Age and current time with your employer?

Blackoyote

Established Member
Recently turned 37, will be starting my 13th year with my company in July of this year.

When I graduated college (a couple years late) I quit managing a carwash to take a pay cut and work for $12/hr at my current company...I got in at a great time.

It was already a fairly large company, but our growth has been staggering and I worked my way up to estimating manager after a couple years.

I'll never leave unless it's for a LOT more money and/or a role in some type of automotive/motorcycle industry job that pays close to what I'm making (I'd take a small cut to talk about cars and/or bikes all day lol).

Fat Boss

Established Member
Level 51 here, lol. 4 years at the company, but second time here. I also worked for the direct competition three times. Moral? Don't be afraid to leave a good job for a great job, or a great job for an even better one.

My dad has you all beat. He worked for GE Nuclear for 50 years. Factoid: may dad's manager in 1965 is a management consultant in the business unit I work in today. Dude is made of money at this point but still loves what he does.

Zemedici

Established Member
Recently turned 37, will be starting my 13th year with my company in July of this year.

When I graduated college (a couple years late) I quit managing a carwash to take a pay cut and work for $12/hr at my current company...I got in at a great time.

It was already a fairly large company, but our growth has been staggering and I worked my way up to estimating manager after a couple years.

I'll never leave unless it's for a LOT more money and/or a role in some type of automotive/motorcycle industry job that pays close to what I'm making (I'd take a small cut to talk about cars and/or bikes all day lol).

Be careful what you wish for, i did the latter, started with ‘fun’ jobs, while my wife went straight for the ‘good paying, less fun’ jobs,

I realized she did the right thing. Doing cars all day every day for work sucked the passion right out of me, started to hate cars.

Since getting out of the industry, i love cars again. Spend all my free time on YouTube watching street racing, and shopping for the next toy.

lilcoop03

Established Member
38 years old and in my 8th year with my company. I don't think I will leave unless some crazy opportunity comes along. I have been advancing nicely since I started and the company is growing like crazy. Planning to retire sometime between 58-62 years old.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm 42 and been with my employer for 16 years. It wouldn't be so bad if a person can stay away from management and the normal day to day politics.

I don't hate my job, but the only thing keeping me there is the days off. I work 14 days a month. I could never work a Mon through Friday ever again..

I've said years ago, I won't work there past the age of 50. That place destroys your body. I've seen people that have put 30-40 years in at that place.

Hopefully in a couple years the wife will let me quit.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What's your job, Brady? You said it destroys your body.
Butter plant factory. Repetitive work, concrete floors, 12 hour shifts, both days and nights.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
33, coming up on 11 years of starting my company doing managed IT for a couple of niche markets. Stressful at times but for the most part I have the ability to do what I want when I want, thanks to a great staff and customer base. If one of our kids shows an interest then I will hang around long enough to pass it off to them, otherwise my target is to sell around the time I'm 45 and call it a day.

Zemedici

Established Member
30 years old

As most know I've been doing performance most of my career (~10 years), but recently got out of it. Now I work as an estimator / parts at a high end body shop. Do everything from Lamborghini to Tesla to Prevost to Freightliner.
Following up on this -

Got promoted today

Last week was my first week lololol

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'll be 41 in March. Been at my company for 18 years. We make electrical wire. Residential, utility, and transmission wire. I do industrial electronics and programming. Love my job, love fixing and improving machines. Hate the politics that comes from corporate.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Cooperate Aviation.
Translation: I work on Owner/Operator large cabin aircraft, fly by wire.
Ie; big named people
I am a mechanic, a dash of avionics.

6 years

Retired Army, 1991-2013, retired @ age 42
Wife is also retired, more or less, from Army
I am 48

18e1222c150288bcecf3a6673421d0cc--gulfstream-aerospace-private-jets.jpg

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
38 years old here.....Been with current company for coming up on 8 years. I run my own department and already bring in double what I ever thought I would when I first graduated college. I truly love what I do and the industry I work in is extremely solid. I will probably stay here god willing unless something major ever changed. I don't even think a bigger offer else ware money wise could drag me away. I do desire to move south someday but have a fair amount time left as the youngest is in kindergarten currently and it wouldn't happen until she's done with high school more than likely.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
48. 12 years working for myself now. Do commercial construction consulting. Usually part time but hours ramp up sometimes. Hope I don’t have to get a real job again…

Stanger00

Established Member
39 roughly 9 months

I work for Collins Aerospace mission systems.

Previous job I was at for 8 years.

40 and only 2 years with my current employer. Been in the power industry for 6 after getting out of the military.

Honestly where I am at now is hands down the best place I've ever worked. This place has the least amount of BS I've ever seen. Everyone shows up on time, calling out sick is rare and people generally get along. I have access to a shop and tools and we even have a loaner program. When I come in on OT to cover someone's vacation I can even make my own hours for the most part.

Unless something drastically changes or I decide to leave CA I'll be here until I retire at 62.

Does this power industry cover territory in Northern California? I’m looking to get in scheduling or planning for utility company at any level with hydro, transmission and gas lines.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm 42 and been with my employer for 16 years. It wouldn't be so bad if a person can stay away from management and the normal day to day politics.

I don't hate my job, but the only thing keeping me there is the days off. I work 14 days a month. I could never work a Mon through Friday ever again..

I've said years ago, I won't work there past the age of 50. That place destroys your body. I've seen people that have put 30-40 years in at that place.

12 hour shifts here too, the time off is incredible, 3, 4 and 8 day blocks off at a time...6 weeks vacation, friends have asked if I still work lol. Luckily i'm control room, it's gravy and union scale pay, but I still want out at 59 1/2.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member

I feel this 100%
I see the old timers I work with and there is a 0% chance I'm here that long.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
21.5 Years with Military(retired)
6 almost 7 years with Bosch

Not sure how long I will stay...I don't want to be here now but the work is easy, pay aint bad and I work next door to home. 10 years tops. 49 almost 50 now.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
12 hour shifts here too, the time off is incredible, 3, 4 and 8 day blocks off at a time...6 weeks vacation, friends have asked if I still work lol. Luckily i'm control room, it's gravy and union scale pay, but I still want out at 59 1/2.
Many people also ask if I work at all.

I work 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on , 3 off.

One week is 36 hours and the other is 48 hours. It is nice though, I can take 24 hours PTO and have the whole week off. I usually take a week off every month from April through September.

Users who are viewing this thread