 6 months old. My prayers go out to you and your family through this trying time.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Very touching story man. I have a GSD as well and hate to think of doing this very thing. Keep your chin up.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
That was a tough read. It's crazy how attached we get with our dogs. My heart goes out to u.

phinhead34

Established Member
Best of luck to you and your family Stampede. I just got home from the vet and its heart wrenching. This was my first time putting my dog down. If there was a positive, it's that he didn't feel a thing. Again my sympathy goes to you and your family.

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
I hate stories like this. I had to put down two of our rotties, and 2 chihuahuas we had. Yes my house was like a zoo. I ended up getting an English Bulldog with my girlfriend and cannot even think about when that time comes around. Just think of all the great memories you had with your best bud. Its better than he's in a better place now rather than suffering. You did the right thing. You have the entire svt family backing you up.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

MGC

Established Member
Best of luck to you and your family Stampede. I just got home from the vet and its heart wrenching. This was my first time putting my dog down. If there was a positive, it's that he didn't feel a thing. Again my sympathy goes to you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your dog as well bud. Thoughts go out to ya. You always got the memories, and after awhile you can get another dog and that'll help. Death is as much a part of life as life itself but it isn't worth it to miss out on memories by avoiding companionship. :beer:

Last edited:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear brother. But from the way you wrote the post we all can tell how much you loved your dog. I'm sure you gave him the best 3 years of his life!

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
So sorry for you loss. I went through something similar once and it is hard to do. Despite it all, you are sometimes faced with doing the right thing and hopefully Sebastian is thanking you for it.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Over the last few days he has been looking at me with these eyes. A look I've never seen from him before. It is the it's OK look.
It's OK dad to let me go.
(Now I'm starting to cry again so bear with me)

It hit me as well. I've been through this last year when we had to put down my dog of 18 years. I really don't want to go though it again but I remember there was always more joy every year she was around than the sadness it brought at the end. Now I'm in the same damn boat with my cat :(

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Thank you all for the kind words and support.

I've cried since waking up this morning after a full afternoon and late night with them.
There was a lot of discussion again this morning with the wife and daughter about it. Made it worse but in the end we went.
It was hard. My mind was made up with the info I had and we again discussed it over with the vet.
After hearing the stats from her mouth I think they finally agreed.
For me it was more about not being selfish and putting him through all this just for our enjoyment.

I will say that after they sedated him I still came close to yelling stop several times but didn't.
The wife had to leave, my daughter and I stayed and petted him the entire time.
He was pronounced at about 10:10 am this morning.
I'm happy that I was there till the end.I watched him take his last breath and would not change that for the world.

They wrapped him in the same sheet that we often used over the car seats and in the living room for them to lay on when we let them in.
I carried him out myself and put him in the back of the truck.
I then rode home in the back of the truck with him.

The hard part is Journey his sister,
She went out and I guess could smell him, she knew he was in the truck.
I dug the hole behind their yard and carried him out there. We let Journey out and she came to the hole, she kept trying to sniff where his head was. I opened the sheet for her to see. She checked on him the entire time and every time we covered him up she tried to uncover him again.

Once I placed him in his resting place she hunched down at the edge and several times it looked like she was going to go down there.

I spent time with her after and I think she knows but she still seems lost as am I.

I will second guess this forever.

This was taken 2 days ago,
74609_568818579813567_1553317159_n.jpg

RIP my buddy.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Reading this, I had tears in my eyes..reminded me of my two border collies. RIP Sebastian. Its a tough decision to make to put a dog down, they feel like family(sometimes more than people do..lol). OP, just remember you made the right decision and you will always have good memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread