A man and his dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I will not cry like a bitch ... nope wont do it. Sorry to hear man.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gotta tell you, Barry, I read your entire post and when I got to the place where Sebastian was looking at you "with those eyes", my eyes welled up with tears. I don't have a dog, never have. But my daughter and her kids have had one for about 8 years and I absolutely know the attachment that develops. It goes from "pet" to "very close friend" very quickly. So to lose Sebastian like this, this soon, is heart breaking for you for sure. Believe me when I say that I'm very sorry for you. I know Sebastian will be greatly missed, but NEVER forgotten.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I havent shed a tear in a couple years now. I did reading this. I am so sorry for you. Going to run home on my lunch break to see my Aussie.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Had a tough time reading this. Kept reminding me of my best buddy that we had to put down about 6 years ago. It was, and still is the worst day of my life. We had him since I was in 2nd grade and he lived for 14 years.

Sorry you have to go through this. I couldn't imagine having to put down a 3 year old. Must be devestating.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
This was difficult to read. We just got a Great Dane puppy several months ago and I can not imagine what you and your family are going through.

Things like this really put our lives into perspective. Everyday mundane problems really pale in comparision when events like this happen.

Our thoughts are with you, your family and your best friend during this difficult time.

Planter

Banned
But my daughter and her kids have had one for about 8 years and I absolutely know the attachment that develops. It goes from "pet" to "very close friend" very quickly.

more like pet to "close family". heck I would put Callie before some of my family.

:)

oldmodman

Established Member
I hate hearing about folks having to put down their pets.

I still remember holding my pit bull when she was let go. She was 19 and had lived a long happy life. But it's still painful. That was back in 96 and I still won't get another dog.

It's way easier to get dumped by a girlfriend.

You will ALWAYS love your dog.

only a gt

Established Member
I'm sitting here in tears at work after reading this. Reminds me so much of the golden retrievers we got when I was in 5th grade. The brother was named Mikey, and he was mine. He was my best friend. His sister, Ginger, was my sister's. He always looked out for Ginger. We were out playing pond hockey one winter and she ventured near the outlet and fell through the ice. Mikey ran over and grabbed her by the collar and pulled her out before we could even react. We taught them to climb the ladder into our treehouse. Mikey would always go up first then help pull Ginger up at the very top. We lived in a very rural town, all back roads, and my sister would always take the dogs with her when she went on a ride with her horse. One summer right before I was about to begin 8th grade, my sister had gone riding with her friend and taken the dogs. They left before I had gotten up, and when they were out a legally blind 90 year old man on oxygen went off the road a bit, and went right over both of the dogs. Never slowed down, never even realized what happened. The last time I ever saw them was the night before, going upstairs to bed. During the summer they slept outside in their doghouse to keep the deer out of the garden. We had a glass front door, and they would always watch through it as we went up the stairs to bed. I still miss them to this day. I don't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy, I'm sorry for your loss.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I sincerely feel for you and your family. I know exactly what you are going thru. Having to put down a dog that hasn't lived a full life is just not fair. Life's just not fair sometimes.

MGC

Established Member
Wow, I'm so sorry to read this. I can still remember when my dog Rex died in my arms on the way to vet because my dad neglected him.

It's always hard to lose a dog, they truly are man's best friend. I believe it's because they are always happy to see you, will never give you back talk or attitude (ok maybe in their own way but never like a person would) and they are always loyal and loving.

I teared up reading this thread. But you did the right thing. That's no way to live.

I know that my dog will eventually pass as well, and every time I think about it it tears me up inside. He was a rescue dog from the pound, so I guess in my own way I feel like I've given him 6 good years at least and I spoil the crap out of him. I take him with to work everyday, we're barely ever apart. I just got back from a vacation in Florida and I couldn't believe how much I missed the little guy! It's just a dog right?

I feel for you. Thoughts and prayers go out to you, I know how hard it is to lose a dog. If you aren't a dog person, I doubt you'll understand how much they mean to someone like you and me.

Here is to Sebastian. May you R.I.P. and run around in joy and pain free in doggie heaven. :beer:

IMG_0435_zps243b8667.jpg

^^ My dog Jack, reading along with me. He knew I was sad and had to see why.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Sorry to hear, hard stuff for sure. I have had hunting dogs my whole life and it hasnt been easy loosing any of them but my current Female Gordon setter will be the hardest for sure. She is my shadow, we do everything together. My father passed away last year and I swear that dog as been even more my shadow in the last year. She could sense the difficulty I was having and has been a super comfort. Dogs are probably the only creature that loves you more than they love themselves, they dont judge and they will be there for you always. The dog is 10 years old now and even my wife says that she not sure what she is going to do with me when they time comes.

Satyr

Established Member
It's always hard to say goodbye to a friend. It's especially sad that he's so young. I have had a few dogs put to sleep and had a few die naturally. It's always been really hard and I can remember those awful days vividly.

Take solace in the fact that you gave him a good life and are willing to sacrifice your own happiness for his. That's the sign of a great owner. Good luck tomorrow and RIP, Sebastian.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
I know I would be a total wreck if I was in your shoes. Its just been me and my pup for four years now, from holding her in my hand to a 100 lb lovable beast that she is now. There really is nothing like having a dog for a pet.

To those that have been in Barry's shoes, do you feel getting another dog will help him and Sebastians sister? Obviously not as a replacement, but as another friend sort of speak.

HoustonGT

Established Member
Glad I had my office door shut b/c this made me start tearing up and crying.

We put down our family dog Rocky about a year ago (he was 10), and I cried like a little girl. It is so difficult to let go of an animal that knows nothing more than love, devotion, and loyalty.
Just the thought of seeing my 3 year old Boxer get old makes me want to leave work right now and go give her the biggest hug in the world. I know it was hard for you to share, but I'm glad you did as it makes us all understand just how precious life can be sometimes; whether its a human or a loving pet.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Well that's too bad and I'm sorry for your dog and your family. I've lost several dogs over the years and it never gets any easier.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Thanks guys, I just spend a couple more hours with them, we went walk a bit, played and gave himmore rub time.
I just came in to eat and have a few errands to run. Still tearing up but I know it will be bad tonight when my oldest gets in from college.

Amalley27

Established Member
This breaks my heart. I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this but I agree with everyone else that you are doing the right thing. It has made me look at my 10 year old boxer a little differently today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread